[squeak-dev] Name that package

Nick Brown-4
Hello folks. First post by me here in a good few years.

I saw a mention here a few weeks or months ago of a new package which
appeared to be an alternative to using FileDirectory and
DirectoryEntry classes to look at the contents of folders on disk.
ISTR an example which allowed folders to be searched recursively.

Of course, now I've got some time to play with it, I can't remember
what the dratted thing is called. I've looked through all the [ann]
posts back to the start of the year, and of course searching for words
like 'file', 'directory' and so on only turns up a million or so
messages. Also had a look on SqueakMap and SqueakSource, in case
anything jogged my memory, but no luck.

Can anyone remind me of the name of the package, or better yet post a
link?

Thanks muchly,
Nick

Re: [squeak-dev] Name that package

keith1y
Nick Brown wrote:

> Hello folks. First post by me here in a good few years.
>
> I saw a mention here a few weeks or months ago of a new package which
> appeared to be an alternative to using FileDirectory and
> DirectoryEntry classes to look at the contents of folders on disk.
> ISTR an example which allowed folders to be searched recursively.
>
> Of course, now I've got some time to play with it, I can't remember
> what the dratted thing is called. I've looked through all the [ann]

Rio may be what you are looking for.

http://www.squeaksource.com/Rio

docs: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5929

enjoy

Keith

p.s. FileMan is also available, but it is not a replacement fo
FileDirectory as much as a utility layer

Re: [squeak-dev] Name that package

Herbert König
Hello Nick,

NB> Can anyone remind me of the name of the package, or better yet post a
NB> link?

that would be Rio.

Find it on Squeaksource, maybe this ugly link really works:
http://www.squeaksource.com/@I2iYy8_r14XjZBlq/_q9YV6Nn

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: [squeak-dev] Name that package

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/23/08 8:55 PM, "Nick Brown" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Hello folks. First post by me here in a good few years.
>
> I saw a mention here a few weeks or months ago of a new package which
> appeared to be an alternative to using FileDirectory and
> DirectoryEntry classes to look at the contents of folders on disk.
> ISTR an example which allowed folders to be searched recursively.
>
> Of course, now I've got some time to play with it, I can't remember
> what the dratted thing is called. I've looked through all the [ann]
> posts back to the start of the year, and of course searching for words
> like 'file', 'directory' and so on only turns up a million or so
> messages. Also had a look on SqueakMap and SqueakSource, in case
> anything jogged my memory, but no luck.
>
> Can anyone remind me of the name of the package, or better yet post a
> link?
>
> Thanks muchly,
> Nick

I don't know which package you look, but Fileman of Masashi Umezawa is a
very good alternative to FileDirectory and friends in "normal" images.
So look for the right version for you in SqueakMap
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagesbyname
Or directly in http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/FileMan.html

Edgar

[squeak-dev] Re: Name that package

Nick Brown-4
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:42:58 +0200, in
gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general you wrote:

>that would be Rio.
>
>Find it on Squeaksource, maybe this ugly link really works:
>http://www.squeaksource.com/@I2iYy8_r14XjZBlq/_q9YV6Nn

Thanks Herbert, that's it.

The link just took me to the SqueakSource homepage, but no matter, I
got to the Rio page easily enough.

Cheers,
Nick

[squeak-dev] Rio (was: Re: Name that package)

Nick Brown-4
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:27:16 +0100, in
gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general you wrote:
>Rio may be what you are looking for.
>
>http://www.squeaksource.com/Rio
>
>docs: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5929
>
>enjoy
>
>Keith

Thanks Keith. I've been playing with Rio; not quite got my head around
it yet but I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow.

The printOn: methods in classes RioKernel and Cwd are causing DNUs
from class LimitedWriteStream, for want of methods #<< and #, which
I'm guessing you must have in your image, but which aren't being
included in the package.

This occurs regardless of whether I load the latest versions off
SqueakSource, or whether I do it via the Universe Browser.

Right now I've just altered those printOn: methods in my image, to do
something a little more conventional (to my eyes), so no big deal.

I was a little alarmed to see all of the Rio tests produce errors,
(I'm running a fresh 3.10.7159 image and 3.10.6 Windows VM on XP,
straight from the FTP site today); it turned out just to be that the
MultiByteFileStream to "..\_test_\InflateStream.orig" (from the
RioGzipTest) wasn't being closed soon enough, so the _test_ folder
wasn't getting deleted during the tear down.

The specific error that each test gives is:
RioLocalDosFileSystem>>errorUnableToDeleteDir:

I don't know enough to say whether that's likely to be a problem in
real life, or whether it's just a consequence of the way the tests are
run, but for what it's worth I found that adding "Smalltalk
garbageCollectMost" to the top of RioKernelTest>>tearDown took care of
it - all tests passed.

Cheers,
Nick

Re: [squeak-dev] Rio

keith1y

> Thanks Keith. I've been playing with Rio; not quite got my head around
> it yet but I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow.
>
> The printOn: methods in classes RioKernel and Cwd are causing DNUs
> from class LimitedWriteStream, for want of methods #<< and #, which
> I'm guessing you must have in your image, but which aren't being
> included in the package.
>
> This occurs regardless of whether I load the latest versions off
> SqueakSource, or whether I do it via the Universe Browser.

Hmm Universes should load the right things... you need

Installer squeaksource project: '311'; install: 'Kernel-Extensions'.

> Right now I've just altered those printOn: methods in my image, to do
> something a little more conventional (to my eyes), so no big deal.
>

> I was a little alarmed to see all of the Rio tests produce errors,
> (I'm running a fresh 3.10.7159 image and 3.10.6 Windows VM on XP,
> straight from the FTP site today); it turned out just to be that the
> MultiByteFileStream to "..\_test_\InflateStream.orig" (from the
> RioGzipTest) wasn't being closed soon enough, so the _test_ folder
> wasn't getting deleted during the tear down.
>
> The specific error that each test gives is:
> RioLocalDosFileSystem>>errorUnableToDeleteDir:
>
> I don't know enough to say whether that's likely to be a problem in
> real life, or whether it's just a consequence of the way the tests are
> run, but for what it's worth I found that adding "Smalltalk
> garbageCollectMost" to the top of RioKernelTest>>tearDown took care of
> it - all tests passed.

Great !

I dont have a windows machine of my own to test on, I was vnc'ing to my
dads machine 200 miles away when I wrote the windows support.

Feel free to publish that fix back to the repository.

best regards

Keith