[squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

bpi

[squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

bpi
Dear Squeakers,

Is Squeak 3.10 still maintained in the sense that bugs are fixed? lf
yes, who is the maintainer? In other words: Who has the password to
upload new
images to ftp.squeak.org/3.10? If I remember correctly 3.8 and 3.9
were maintained like that.

I also wonder what is the best filter to use on Mantis to find all
open bugs in the latest 3.10.2 image, i.e. the one newbies download as
the latest stable release.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: [squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

Randal L. Schwartz

Bernhard> Is Squeak 3.10 still maintained in the sense that bugs are fixed? lf  yes, who
Bernhard> is the maintainer? In other words: Who has the password to  upload new
Bernhard> images to ftp.squeak.org/3.10? If I remember correctly 3.8 and 3.9  were
Bernhard> maintained like that.

3.10.2 is the latest "production" Squeak, and is currently frozen
so that we can create Squeak 4.0 from it, which will be the first
clean-licensed version of Squeak.  We expect this work will complete
soon.

After that, a 4.1 release will come out shortly, based on 3.11-ish images,
which will have maintenance tools so that we can start fixing bugs again.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

bpi
Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers,
Bernhard

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

bpi
Hi Randal,

I have a follow up question: So if someone wanted to contribute to
Squeak now the version to do that in would be 3.11, right?

Thanks for your support!

Bernhard

> Bernhard> Is Squeak 3.10 still maintained in the sense that bugs are
> fixed? lf  yes, who
> Bernhard> is the maintainer? In other words: Who has the password
> to  upload new
> Bernhard> images to ftp.squeak.org/3.10? If I remember correctly 3.8
> and 3.9  were
> Bernhard> maintained like that.
>
> 3.10.2 is the latest "production" Squeak, and is currently frozen
> so that we can create Squeak 4.0 from it, which will be the first
> clean-licensed version of Squeak.  We expect this work will complete
> soon.
>
> After that, a 4.1 release will come out shortly, based on 3.11-ish
> images,
> which will have maintenance tools so that we can start fixing bugs
> again.

> 777 0095
> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside
> discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

Randal L. Schwartz

Bernhard> I have a follow up question: So if someone wanted to contribute to
Bernhard> Squeak now the version to do that in would be 3.11, right?

Actually, the most critically needed resources are on the 4.0 licensing
effort, because nothing new can really happen until that's done, and some
coding will likely be required to finish the task.  Matthew Fulmer is
currently the point of contact on that, but he's been busy the past few weeks
with finals.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

Ian Trudel-2
2009/4/26 Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:
> Actually, the most critically needed resources are on the 4.0 licensing
> effort, because nothing new can really happen until that's done, and some
> coding will likely be required to finish the task.  Matthew Fulmer is
> currently the point of contact on that, but he's been busy the past few weeks
> with finals.

Does it mean there is no 4.0 vm/image/source available to foul around?
I have looked on the ftp but there is only the 4.0 relicensing files
you were writing about.

Ian.

--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/

bpi

Re: [squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

bpi
Thanks for your fast response, Randal.

I had jumped to the conclusion 3.11 was the version to contribute to
because I had found the following:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-February/134083.html

> We are currently awaiting legal advice from the Software Freedom
> Law Center [3]. It is recommended that you avoid contributing to the
> relicensing effort pending further notice

Did I miss the notice?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 26.04.2009 um 21:40 schrieb Randal L. Schwartz:
> Actually, the most critically needed resources are on the 4.0
> licensing
> effort, because nothing new can really happen until that's done, and
> some
> coding will likely be required to finish the task.  Matthew Fulmer is
> currently the point of contact on that, but he's been busy the past
> few weeks
> with finals.

Re: [squeak-dev] Maintenance of 3.10

Randal L. Schwartz

Bernhard> Did I miss the notice?

At this point, I've been trying to work with Matthew directly, so I apologize
for not keeping squeak-dev up to date, since it all has to go through Matthew
for coordination.

We are to prepare a 2-3 page summary of the state of things, and known
problems, for Bradley Kuhn (of the SFC) to evaluate.  This is expected to
begin an interactive process of Bradley auditing the work completed so far,
and providing advice for any remaining outstanding items.  When Bradley is
satisfied, he'll support our final report to the SFLC's legal team for
acceptance.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion