[squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

[squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

Tapple Gao
The last "Release Team" meeting happened last Monday, 25
February. I summarized the results of the meeting at
http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes002

Based on the results, I started an agenda for the next meeting,
which is not yet scheduled:
http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes003

If you have questions about the release team, or want to discuss
something, add an item to the agenda and come to the next
meeting. You can either add them directly to the page, or email
me, and I'll add them to the page

Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

garduino
Thanks by the notes Matteew, very interesting to know!

Cheers.

2008/3/4, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]>:

> The last "Release Team" meeting happened last Monday, 25
>  February. I summarized the results of the meeting at
>  http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes002
>
>  Based on the results, I started an agenda for the next meeting,
>  which is not yet scheduled:
>  http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes003
>
>  If you have questions about the release team, or want to discuss
>  something, add an item to the agenda and come to the next
>  meeting. You can either add them directly to the page, or email
>  me, and I'll add them to the page
>

>  --
>  Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
>  Help improve Squeak Documentation: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808

Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

Michael Rueger-6
Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> The last "Release Team" meeting happened last Monday, 25 February. I
> summarized the results of the meeting at
> http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes002
>
> Based on the results, I started an agenda for the next meeting, which
> is not yet scheduled: http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes003

Regarding

> Andreas collected all prior releases somewhere. Where is it? See this
> note. Based on the 3.6 reference, Matthew unsucessfully searched the
> list archives between June 2003 and April 2004

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-May/077997.html

The location referenced there is gone, don't know if it available
somewhere else now.

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

Matthias Berth-2

thanks for the notes. I get the impression that having a small kernel
image with all methods licensed is a near term goal.

Craig> We must make a release of Squeak that is composed entirely of
contributions made available by their copyright holders under license.

Now Pavels KernelImage has about 300 methods under squeakL left

pave1> some time ago I tried to check all methods from my kernel.image
and only about 300 of them were under squeakL

So we'd have to rewrite these, making new implementations that are
licensed using the open Squeak license (is there a name for it, the
license that would take away the concerns of the external open source
advocates?).

Pavel says that could be done in a kind of clean room approach: one
person writes unit tests, another one implements according to the
tests, without looking at the original methods, of course.

pave1> rewriting should look like this: someone will write a test case
that will describe what the method should exactly do 18:34:53
pave1> and the other person that haven't seen the original
implementation will write it 18:35:21
pave1> again from the test case 18:35:36
pave1> the second goal is that we will have lot of units tests of
kernel methods :-)

A start is made in RelicensingTests which has a few unit tests for the
Time class:

pave1> btw. see RelicensingTests-pk.1.mcz on the SqueakSource
KernelImage repository 18:38:44
pave1> http://www.squeaksource.com/KernelImage/RelicensingTests-pk.1.mcz

Am I understanding things right, upto now?

So my question is: how can I help with this? Ideally, I'd like to take
a bunch of tests from some list, and make them run. Or, even write
some new tests.

I think that something like this is a good task for volunteers: you
have a clear definition of what needs to be done (make that test
green), and you can devote small chunk of your time to help Squeak.

Cheers

Matthias

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The last "Release Team" meeting happened last Monday, 25
>  February. I summarized the results of the meeting at
>  http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes002
>
>  Based on the results, I started an agenda for the next meeting,
>  which is not yet scheduled:
>  http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes003
>
>  If you have questions about the release team, or want to discuss
>  something, add an item to the agenda and come to the next
>  meeting. You can either add them directly to the page, or email
>  me, and I'll add them to the page
>
>  --
>  Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
>  Help improve Squeak Documentation: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808

[squeak-dev] Looking for Andreas's Squeak History (was Re: Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Tapple Gao
On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:42:47PM +0100, Michael Rueger wrote:
>> Andreas collected all prior releases somewhere. Where is it? See this
>> note. Based on the 3.6 reference, Matthew unsucessfully searched the
>> list archives between June 2003 and April 2004
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-May/077997.html
>
> The location referenced there is gone, don't know if it available somewhere
> else now.

Anyone know where this is? The cited URLs are:
Original: http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/history
Mirror:   http://sts.tuwien.ac.at/go/Squeak/History/
Neither work anymore.

Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

Tapple Gao
On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:42:47PM +0100, Michael Rueger wrote:
>> Andreas collected all prior releases somewhere. Where is it? See this
>> note. Based on the 3.6 reference, Matthew unsucessfully searched the
>> list archives between June 2003 and April 2004
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-May/077997.html

Thanks. I updated the meeting 3 notes.

Re: [squeak-dev] Looking for Andreas's Squeak History (was Re: Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Matthias Berth-2
archive.org gives:

  http://web.archive.org/web/20050128181215/isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/history/

[   ] Squeak1.0.zip           30-Apr-2004 23:36  16.3M
[   ] Squeak2.0.zip           30-Apr-2004 23:37  31.9M
[   ] Squeak3.0.zip           30-Apr-2004 23:38  45.5M
[   ] readme                  01-May-2004 17:30     2k
[DIR] stats/                  01-May-2004 04:00      -
[   ] updates.zip             30-Apr-2004 23:31  15.7M

The zip files are not archived. FWIW, http://ftp.squeak.org/ starts
with 1.1. Google "Squeak1.0.zip" comes up empty.

-- Matthias

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:42:47PM +0100, Michael Rueger wrote:
>  >> Andreas collected all prior releases somewhere. Where is it? See this
>  >> note. Based on the 3.6 reference, Matthew unsucessfully searched the
>  >> list archives between June 2003 and April 2004
>  >
>  > http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-May/077997.html
>  >
>  > The location referenced there is gone, don't know if it available somewhere
>  > else now.
>
>  Anyone know where this is? The cited URLs are:
>  Original: http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/history
>  Mirror:   http://sts.tuwien.ac.at/go/Squeak/History/
>  Neither work anymore.
>
>  --
>  Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
>  Help improve Squeak Documentation: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808

Re: [squeak-dev] Looking for Andreas's Squeak History (was Re: Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 4, 2008, at 20:25 , Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 04:42:47PM +0100, Michael Rueger wrote:
>>> Andreas collected all prior releases somewhere. Where is it? See
>>> this
>>> note. Based on the 3.6 reference, Matthew unsucessfully searched the
>>> list archives between June 2003 and April 2004
>>
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2004-May/
>> 077997.html
>>
>> The location referenced there is gone, don't know if it available
>> somewhere
>> else now.
>
> Anyone know where this is? The cited URLs are:
> Original: http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/history
> Mirror:   http://sts.tuwien.ac.at/go/Squeak/History/
> Neither work anymore.

Do we have reason to believe this was more complete that what is on
http://ftp.squeak.org/ now?

- Bert -

[squeak-dev] Re: Looking for Andreas's Squeak History (was Re: Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Andreas.Raab
Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Do we have reason to believe this was more complete that what is on
> http://ftp.squeak.org/ now?

You bet it is ;-) I went to great pain to include every single update
ever issued for Squeak. In other words, it contains every single version
of every single method ever committed to the Squeak update stream.
Squeak.org starts somewhere around 2.9 or so.

Coincidentally, while moving data to my brand new Time Capsule (which
arrived yesterday) I came across this data and offered Matthew to upload
it to any place he'd like to. He is working on getting it on Squeak.org now.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Looking for Andreas's Squeak History (was Re: Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Bert Freudenberg

On Mar 5, 2008, at 6:26 , Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Do we have reason to believe this was more complete that what is
>> on http://ftp.squeak.org/ now?
>
> You bet it is ;-) I went to great pain to include every single
> update ever issued for Squeak. In other words, it contains every
> single version of every single method ever committed to the Squeak
> update stream. Squeak.org starts somewhere around 2.9 or so.
>
> Coincidentally, while moving data to my brand new Time Capsule
> (which arrived yesterday) I came across this data and offered
> Matthew to upload it to any place he'd like to. He is working on
> getting it on Squeak.org now.

Great! Thanks.

Wouldn't a nice SOC project be to make that invaluable resource web-
accessible, fully indexed by Google etc.?

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Looking for Andreas's Squeak History

Janko Mivšek
Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2008, at 6:26 , Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> Do we have reason to believe this was more complete that what is on
>>> http://ftp.squeak.org/ now?
>>
>> You bet it is ;-) I went to great pain to include every single update
>> ever issued for Squeak. In other words, it contains every single
>> version of every single method ever committed to the Squeak update
>> stream. Squeak.org starts somewhere around 2.9 or so.
>>
>> Coincidentally, while moving data to my brand new Time Capsule (which
>> arrived yesterday) I came across this data and offered Matthew to
>> upload it to any place he'd like to. He is working on getting it on
>> Squeak.org now.
>
> Great! Thanks.
>
> Wouldn't a nice SOC project be to make that invaluable resource
> web-accessible, fully indexed by Google etc.?

Already proposed! Look at my SoC proposal:

        Squeak code on the Web
        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6032

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

[squeak-dev] Re: Looking for Andreas's Squeak History (was Re: Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

Andreas.Raab
Thanks to Ken the data is now available at:

   http://ftp.squeak.org/history

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Andreas Raab wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Do we have reason to believe this was more complete that what is on
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/ now?
>
> You bet it is ;-) I went to great pain to include every single update
> ever issued for Squeak. In other words, it contains every single version
> of every single method ever committed to the Squeak update stream.
> Squeak.org starts somewhere around 2.9 or so.
>
> Coincidentally, while moving data to my brand new Time Capsule (which
> arrived yesterday) I came across this data and offered Matthew to upload
> it to any place he'd like to. He is working on getting it on Squeak.org
> now.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Looking for Andreas's Squeak History (was Re: Notes from Release Team meeting 2)

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 03:18:02PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Thanks to Ken the data is now available at:
>
>   http://ftp.squeak.org/history

Great! Thanks to both of you for collecting this and making it available.

Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] Notes from Release Team meeting 2

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 3/4/08 12:24 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> The last "Release Team" meeting happened last Monday, 25
> February. I summarized the results of the meeting at
> http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes002
>
> Based on the results, I started an agenda for the next meeting,
> which is not yet scheduled:
> http://installer.pbwiki.org/MeetingNotes003
>
> If you have questions about the release team, or want to discuss
> something, add an item to the agenda and come to the next
> meeting. You can either add them directly to the page, or email
> me, and I'll add them to the page
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
> Help improve Squeak Documentation: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/808

Matthew:

I thanks you organizational efforts.

Slowly I reading all mails for I don't miss some important.

Maybe we could use current v3dot10 reduced list or ask to web team for a new
"future Squeak" discussion list, for advance in clarify all ideas ?

I wish start 3.11, following previous ideas.

Seems a shorter goal and a more compatible one with actual Squeak.

Edgar