[squeak-dev] I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

[squeak-dev] I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

        Faster Execution Engine

and
        Faster Interoperability Engine

(suggestions as to what FUM could stand for gratefully received).

Yes, you smell the blood of an Englishman.  I would like to be team leader.  The tasks are:

 Faster Execution Engine:
    produce an execution engine that supports closures and provides performance broadly comparable with other Smalltalk JIT virtual machines, of the order of 10 to 20 times faster than the current VM for benchFib.

Faster Interoperability Engine:
    produce a more flexible and faster FFI based on and integrated with the execution technology in FEE.

best
Eliot

Re: [squeak-dev] I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Eliot Miranda wrote:
>         Faster Execution Engine

I am interested in joining this one.

> and        Faster Interoperability Engine
> (suggestions as to what FUM could stand for gratefully received).

Fast Unloadable Modules

> Yes, you smell the blood of an Englishman.

Bryce? I am sure he could help with this :-)

-- Jecel

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Eliot Miranda wrote:
>         Faster Execution Engine

I am interested in joining this one.

Welcome aboard!

> and        Faster Interoperability Engine
> (suggestions as to what FUM could stand for gratefully received).

Fast Unloadable Modules

> Yes, you smell the blood of an Englishman.

Bryce? I am sure he could help with this :-)

Yes, antipodeans have a particularly sharp nose for Englishmen ;)

But yes, Bryce would be very welcome.

-- Jecel

Re: [squeak-dev] I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

Igor Stasenko
2008/12/16 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All,
> new teams called:
>         Faster Execution Engine
> and
>         Faster Interoperability Engine
> (suggestions as to what FUM could stand for gratefully received).
> Yes, you smell the blood of an Englishman.  I would like to be team leader.
>  The tasks are:
>  Faster Execution Engine:
>     produce an execution engine that supports closures and provides
> performance broadly comparable with other Smalltalk JIT virtual machines, of
> the order of 10 to 20 times faster than the current VM for benchFib.
>
> Faster Interoperability Engine:
>     produce a more flexible and faster FFI based on and integrated with the
> execution technology in FEE.

I'm interested in this too :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
2008/12/16 Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>:
> Hi All,
> new teams called:
>         Faster Execution Engine
> and
>         Faster Interoperability Engine
> (suggestions as to what FUM could stand for gratefully received).
> Yes, you smell the blood of an Englishman.  I would like to be team leader.
>  The tasks are:
>  Faster Execution Engine:
>     produce an execution engine that supports closures and provides
> performance broadly comparable with other Smalltalk JIT virtual machines, of
> the order of 10 to 20 times faster than the current VM for benchFib.
>
> Faster Interoperability Engine:
>     produce a more flexible and faster FFI based on and integrated with the
> execution technology in FEE.

I'm interested in this too :)

Welcome aboard.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] re: He would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because he's already working on it :) )

ccrraaiigg

Hi Eliot--

      This seems to be a hit. :)  Okay, I updated the Teams page and
created mailing lists for those teams.

      thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

[squeak-dev] Re: I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

Paolo Bonzini-2

> Faster Interoperability Engine:
>     produce a more flexible and faster FFI based on and integrated with
> the execution technology in FEE.

I would suggest looking at the classes in GNU Smalltalk so that we may
end up having something compatible, but I already hear the FUD (Faster
Unfounded Doubts) team screaming.

Anyway, this stuff is pretty well documented, so I can make a pdf of the
docs so that you can rebuild it cleanly.

Paolo

[squeak-dev] Re: I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

Andreas.Raab
Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> I would suggest looking at the classes in GNU Smalltalk so that we may
> end up having something compatible, but I already hear the FUD (Faster
> Unfounded Doubts) team screaming.

Easy answer: Release that code under MIT and there will be no problem.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> Anyway, this stuff is pretty well documented, so I can make a pdf of the
> docs so that you can rebuild it cleanly.
>
> Paolo

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

Bert Freudenberg

On 17.12.2008, at 16:02, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> I would suggest looking at the classes in GNU Smalltalk so that we
>> may
>> end up having something compatible, but I already hear the FUD
>> (Faster
>> Unfounded Doubts) team screaming.
>
> Easy answer: Release that code under MIT and there will be no problem.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>
>> Anyway, this stuff is pretty well documented, so I can make a pdf
>> of the
>> docs so that you can rebuild it cleanly.
>> Paolo

How about unit tests under MIT? Could serve as both spec and
compatibility test.

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 17.12.2008, at 16:02, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>> I would suggest looking at the classes in GNU Smalltalk so that we may
>>> end up having something compatible, but I already hear the FUD (Faster
>>> Unfounded Doubts) team screaming.
>>
>> Easy answer: Release that code under MIT and there will be no problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
>>
>>> Anyway, this stuff is pretty well documented, so I can make a pdf of the
>>> docs so that you can rebuild it cleanly.
>>> Paolo
>

> How about unit tests under MIT? Could serve as both spec and
> compatibility test.

That's a very good idea.

In the meanwhile I'll prepare the docs.

Paolo

[squeak-dev] Re: I would like to create a new team (actually "old" project because I'm already working on it :) )

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:09:21 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 17.12.2008, at 16:02, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>> I would suggest looking at the classes in GNU Smalltalk so that we may
>>> end up having something compatible, but I already hear the FUD (Faster
>>> Unfounded Doubts) team screaming.
>>
>> Easy answer: Release that code under MIT and there will be no problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
>>
>>> Anyway, this stuff is pretty well documented, so I can make a pdf of
>>> the docs so that you can rebuild it cleanly.
>>> Paolo
>
> How about unit tests under MIT? Could serve as both spec and
> compatibility test.

+ 1 for the hero of the day. Seriously. This is soo obvious that nobody
even thought about it until you suggested it <de>Hut ab</de>

/Klaus

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein