[squeak-dev] Method missing in trunk from update 7160

[squeak-dev] Method missing in trunk from update 7160

Ken Causey-3
I've started checking the current trunk against all the changes applied
in the update stream since 7159.  One of the methods in 7160 is

!PartsBin methodsFor: '*BabySRE-connectors-initialization' stamp: 'edc
12/4/2007 16:01'!
listDirection: aListDirection quadList: quadList buttonClass: buttonClass

and it is missing in trunk.  There are no senders.  Was its removal intentional?

Ken

Re: [squeak-dev] Method missing in trunk from update 7160

Ken Causey-3
oops I mean update 7161

http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/7161ObjectFlagFix-M6793-edc.cs

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 15:43 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:

> I've started checking the current trunk against all the changes applied
> in the update stream since 7159.  One of the methods in 7160 is
>
> !PartsBin methodsFor: '*BabySRE-connectors-initialization' stamp: 'edc
> 12/4/2007 16:01'!
> listDirection: aListDirection quadList: quadList buttonClass: buttonClass
>
> and it is missing in trunk.  There are no senders.  Was its removal intentional?
>
> Ken

Re: [squeak-dev] Method missing in trunk from update 7160

Ken Causey-3
Jecel has correctly pointed out to me that this method is an extension
method, hence it would not show up in the MorphicExtras package.  That
explains it.  I'm inclined not to worry about it and assume BabySRE is
the only user and has it under control.

Ken

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 15:53 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:

> oops I mean update 7161
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/7161ObjectFlagFix-M6793-edc.cs
>
> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 15:43 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> > I've started checking the current trunk against all the changes applied
> > in the update stream since 7159.  One of the methods in 7160 is
> >
> > !PartsBin methodsFor: '*BabySRE-connectors-initialization' stamp: 'edc
> > 12/4/2007 16:01'!
> > listDirection: aListDirection quadList: quadList buttonClass: buttonClass
> >
> > and it is missing in trunk.  There are no senders.  Was its removal intentional?
> >
> > Ken

Re: [squeak-dev] Method missing in trunk from update 7160

Bert Freudenberg

On 03.07.2009, at 22:53, Ken Causey wrote:

> oops I mean update 7161
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/7161ObjectFlagFix-M6793-edc.cs
>
> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 15:43 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
>> I've started checking the current trunk against all the changes
>> applied
>> in the update stream since 7159.  One of the methods in 7160 is
>>
>> !PartsBin methodsFor: '*BabySRE-connectors-initialization' stamp:
>> 'edc
>> 12/4/2007 16:01'!
>> listDirection: aListDirection quadList: quadList buttonClass:
>> buttonClass
>>
>> and it is missing in trunk.  There are no senders.  Was its removal
>> intentional?
>>
>> Ken

It's in the BabySRE package in trunk - but obviously it does not
belong there but is miscategorized.

- Bert -

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 23:00 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 03.07.2009, at 22:53, Ken Causey wrote:
>
> > oops I mean update 7161
> >
> > http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/7161ObjectFlagFix-M6793-edc.cs
> >
> > On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 15:43 -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> >> I've started checking the current trunk against all the changes
> >> applied
> >> in the update stream since 7159.  One of the methods in 7160 is
> >>
> >> !PartsBin methodsFor: '*BabySRE-connectors-initialization' stamp:
> >> 'edc
> >> 12/4/2007 16:01'!
> >> listDirection: aListDirection quadList: quadList buttonClass:
> >> buttonClass
> >>
> >> and it is missing in trunk.  There are no senders.  Was its removal
> >> intentional?
> >>
> >> Ken
> >

> It's in the BabySRE package in trunk - but obviously it does not
> belong there but is miscategorized.
>

> - Bert -
Ah, another good catch.  This is clearly useless as a package.  I assume
the correction action is to delete the package.  But then is it
referenced elsewhere like some mcm or the like?  Obviously one of my
goals with all these questions is to understand policy.

Ken

Re: [squeak-dev] Method missing in trunk from update 7160

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 7/3/09 5:43 PM, "Ken Causey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> !PartsBin methodsFor: '*BabySRE-connectors-initialization' stamp: 'edc
> 12/4/2007 16:01'!
> listDirection: aListDirection quadList: quadList buttonClass: buttonClass
>
> and it is missing in trunk.  There are no senders.  Was its removal
> intentional?
>
> Ken

Seems me trying to load Baby-SRE and I don't have a clue how go into the
basic image.
Sure could be removed without problem

Edbgar

On 7/3/09 5:53 PM, "Ken Causey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/7161ObjectFlagFix-M6793-edc.cs
Ok I see now why.
Comes from FunSqueak (which have Connectors as pre-requisite for Baby SRE)

Was about shared Flaps not showing as we see in previous version.
The Doit could be done different but show how Monticello "as we know" fails.
But ProcustesEnd or another Monticello version with Preamble and Postcript
(I think Impara and Keith have his own) could manage this kind of case.
Still digging on old CD for really hard cases to solve with Monticello.

Edgar

On 03.07.2009, at 23:12, Ken Causey wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 23:00 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On 03.07.2009, at 22:53, Ken Causey wrote:
>>
>>> oops I mean update 7161
>>>
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/7161ObjectFlagFix-M6793-edc.cs

>> It's in the BabySRE package in trunk - but obviously it does not
>> belong there but is miscategorized.
>>

>> - Bert -
>
> Ah, another good catch.  This is clearly useless as a package.  I
> assume
> the correction action is to delete the package.  But then is it
> referenced elsewhere like some mcm or the like?  Obviously one of my
> goals with all these questions is to understand policy.

It was not loaded by the mcm (that's why it is not underlined and
sorted to the bottom if you look at the repo).

I assume Andreas took 3.10.2 and simply committed any package in it to
trunk - including faulty ones like this.

The question is if this is a new method that simply could be removed,
or if it existed before and got moved out of its rightful package into
BabySRE. I believe the latter, since the method existed before
(timestamp 'nk 9/1/2004').

- Bert -

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 23:27 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 03.07.2009, at 23:12, Ken Causey wrote:

> >> It's in the BabySRE package in trunk - but obviously it does not
> >> belong there but is miscategorized.
> >>

> >> - Bert -
> >
> > Ah, another good catch.  This is clearly useless as a package.  I
> > assume
> > the correction action is to delete the package.  But then is it
> > referenced elsewhere like some mcm or the like?  Obviously one of my
> > goals with all these questions is to understand policy.
>
> It was not loaded by the mcm (that's why it is not underlined and
> sorted to the bottom if you look at the repo).
OK, frankly I've forgotten what underlining means here.  MC could still
use some documentation, or some balloon messages or something.

> I assume Andreas took 3.10.2 and simply committed any package in it to
> trunk - including faulty ones like this.
>
> The question is if this is a new method that simply could be removed,
> or if it existed before and got moved out of its rightful package into
> BabySRE. I believe the latter, since the method existed before
> (timestamp 'nk 9/1/2004').
>
> - Bert -

Yes.  It doesn't appear that there are any senders of this message in
the image any longer.  Are you concerned that some external package
relies on its existence?  With that in mind I have brought up the
subject of a deprecation policy in a separate email.

On 03.07.2009, at 23:44, Ken Causey wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 23:27 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Ah, another good catch.  This is clearly useless as a package.  I
>>> assume
>>> the correction action is to delete the package.  But then is it
>>> referenced elsewhere like some mcm or the like?  Obviously one of my
>>> goals with all these questions is to understand policy.
>>
>> It was not loaded by the mcm (that's why it is not underlined and
>> sorted to the bottom if you look at the repo).
>
> OK, frankly I've forgotten what underlining means here.  MC could
> still
> use some documentation, or some balloon messages or something.
>
>> I assume Andreas took 3.10.2 and simply committed any package in it
>> trunk - including faulty ones like this.
>>
>> The question is if this is a new method that simply could be removed,
>> or if it existed before and got moved out of its rightful package
>> into
>> BabySRE. I believe the latter, since the method existed before
>> (timestamp 'nk 9/1/2004').
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Yes.  It doesn't appear that there are any senders of this message in
> the image any longer.  Are you concerned that some external package
> relies on its existence?

No, I was simply sharing my findings for someone else to make sense of
it :)

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Method missing in trunk from update 7160

Trygve
This method is in the initialization category of the PartsBin class in Squeak3.10.gamma.7159; no senders.
It is not used in my version of SRE, but 'edc' might remember why the method was created/modified.

Cheers
--Trygve

On 2009.07.03 22:43, Ken Causey wrote:
I've started checking the current trunk against all the changes applied
in the update stream since 7159.  One of the methods in 7160 is

!PartsBin methodsFor: '*BabySRE-connectors-initialization' stamp: 'edc
12/4/2007 16:01'!
listDirection: aListDirection quadList: quadList buttonClass: buttonClass

and it is missing in trunk.  There are no senders.  Was its removal intentional?

Ken

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: [hidden email]

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway