[squeak-dev] New Smalltalk :)

stephane ducasse

Re: [squeak-dev] New Smalltalk :)

Göran Krampe
Hi!

stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.guillermomolina.com.ar/huemul/

Yeah, I have known about Huemul for quite some time - but I think it
wasn't licensed until now (or recently) - it looks like a BSD license to
me (after a quick glance).

I did an SVN checkout and looked at the docs - built it on Debian (after
an apt-get of libgcj-dev, version 6.8 seemed to compile at least) -
quite interesting reading in the docs dir!

The only thing I miss is a regular mailing list to track (I have web
forums). :)

regards, Göran

[squeak-dev] Re: New Smalltalk :)

Klaus D. Witzel
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:28:53 +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:

> http://www.guillermomolina.com.ar/huemul/

See? things are happening :)

Re: [squeak-dev] New Smalltalk :)

Danil Osipchuk-2
Göran,

Does it work for you? I tried both precompiled and svn versions with the test.image provded - they both segfault.

cheers,
 Danil

2008/3/10, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
Hi!

stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.guillermomolina.com.ar/huemul/

Yeah, I have known about Huemul for quite some time - but I think it
wasn't licensed until now (or recently) - it looks like a BSD license to
me (after a quick glance).

I did an SVN checkout and looked at the docs - built it on Debian (after
an apt-get of libgcj-dev, version 6.8 seemed to compile at least) -
quite interesting reading in the docs dir!

The only thing I miss is a regular mailing list to track (I have web
forums). :)

regards, Göran

[squeak-dev] Re: New Smalltalk :)

Paolo Bonzini-2

> Yeah, I have known about Huemul for quite some time - but I think it
> wasn't licensed until now (or recently) - it looks like a BSD license to
> me (after a quick glance).

With advertising clause, though.  That's a pity.

Paolo

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: New Smalltalk :)

David Mitchell-10
And, I bet their license isn't as clean as they think Quoting from
their home page:

"Most of the Smalltalk source code of Huemul is ported from Squeak 3.9..."

If it was as easy as "port from Squeak" and relicense, we'd have a BSD
license for everything already.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > Yeah, I have known about Huemul for quite some time - but I think it
>  > wasn't licensed until now (or recently) - it looks like a BSD license to
>  > me (after a quick glance).
>
>  With advertising clause, though.  That's a pity.
>
>  Paolo

Re: [squeak-dev] New Smalltalk :)

Göran Krampe
Hi!

"danil osipchuk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> G=F6ran,
>
> Does it work for you? I tried both precompiled and svn versions with the
> test.image provded - they both segfault.

Didn't segfault for me, I am on Debian testing, used "apt-get install
libgc-dev", then regular ./configure; make; make install.

But I didn't get the UI up until today when I first did an "svn up".
Then the console explained :) how to open the AppLauncher. I just tried
the browser etc, but haven't done any coding yet.

regards, Göran

Re: [squeak-dev] New Smalltalk :)

David Zmick
"I can't get the graphical version to work!
but besides that, I think that its a pretty cool "version" of squeak.

--
David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com

Re: [squeak-dev] New Smalltalk :)

NorbertHartl
On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 11:48 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > http://www.guillermomolina.com.ar/huemul/
>
> Yeah, I have known about Huemul for quite some time - but I think it
> wasn't licensed until now (or recently) - it looks like a BSD license to
> me (after a quick glance).
>
> I did an SVN checkout and looked at the docs - built it on Debian (after
> an apt-get of libgcj-dev, version 6.8 seemed to compile at least) -
> quite interesting reading in the docs dir!

Did you built it on amd64 or 32 bit target?

thanks,

Norbert