[squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

[squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

Thomas Kowark
Hi list,

I have downloaded a squeak 3.10 based web-dev image from Damien
Cassou's website and stumbled upon the following problem:

Some of the tests in my current project are setting
#shouldInheritSelectors to true. This leads to a method
#withInheritedSelectors being called.
This method now tries to call #allSelectorsBelow, which unfortunately
is not implemented by any class. A quick Google lookup revealed that
this method comes with the KernelExtensions package. After installing
the package, the tests worked just fine.

Damien, could you include this package into the next release of the
images, or are there any problems with it, I am not aware of?

Oh, and before I forget. The SqueakMapPackageLoader crashes when I try
to start it from the world menu. If it doesn't work anymore, it would
also be a good idea to remove it from the world menu, wouldn't it?

kind regards,

Thomas Kowark

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Thomas Kowark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Damien, could you include this package into the next release of the images,
> or are there any problems with it, I am not aware of?

Keith, this is about SUnit-Improved. What do you think?

> Oh, and before I forget. The SqueakMapPackageLoader crashes when I try to
> start it from the world menu. If it doesn't work anymore, it would also be a
> good idea to remove it from the world menu, wouldn't it?

Which image did you try? I thought I fixed it.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

Thomas Kowark
I have tried the latest one from your website (sq3.10.2-7179web08.11.1). Downloaded it today.
The error is MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>select:.
objects seems to be nil here for some reason.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Thomas Kowark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have tried the latest one from your website (sq3.10.2-7179web08.11.1).
> Downloaded it today.
> The error is MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>select:.
> objects seems to be nil here for some reason.

I thought the bug was fixed by Kent but it does not seem to be the
case. I contacted him to see what happens.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

Thomas Kowark
Thank you for the quick and helpful response, Damien.

BTW which is the preferred system for installing packages?

While the squeak map package loader wasn't working, I've been going
with the universe browser.
This worked fine, too, but unfortunately some packages were available
only in older versions.
Are there any ongoing efforts to unify those two systems?

kind regards,

Thomas

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Thomas Kowark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While the squeak map package loader wasn't working, I've been going with the
> universe browser.
> This worked fine, too, but unfortunately some packages were available only
> in older versions.

For each package, please ask the maintainer to update the Universe. If
they do not answer, ask me.

> Are there any ongoing efforts to unify those two systems?

No because Universe is a set of packages "known to work" together in a
given image whereas SqueakMap is a set of all packages ever written
for Squeak.

Bye

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

keith1y
Thomas Kowark wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have downloaded a squeak 3.10 based web-dev image from Damien
> Cassou's website and stumbled upon the following problem:
>
> Some of the tests in my current project are setting
> #shouldInheritSelectors to true. This leads to a method
> #withInheritedSelectors being called.
> This method now tries to call #allSelectorsBelow, which unfortunately
> is not implemented by any class. A quick Google lookup revealed that
> this method comes with the KernelExtensions package. After installing
> the package, the tests worked just fine.
#allSelectorsBelow: is available separately to KernelExtensions in an
attempt to reduce dependencies. I believe it has been harvested into
Pharo. It is available as:

Installer mantis ensureFix: 7166.

and is now included with LevelPlayingField
(http://installer.pbwiki.com/LevelPlayingField)
> Damien, could you include this package into the next release of the
> images, or are there any problems with it, I am not aware of?
> While the squeak map package loader wasn't working, I've been going
> with the universe browser.
> This worked fine, too, but unfortunately some packages were available
> only in older versions.
> Are there any ongoing efforts to unify those two systems?
Yes there is Sake-Packages available via:

Installer install: 'Packages'.

This has all the package definitions as generated from the development
Universe, and we users can override these definitions in various ways to
keep them up to date, even when the maintainers have forgotten to update
Universes. Optionally you can also load similar definitions generated
from the SqueakMap map.

You can define "known to work in specific image" definitions, and "beta
- try the latest code" definitions.

Sake-Packages can be told about and use dependencies, it can load from
anywhere including squeakmap (even if squeakmap is not loaded). It can
also add dependencies to the existing SqueakMap data.

So... please do join [hidden email] to monitor
changes and discuss this collaborative work, and join the we USERs of
the packages in determining what works where.

best regards

Keith

p.s. People hanging out on irc #squeak are also available to help
collaborate to get as much working for as many people as possible.

[squeak-dev] [Ann] Sake-Packages new feature

keith1y

> Yes there is Sake-Packages available via:
>
> Installer install: 'Packages'.
>
> This has all the package definitions as generated from the development
> Universe, and we users can override these definitions in various ways to
> keep them up to date, even when the maintainers have forgotten to update
> Universes. Optionally you can also load similar definitions generated
> from the SqueakMap map.
>
> You can define "known to work in specific image" definitions, and "beta
> - try the latest code" definitions.
>
> Sake-Packages can be told about and use dependencies, it can load from
> anywhere including squeakmap (even if squeakmap is not loaded). It can
> also add dependencies to the existing SqueakMap data.
>
> So... please do join [hidden email] to monitor
> changes and discuss this collaborative work, and join the we USERs of
> the packages in determining what works where.
>
> best regards
>
> Keith
>
> p.s. People hanging out on irc #squeak are also available to help
> collaborate to get as much working for as many people as possible.

I just added a new feature to Sake-Packages

If universes, and "Packages current" defines a package as being loadable
from url: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Aida/Aida-5.6.mcz'.

"Packages beta" will now attempt to automatically work out where the
beta code is, i.e. the latest.

e.g.

Packages beta load: 'Aida'.

Will load using the latest code available from the repository for Aida
and its dependencies i.e. Swazoo.

Installer squeaksource project: 'Aida'; install: 'Aida'.

cheers

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

Göran Krampe
Damien Cassou wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Thomas Kowark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have tried the latest one from your website (sq3.10.2-7179web08.11.1).
>> Downloaded it today.
>> The error is MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>select:.
>> objects seems to be nil here for some reason.
>
> I thought the bug was fixed by Kent but it does not seem to be the
> case. I contacted him to see what happens.

Ehm, who is Kent? Ken? Anyway, I presume this is the same issue we
discussed the other day and no, haven't fixed it yet BUT there is a
simple workaround:

Before opening the loader, make sure to run another Squeak image in the
same directory and open/update the SqueakMap package loader in that image.

This will make sure you have a subdir called "sm" with a map.xxx.sqz
file in it. ....or just copy the "sm" dir from some other directory
where you have a working SqueakMap image.

regards, Göran

PS. Will hopefully soon make a fix release to get this solved.