[squeak-dev] Kernel fixes

Andreas.Raab
Folks -

While fixing Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: in our internal images, I
noticed that 3.10 was still missing a number of important Kernel fixes
that we've long taken for granted. If you run servers or rely otherwise
on heavy process/delay/semaphore usage you will definitely want to apply
the fixes provided at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321

To install, either download the patches or just execute:

        Installer mantis fixBug: 7321.

Do note that these fixes apply only to 3.10 since they assume other
changes to be present (so they won't work against 3.9 for example).
Also, they depend on each other so unless you are really careful you
should not pick and choose (this is why they are filed as a single bug).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel fixes

Juan Vuletich-4
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Folks -
>
> While fixing Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: in our internal images, I
> noticed that 3.10 was still missing a number of important Kernel fixes
> that we've long taken for granted. If you run servers or rely
> otherwise on heavy process/delay/semaphore usage you will definitely
> want to apply the fixes provided at
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321
>
> To install, either download the patches or just execute:
>
>     Installer mantis fixBug: 7321.
>
> Do note that these fixes apply only to 3.10 since they assume other
> changes to be present (so they won't work against 3.9 for example).
> Also, they depend on each other so unless you are really careful you
> should not pick and choose (this is why they are filed as a single bug).
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Thanks Andreas!

I loaded all this in my 3.7 derived image, and everything seems to work
fine. I had previously loaded the following related changesets from you:
    SafeDelay-2.cs, DelayTweaks.cs, DelayStartup.cs (from Mantis #6576,
update #7144 in 3.10)
    SemaCritical.cs (from Mantis #6588, update #7153 in 3.10)
Are these the other changes assumed to be present?

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel fixes

keith1y
Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Folks -
>>
>> While fixing Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: in our internal images, I
>> noticed that 3.10 was still missing a number of important Kernel
>> fixes that we've long taken for granted. If you run servers or rely
>> otherwise on heavy process/delay/semaphore usage you will definitely
>> want to apply the fixes provided at
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321
>>
>> To install, either download the patches or just execute:
>>
>>     Installer mantis fixBug: 7321.
>>
>> Do note that these fixes apply only to 3.10 since they assume other
>> changes to be present (so they won't work against 3.9 for example).
>> Also, they depend on each other so unless you are really careful you
>> should not pick and choose (this is why they are filed as a single bug).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas
>>

> Thanks Andreas!
>
> I loaded all this in my 3.7 derived image, and everything seems to
> work fine. I had previously loaded the following related changesets
> from you:
>    SafeDelay-2.cs, DelayTweaks.cs, DelayStartup.cs (from Mantis #6576,
> update #7144 in 3.10)
>    SemaCritical.cs (from Mantis #6588, update #7153 in 3.10)
> Are these the other changes assumed to be present?
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Vuletich
Are you a LevelPlayingField user? should we attempt to put these fixes
into LPF?

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Kernel fixes

Juan Vuletich-4
Keith Hodges wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>> Folks -
>>>
>>> While fixing Semaphore>>waitTimeoutMSecs: in our internal images, I
>>> noticed that 3.10 was still missing a number of important Kernel
>>> fixes that we've long taken for granted. If you run servers or rely
>>> otherwise on heavy process/delay/semaphore usage you will definitely
>>> want to apply the fixes provided at
>>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7321
>>>
>>> To install, either download the patches or just execute:
>>>
>>>     Installer mantis fixBug: 7321.
>>>
>>> Do note that these fixes apply only to 3.10 since they assume other
>>> changes to be present (so they won't work against 3.9 for example).
>>> Also, they depend on each other so unless you are really careful you
>>> should not pick and choose (this is why they are filed as a single bug).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>   - Andreas
>>>

>> Thanks Andreas!
>>
>> I loaded all this in my 3.7 derived image, and everything seems to
>> work fine. I had previously loaded the following related changesets
>> from you:
>>    SafeDelay-2.cs, DelayTweaks.cs, DelayStartup.cs (from Mantis #6576,
>> update #7144 in 3.10)
>>    SemaCritical.cs (from Mantis #6588, update #7153 in 3.10)
>> Are these the other changes assumed to be present?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>
> Are you a LevelPlayingField user? should we attempt to put these fixes
> into LPF?
>
> Keith

Hi Keith,

I'm not using LPF. I'm not even using MC!

Your second question, I'll leave it to Andreas...

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

[squeak-dev] Re: Kernel fixes

Andreas.Raab
Juan Vuletich wrote:
> I loaded all this in my 3.7 derived image, and everything seems to work
> fine. I had previously loaded the following related changesets from you:
>    SafeDelay-2.cs, DelayTweaks.cs, DelayStartup.cs (from Mantis #6576,
> update #7144 in 3.10)
>    SemaCritical.cs (from Mantis #6588, update #7153 in 3.10)
> Are these the other changes assumed to be present?

I'm honestly not sure. If you want to make sure I'd recommend filing out
Delay and Process and do a diff to the version in your image. If there
are differences we can try to find the appropriate fixes on mantis.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

[squeak-dev] Re: Kernel fixes

Andreas.Raab
Keith Hodges wrote:
> Are you a LevelPlayingField user? should we attempt to put these fixes
> into LPF?

I wouldn't do it. The changes are fairly high-risk, if anything goes
wrong when loading them into a random image this image is toast. More
importantly, if people decide to stay back that far they probably have
good reason and need some control over the stuff they're running.
Changing the way Delay and Process work under their feet is nothing I
would want to have done to my images unless I am in firm control of the
process.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Kernel fixes

Juan Vuletich-4
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> I loaded all this in my 3.7 derived image, and everything seems to
>> work fine. I had previously loaded the following related changesets
>> from you:
>>    SafeDelay-2.cs, DelayTweaks.cs, DelayStartup.cs (from Mantis
>> #6576, update #7144 in 3.10)
>>    SemaCritical.cs (from Mantis #6588, update #7153 in 3.10)
>> Are these the other changes assumed to be present?
>
> I'm honestly not sure. If you want to make sure I'd recommend filing
> out Delay and Process and do a diff to the version in your image. If
> there are differences we can try to find the appropriate fixes on mantis.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Right. Did that. The few diffs I found have no relation to your changes.
I can confirm that the loading sequence I did is ok.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich