[squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

[squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

Dan Ingalls
You can find it here:

        http://research.sun.com/projects/JSqueak/

It's in exactly the state I left it in 2006, so it still needs color
and warpBlt support to be finished, and files/sockets, as desired.
That said it's nicely compact, and it performs usably.

The license is totally open MIT.  There's a mail list to sign up for
potato-specific items (oops I mean JSqueak;-), though some of that
discussion (and possibly all) might be relevant and better located
here.  If so, use [JSqueak] in the subject so people can filter.

Have fun!

        - Dan

PS:  If you have been using an unofficial version of the sources,
please now replace them with these and discard the old ones.  Thanks

Re: [squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

Pavel Krivanek
Hi Dan,

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can find it here:
>
>        http://research.sun.com/projects/JSqueak/
>
> It's in exactly the state I left it in 2006, so it still needs color and
> warpBlt support to be finished, and files/sockets, as desired. That said
> it's nicely compact, and it performs usably.
>
> The license is totally open MIT.  There's a mail list to sign up for
> potato-specific items (oops I mean JSqueak;-), though some of that
> discussion (and possibly all) might be relevant and better located here.  If
> so, use [JSqueak] in the subject so people can filter.
>
> Have fun!

Great! Thank you very much. Have you any experiences with running of
images that have different  endian? It seems that it still doesn't
work. As far as I remember there was a problem with absence of
unsigned types in Java...

Cheers,
-- Pavel

RE: [squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

frank.lesser
Hi Dan,

This is great, just great. It is a great contribution to keep Smalltalk
alive - to make it more popular & to revive it.

What I would suggest - hope that someone takes it:

Make that title window "Squeak - a free Smalltalk".
Make a link or print how to use it - we know Smalltalk & Squeak but
newcomers?
Need to be posted to c.l.s. & also to the ruby ng.
What about to send a message about it to German CT magazine?

Frank

[squeak-dev] [JSqueak] Re: JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

Dan Ingalls
Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote...

>Great! Thank you very much. Have you any experiences with running of
>images that have different  endian? It seems that it still doesn't
>work. As far as I remember there was a problem with absence of
>unsigned types in Java...

Could be.

My hope in releasing it is that some small cadre of folks with an interest would finish such things and make it not just usable but actually useful.  They will probably start making noises here in the next little while.

        - Dan

[squeak-dev] [JSqueak] Re: JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

Dan Ingalls
Frank Lesser <[hidden email]> wrote...

>This is great, just great. It is a great contribution to keep Smalltalk
>alive - to make it more popular & to revive it.
>
>What I would suggest - hope that someone takes it:
>
>Make that title window "Squeak - a free Smalltalk".
>Make a link or print how to use it - we know Smalltalk & Squeak but
>newcomers?
>Need to be posted to c.l.s. & also to the ruby ng.
>What about to send a message about it to German CT magazine?

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Frank.

A few more things need to be finished up before it is ready for publicity.  Done right, it could be very neat, but methinks it it would be a mistake to promote it beyond this small circle of friends right now.

        - Dan

Re: [squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

stephane ducasse
Hi dan

tx a lot. It is nice to see that happening after all :)
I proposed to michael to share a svn so that we can collect the
changes. Now should we use SUN infrastructure or not?
I could set up a project in the INRIA forge and let you and michael
admin it.

Stef

On Jun 21, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Dan Ingalls wrote:

> You can find it here:
>
> http://research.sun.com/projects/JSqueak/
>
> It's in exactly the state I left it in 2006, so it still needs color
> and warpBlt support to be finished, and files/sockets, as desired.
> That said it's nicely compact, and it performs usably.
>
> The license is totally open MIT.  There's a mail list to sign up for
> potato-specific items (oops I mean JSqueak;-), though some of that
> discussion (and possibly all) might be relevant and better located
> here.  If so, use [JSqueak] in the subject so people can filter.
>
> Have fun!
>
> - Dan
>
> PS:  If you have been using an unofficial version of the sources,
> please now replace them with these and discard the old ones.  Thanks

Re: [squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

Victor Rodriguez-5
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi dan
>
> tx a lot. It is nice to see that happening after all :)
> I proposed to michael to share a svn so that we can collect the changes. Now
> should we use SUN infrastructure or not?
> I could set up a project in the INRIA forge and let you and michael admin
> it.

There is always google code, which is reasonably fast (inluding the wiki)..

Best Regards,

Victor Rodriguez.

> Stef
>
> On Jun 21, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Dan Ingalls wrote:
>
>> You can find it here:
>>
>>        http://research.sun.com/projects/JSqueak/
>>
>> It's in exactly the state I left it in 2006, so it still needs color and
>> warpBlt support to be finished, and files/sockets, as desired. That said
>> it's nicely compact, and it performs usably.
>>
>> The license is totally open MIT.  There's a mail list to sign up for
>> potato-specific items (oops I mean JSqueak;-), though some of that
>> discussion (and possibly all) might be relevant and better located here.  If
>> so, use [JSqueak] in the subject so people can filter.
>>
>> Have fun!
>>
>>        - Dan
>>
>> PS:  If you have been using an unofficial version of the sources, please
>> now replace them with these and discard the old ones.  Thanks

Re: [squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

Robert Krahn
Hi!

> There is always google code, which is reasonably fast (inluding the
> wiki)..

... or even better: open.collab.net. We used the Collabnet services
intensively during our last project and they provide really good
tooling for hosting and managing a project like JSqueak.

Besides a reliable SVN repository open.collab.net provides tools for
user stories, a bug tracking system, mailing lists, RSS'able
announcements and more.

Robert

Re: [squeak-dev] JSqueak, the erstwhile Potato, is out!

stephane ducasse
Excellent?
Can you do something? Dan is it ok?