[squeak-dev] Is Morphic 'frozen'?

Igor Stasenko
Hello all,

forgive me for my ignorance, i'm just want to know the current state
of Morphic package and it's destiny.

- is Morphic is 'frozen' by now?
- is there are people who spending time improving/reviewing it?

My concern is not about fixing bugs or supporting it in general but
about moving forward.

Lately, Gary Chambers added new feature to his UI Enhancements package
to support a different kinds of fill styles (through subclassing a
FillStyle).
And after overlooking the changes/extensions it gives me a feeling
that there is an big need in refactoring in Morphic to support this
nice feature, instead of dealing with workarounds.

Who in charge there? Who is deciding what is good and what is bad?
And how such things (like better and more flexible FillStyles) or any
other improvements can find a way to make them appear in Morphic?
Being more than a year with squeak community i didn't saw any
noticeable movement around improvement Morphic/UI except Gary's work.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Is Morphic 'frozen'?

Tapple Gao
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 06:06:54AM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> forgive me for my ignorance, i'm just want to know the current state
> of Morphic package and it's destiny.

Morphic has been without a maintainer or a leader for a while.
Currently, there are three people/projects trying to improve
that situation:
- Gary Chambers has been making add-on improvements to Morphic
  as part of his day-job at Pinesoft, and a lot of people like
  them
- Bert and Yoshiki are maintaining Morphic so that eToys
  continues to be a useful system for kids. They did some core
  changes to Morphic to support nice zooming and more mouse
  cursors as part of OLPC EToys
- Edgar has done a project "Lladrillos" to modularize Morphic
  the same way 3.9 modularized squeak

> - is Morphic is 'frozen' by now?

Yes. It has not had major improvements in a long time.

> - is there are people who spending time improving/reviewing it?

See above

> My concern is not about fixing bugs or supporting it in general but
> about moving forward.
>
> Lately, Gary Chambers added new feature to his UI Enhancements package
> to support a different kinds of fill styles (through subclassing a
> FillStyle).
> And after overlooking the changes/extensions it gives me a feeling
> that there is an big need in refactoring in Morphic to support this
> nice feature, instead of dealing with workarounds.
>
> Who in charge there? Who is deciding what is good and what is bad?
> And how such things (like better and more flexible FillStyles) or any
> other improvements can find a way to make them appear in Morphic?
> Being more than a year with squeak community i didn't saw any
> noticeable movement around improvement Morphic/UI except Gary's work.

Indeed. Gary is doing more for Morphic than has been done in a
good while. I am sure he would make a great Morphic team leader
should he choose to. He listens to requests and knows how to
respond to them

I think the steps toward being a successful leader in a project
like squeak are something like this:

1. Make friends with the community at large
2. Find a group of people who care more than average about an
   issue that you care about
3. Discuss ideas deeply with your group, and listen to the
   community as well
4. Learn the skills of your group, and discuss what each of you
   could do personally to fix your issue.
5. Write a plan
6. Share the plan with your friends
7. Start acting out the plan

Gathering a group of friends, making plans, and acting on them
take effort. But I think it is how one leads. The single most
important thing, however, is communicating. If you are willing
to make a big effort at communicating, you are probably a good
leader, even if you aren't yet a good communicator.
Communication takes practice; don't despair if you aren't great
yet.

Re: [squeak-dev] Is Morphic 'frozen'?

Giuseppe
I think you forgot...
  - Morphic 3 by Juan Vuletich.
  - EasyMorphicGui
  - Tweak.

Cheers.

On 23/03/2008, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think you forgot...

No, i don't.

>   - Morphic 3 by Juan Vuletich.
- separate project

>   - EasyMorphicGui
- uses Morpic

>   - Tweak.
- separate project

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Is Morphic 'frozen'?

Igor Stasenko
I wish to see organized group of developers who want to maintain Morphic.
It is not good that significant part of squeak is not maintained by anyone.

I heard that some works are done/currently doing by different people
in different projects. What is not happening, that we don't see such
improvements in squeak release for a while. I think that if we would
be better organized, then we could make much better progress in
Morphic, rather than currently sparse people/groups making their own
patches which is having small chances to be included in Morphic
because there is no authority which can guide or approve such changes
in Squeak release.

Maybe it's time to discuss how we can consolidate and organize work
around Morphic to make things happen and make them happen to everyone
who using squeak?

Oh, and please, don't take me wrong. I don't want discuss new next-gen
framework for squeak, or any another existing frameworks as Tweak.
Squeak release are based on Morphic. And while its so,  we need to
maintain it's current framework instead of waiting for a miracle to
happen when it will be replaced by another, more powerful / flexible
e.t.c etc framework.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Is Morphic 'frozen'?

Karl-19
Igor Stasenko wrote:

> I wish to see organized group of developers who want to maintain Morphic.
> It is not good that significant part of squeak is not maintained by anyone.
>
> I heard that some works are done/currently doing by different people
> in different projects. What is not happening, that we don't see such
> improvements in squeak release for a while. I think that if we would
> be better organized, then we could make much better progress in
> Morphic, rather than currently sparse people/groups making their own
> patches which is having small chances to be included in Morphic
> because there is no authority which can guide or approve such changes
> in Squeak release.
>
> Maybe it's time to discuss how we can consolidate and organize work
> around Morphic to make things happen and make them happen to everyone
> who using squeak?
>
> Oh, and please, don't take me wrong. I don't want discuss new next-gen
> framework for squeak, or any another existing frameworks as Tweak.
> Squeak release are based on Morphic. And while its so,  we need to
> maintain it's current framework instead of waiting for a miracle to
> happen when it will be replaced by another, more powerful / flexible
> e.t.c etc framework.

But we have to discuss if we are going to use Pavel Kirvaneks packages
for further Squeak releases.
Otherwise I agree we need to work on Morphic. I tested Sophie yesterday
and noticed that the textfields could handle multiple fonts! We need
that enhancement! A roadmap of wanted features and enhancements would be
a good start.

Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] Is Morphic 'frozen'?

stephane ducasse
I would be interested in any effort that
        - identify key classes in morphic and throw away the rest. Really
throw away experimental
        or old code.
        - clean all the use of dictionary based instance variable (see Morph
Extensions)
        terrible to browse code.
        - fix the wrongly placed methods (like halos spec definition in
Preference class side)
        - remove the three different kind of menus
        - remove etoy dependencies and hacks. People that want to have fun
with Etoy should use SqueakLand image.
        Period.
        - use announcements to avoid a lot of pluggableXXX
        - clean up events (john told me that morphic was eating a lot of them)
        - fix the positioning of subwidgets

I know that alain plantec tried to clean morphic and after a while he
started to work on Miro
which I'm really eager to play with.

Stef

On Mar 23, 2008, at 11:19 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> I wish to see organized group of developers who want to maintain
> Morphic.
> It is not good that significant part of squeak is not maintained by
> anyone.
>
> I heard that some works are done/currently doing by different people
> in different projects. What is not happening, that we don't see such
> improvements in squeak release for a while. I think that if we would
> be better organized, then we could make much better progress in
> Morphic, rather than currently sparse people/groups making their own
> patches which is having small chances to be included in Morphic
> because there is no authority which can guide or approve such changes
> in Squeak release.
>
> Maybe it's time to discuss how we can consolidate and organize work
> around Morphic to make things happen and make them happen to everyone
> who using squeak?
>
> Oh, and please, don't take me wrong. I don't want discuss new next-gen
> framework for squeak, or any another existing frameworks as Tweak.
> Squeak release are based on Morphic. And while its so,  we need to
> maintain it's current framework instead of waiting for a miracle to
> happen when it will be replaced by another, more powerful / flexible
> e.t.c etc framework.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Is Morphic 'frozen'?

Stéphane Rollandin
stephane ducasse a écrit :
> I would be interested in any effort that
>     - identify key classes in morphic and throw away the rest. Really
> throw away experimental
>     or old code.

beware that what is old to you may be current to others. for example I
remember you stating a few years ago on this list that bookmorphs should
be discarded. well I use them (a lot) in muO (and I improved them a lot
to, so maybe I could contribute)

>     - remove etoy dependencies and hacks. People that want to have fun
> with Etoy should use SqueakLand image.
>     Period.

this is harsh: I'm using Etoy in muO (not much but enough to care about
it); so what are you suggesting for my "fun" ? should I port muO to
Squeakland, which I never used ?

please respect the way other people (me, for example) use and work with
Squeak. for what I understand you do not use Morphic very much. I do, a
lot, and I can tell you this is to me THE major strong feature in
Squeak. If it was not for Morphic I would only code in Lisp. Morphic is
incredibly powerful and has absolutely no equivalent that I know of, so
please, please leave to the people using it the decision about which
part of it should be discarded. about Etoys, this has been discussed in
this list many times, and the solution that makes everybody happy is
very simple: ok to remove it if it can be loaded back.

I really feel offended by your "Period" sentence, so please forgive my
tone if it seems rude in this message; I just want to be clear.

regards

On 24/03/2008, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> stephane ducasse a écrit :
>
> > I would be interested in any effort that
>  >     - identify key classes in morphic and throw away the rest. Really
>  > throw away experimental
>  >     or old code.
>

> beware that what is old to you may be current to others. for example I
>  remember you stating a few years ago on this list that bookmorphs should
>  be discarded. well I use them (a lot) in muO (and I improved them a lot
>  to, so maybe I could contribute)
>

>  >     - remove etoy dependencies and hacks. People that want to have fun
>  > with Etoy should use SqueakLand image.
>  >     Period.
>

> this is harsh: I'm using Etoy in muO (not much but enough to care about
>  it); so what are you suggesting for my "fun" ? should I port muO to
>  Squeakland, which I never used ?
>
>  please respect the way other people (me, for example) use and work with
>  Squeak. for what I understand you do not use Morphic very much. I do, a
>  lot, and I can tell you this is to me THE major strong feature in
>  Squeak. If it was not for Morphic I would only code in Lisp. Morphic is
>  incredibly powerful and has absolutely no equivalent that I know of, so
>  please, please leave to the people using it the decision about which
>  part of it should be discarded. about Etoys, this has been discussed in
>  this list many times, and the solution that makes everybody happy is
>  very simple: ok to remove it if it can be loaded back.
>
>  I really feel offended by your "Period" sentence, so please forgive my
>  tone if it seems rude in this message; I just want to be clear.

I think Stephane by saying 'remove' meant  'replace by equivalent
functionality and review the users of it to match new design'.
We need to throw away classes to do some cleaning. Such classes can be
detached into separate package.
Why i agree with Stephane on that? Its because if we need to see
Morphic better maintainable then reducing the code size is good way to
achieve that.

Igor Stasenko a écrit :
> I think Stephane by saying 'remove' meant  'replace by equivalent
> functionality and review the users of it to match new design'.

hopefully :)

> We need to throw away classes to do some cleaning. Such classes can be
> detached into separate package.
> Why i agree with Stephane on that? Its because if we need to see
> Morphic better maintainable then reducing the code size is good way to
> achieve that.

sure, I also agree with this. as long as the cleaning is done cleanly,
let's clean ...

Stef