[squeak-dev] MultiByteFileStream>>skipSeparatorsAndPeekNext doesNotUnderstand: #isSeparator

[squeak-dev] MultiByteFileStream>>skipSeparatorsAndPeekNext doesNotUnderstand: #isSeparator

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
Grrrr..   I've been messing about trying to put together a little
change set for a minor little bug fix in SMTPClient #initiateSession,
and I've been hacking about perfecting it, viewing versions and making
new ones and so on, and just as I'm trying to view the final diffs
using the "versions" button in a method browser window I get a
doesNotUnderstand: #isSeparator error, apparently from
MultiByteFileStream #skipSeparatorsAndPeekNext.  From poking around in
the debugger window I can't see that any package I've filed in has
modified that method, and also I'm sure I've used the versions buffer
in a method browser window before too without any errors.

It looks like the reason for the error is that the object being sent
#isSeparator is actually nil!  I say that because the instance
variable "peek" is nil according to the debugger and I'm assuming the
assignment returns the value being sent #isSeparator after it has
assigned it to the variable.  But how did "self next" return nil when
"self atEnd" is false?

This is with Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image plus whatever packages I've
filed in using the Package Universe browser.  (i'm still having a
_lot_ of trouble filing in some packages, or their dependencies, too!)

Has anyone seen this before?  Am I missing something obvious in the
changes from packages I've filed in that might be causing the bug to
show up?

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <[hidden email]>

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] MultiByteFileStream>>skipSeparatorsAndPeekNext doesNotUnderstand: #isSeparator

Edgar J. De Cleene

On 04/12/2008, at 18:22, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:

Has anyone seen this before?  Am I missing something obvious in the changes from packages I've filed in that might be causing the bug to show up?

Yes, when some was wrong with .changes file and your .image is out of sycnh with .
Try to go novice mode and change preferences to not warmaboutchanges os some like (write this from memory)
Or put your .changes file in different folder and ignore the complaint.

Good luck.

Edgar

On 4-Dec-2008, at 5:28 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Yes, when some was wrong with .changes file and your .image is out
> of sycnh with .
> Try to go novice mode and change preferences to not warmaboutchanges
> os some like (write this from memory)
> Or put your .changes file in different folder and ignore the
> complaint.

Oy!

But the "versions" buttons worked up until a few moments ago, and now
suddenly it's actually all "versions" buttons in all kinds of browser
windows that trigger this error.

Perhaps I need to start all over again, from scratch and try to build
up a development image again from the original and this time try to
avoid getting any errors while filing in the packages I want from the
Package Universe Browser.  I find that thing so very hard to use
though -- it doesn't seem to create any audit trail to help me
remember what I've selected by hand, and I can't seem to toggle things
off if I've accidentally toggled them on, and it's way of displaying
the list is very cumbersome for the number of items in the list.

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <[hidden email]>

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] MultiByteFileStream>>skipSeparatorsAndPeekNext doesNotUnderstand: #isSeparator

Tim Johnson

On Dec 4, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:

> Perhaps I need to start all over again, from scratch and try to
> build up a development image again from the original and this time
> try to avoid getting any errors while filing in the packages I want
> from the Package Universe Browser.  I find that thing so very hard
> to use though -- it doesn't seem to create any audit trail to help
> me remember what I've selected by hand, and I can't seem to toggle
> things off if I've accidentally toggled them on, and it's way of
> displaying the list is very cumbersome for the number of items in
> the list.

It's a fairly recent tool.  I get the feeling it is under-supported.
Are these packages available to you on SqueakMap, with the added
caveat of having to manage dependencies manually?

I too have found myself building up an image using Universes, trying
packages one-by-one and if one fails I have to start all over.  It
does not seem production-ready, and it is beyond me to know why.  Its
interface is indeed lackluster.  I have given up on using it*.  The
problems it causes when there is an error seem to be so close-to-the-
core as to create entirely unusable images.

*I have had good luck, though, with the Seaside-related packages.
Perhaps this is because they are high-visibility and thus get more
attention.

- TimJ

Re: [squeak-dev] MultiByteFileStream>>skipSeparatorsAndPeekNext doesNotUnderstand: #isSeparator

keith1y
Tim Johnson wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I need to start all over again, from scratch and try to build
>> up a development image again from the original and this time try to
>> avoid getting any errors while filing in the packages I want from the
>> Package Universe Browser.  I find that thing so very hard to use
>> though -- it doesn't seem to create any audit trail to help me
>> remember what I've selected by hand, and I can't seem to toggle
>> things off if I've accidentally toggled them on, and it's way of
>> displaying the list is very cumbersome for the number of items in the
>> list.
>
> It's a fairly recent tool.  I get the feeling it is under-supported.
> Are these packages available to you on SqueakMap, with the added
> caveat of having to manage dependencies manually?
>
> I too have found myself building up an image using Universes, trying
> packages one-by-one and if one fails I have to start all over.  It
> does not seem production-ready, and it is beyond me to know why.  Its
> interface is indeed lackluster.  I have given up on using it*.  The
> problems it causes when there is an error seem to be so
> close-to-the-core as to create entirely unusable images.
>
> *I have had good luck, though, with the Seaside-related packages.
> Perhaps this is because they are high-visibility and thus get more
> attention.
>
> - TimJ
Why not try Sake/Packages.

Step 1. To Install... (if you have an image with a recent Installer in it

Installer upgrade.
Installer install: 'Packages'.

Step 2. Join [hidden email] to see changes to the package
definitions and discuss dependencies etc.

Step 3. When something doesnt quite work you can change it and save the
Packages-Library monticello file.

Result we all get to collaborate on getting things working.

Any problems, visit "friends of Sake/Packages" on irc #squeak channel
for instant (ish) support

Keith

p.s. Step 4 tell squeak-dev how cool Sake/Packages is.