[squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

[squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Ken Causey-3
Cees:  So we have at most until November 30th to either move, replace,
or forget people.squeakfoundation.org?

Community:  While Cees exaggerates a bit it is the case that only a
handful of us are posting to people.squeakfoundation.org lately, and
mostly me.  Are we, as a community, interested in maintaining this site?

Ken

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 20:46 +0200, Cees de Groot wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Just discovered that apparently people.squeakfoundation.org (aka's
> Ken's Private Blog ;-)) is still running on my machine, and I canceled
> it per 30/11 because I'm hardly using it anymore.
>
> What shall we do with it?
>
> TIA,
>
> Cees

Re: [squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Tapple Gao
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:17:26PM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> Cees:  So we have at most until November 30th to either move, replace,
> or forget people.squeakfoundation.org?
>
> Community:  While Cees exaggerates a bit it is the case that only a
> handful of us are posting to people.squeakfoundation.org lately, and
> mostly me.  Are we, as a community, interested in maintaining this site?

I'm not, but I wouldn't want the content to die. It has some
pretty good documents. One I remember especially is a detailed
design document for SqueakMap:

http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/36.html

Re: [squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Bryce Kampjes
Matthew Fulmer writes:
 > On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 02:17:26PM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
 > > Cees:  So we have at most until November 30th to either move, replace,
 > > or forget people.squeakfoundation.org?
 > >
 > > Community:  While Cees exaggerates a bit it is the case that only a
 > > handful of us are posting to people.squeakfoundation.org lately, and
 > > mostly me.  Are we, as a community, interested in maintaining this site?
 >
 > I'm not, but I wouldn't want the content to die. It has some
 > pretty good documents. One I remember especially is a detailed
 > design document for SqueakMap:
 >
 > http://people.squeakfoundation.org/article/36.html

I'm using it, but could move my blog if needed. It would be
nice to get the content from it first though.

Bryce

RE: [squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Ron Teitelbaum
It's also the place to register for Squeak Leadership Team Elections.

I vote to keep it.  Can we turn it over to the Web Team to maintain?

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Elections Team Member

Janko Mivšek
Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> It's also the place to register for Squeak Leadership Team Elections.
>
> I vote to keep it.  Can we turn it over to the Web Team to maintain?

What is most useful on SqueakPeople to keep? Blogs, votes, names of people?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

RE: [squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Ron Teitelbaum
Names of people and info about them, the ability to download their email
address confidentially for voting purposes, and then blogs.

Ron

No I don't think so.  The webteam is busy enough with www.squeak.org.
Also SqP is not implemented in Squeak at all.  SqP is the responsibility
of the box-admins team and we don't have any real need to turn it over
to someone else.

It's simply the case that if it is going to be maintained then at the
very least it is going to have to be moved, and this is frankly
something of a PITA since it is an old mod_virgule/Apache1.x
application.  It can be done certainly, but frankly I don't care to
spend the time doing it if no one cares.

The site has had very little activity in the last year, in fact only a
dozen people have posted diary entries in that time.  Most of the
articles from the last year have been my Roundups or election related
(thanks to Tim for the single real exception).

I'm not sure keeping it just for the rankings/voters functionality alone
is sufficient reason.  The fact is that it doesn't really function for
this purpose either if no one is visiting the site regularly.

Ken

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 16:03 -0400, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> It's also the place to register for Squeak Leadership Team Elections.
>
> I vote to keep it.  Can we turn it over to the Web Team to maintain?
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
> Squeak Elections Team Member

I still disagree.  Google Ken Causey, or Cees De Groot, or anyone you can
think of that is on SqueakPeople and notice that their contact information
from squeakPeople is in the top 10 entries.  It serves a purpose that it is
a trusted site with lots of links.  I think it's used the way it was
intended.  It's facebook before it's time :)  I never really found the blogs
to be terribly useful, but for knowing who is who and what they do and are
interested in it is pretty useful.  Besides it's where we register to vote
so it's a good place for us to get reacquainted and meet new members once a
year during the voting period.

Ron

cdegroot
I'll be happy to move it myself. I've been running it on apache1 behind apache2 through mod_proxy, so the whole thing should simply be copyable to the SqF box. However, there should be some sense of usefulness before I invest the time, of course :).

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Ken Causey <[hidden email]> wrote:
No I don't think so.  The webteam is busy enough with www.squeak.org.
Also SqP is not implemented in Squeak at all.  SqP is the responsibility
of the box-admins team and we don't have any real need to turn it over
to someone else.

It's simply the case that if it is going to be maintained then at the
very least it is going to have to be moved, and this is frankly
something of a PITA since it is an old mod_virgule/Apache1.x
application.  It can be done certainly, but frankly I don't care to
spend the time doing it if no one cares.

The site has had very little activity in the last year, in fact only a
dozen people have posted diary entries in that time.  Most of the
articles from the last year have been my Roundups or election related
(thanks to Tim for the single real exception).

I'm not sure keeping it just for the rankings/voters functionality alone
is sufficient reason.  The fact is that it doesn't really function for
this purpose either if no one is visiting the site regularly.

Ken

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 16:03 -0400, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> It's also the place to register for Squeak Leadership Team Elections.
>
> I vote to keep it.  Can we turn it over to the Web Team to maintain?
>
> Ron Teitelbaum
> Squeak Elections Team Member

When I came to Squeak, SqueakPeople was and still is one of my more
sympathetic things the Squeak community have. Loosing it it will be a
loss for us.

I think with a little modernization SqueakPeople can become popular
again. With changing diaries to a full-blown blog for instance. Everyone
can then have a blog for free, that is, for zero time needed to set up.
Just one idea. Also that admirations/certifications are interesting. At
least I found them such when I registered first time for my first
voting. At that time I played with that a bit more and it is my feeling
that with such admirations you can actually reward and encourage someone
for his work. And any such little encouragement is welcome in these
times, IMHO.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Igor Stasenko
2008/10/15 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> When I came to Squeak, SqueakPeople was and still is one of my more
> sympathetic things the Squeak community have. Loosing it it will be a loss
> for us.
>
> I think with a little modernization SqueakPeople can become popular
> again. With changing diaries to a full-blown blog for instance. Everyone can
> then have a blog for free, that is, for zero time needed to set up. Just one
> idea. Also that admirations/certifications are interesting. At least I found
> them such when I registered first time for my first voting. At that time I
> played with that a bit more and it is my feeling that with such admirations
> you can actually reward and encourage someone for his work. And any such
> little encouragement is welcome in these times, IMHO.

+1

The certification system is one of the nicest features of SqP. But
apart from that, another facilities is minimal.
It would be good to modernize it and convert it to something more than
just place to identify people/voting.
In my vision it would be cool to merge facilities of
SqueakSource/SqueakMap + Blog + issue tracker + wiki + SqP to form
something like squeak planet/world. But its a bit too ambitious :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Ken Causey-3
Discussion of new features comes up over and over and over again, and
little happens.  I've made some minor changes.  The site is implemented
as an Apache 1.x module, that is, C.  C that does a lot of XML parsing.
The community of people interested in doing a lot of work on such an
entity within this community is vanishingly small.

Discussion of new features at this point is frankly way off-topic.  The
only way it could be on-topic at this point is if you instead turn the
topic toward total reimplementation.  That's the only way I foresee
significant changes occuring.

On the subject of the rankings.  It's fun, just look at how many people
I have ranked on the site.  If we were having a competition I think I
might just win.  But the reality is the only thing we actually use it
for is for the voter list and the only thing that matters is that the
person is ranked at all (i.e. not ranked observer, which is equivalent
to no rank at all).

So we could simply change this to a concept of 'vetting'.  Having been
'vetted' is a boolean state.  Everyone has this state set to False by
default.  A small number of known people have their vetted state set to
True (think site admins).  Those people then make an effort to go
through the list of people and vette each one that they know represents
a real 'squeaker', has a valid email address, is known to have access to
the account.  In turn each of these people does the same.

I'm considering adding this to SqueakMap where we are all already
supposed to have registered an account to ensure we are using unique
developer initials.  I'm just considering it, but it is a way to
replicate the voter list functionality of Squeak People and eliminate
that as a reason to keep a site with a long list of deficiencies.

Ken

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 02:38 +0300, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> 2008/10/15 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
> > When I came to Squeak, SqueakPeople was and still is one of my more
> > sympathetic things the Squeak community have. Loosing it it will be a loss
> > for us.
> >
> > I think with a little modernization SqueakPeople can become popular
> > again. With changing diaries to a full-blown blog for instance. Everyone can
> > then have a blog for free, that is, for zero time needed to set up. Just one
> > idea. Also that admirations/certifications are interesting. At least I found
> > them such when I registered first time for my first voting. At that time I
> > played with that a bit more and it is my feeling that with such admirations
> > you can actually reward and encourage someone for his work. And any such
> > little encouragement is welcome in these times, IMHO.
> >
> +1
>
> The certification system is one of the nicest features of SqP. But
> apart from that, another facilities is minimal.
> It would be good to modernize it and convert it to something more than
> just place to identify people/voting.
> In my vision it would be cool to merge facilities of
> SqueakSource/SqueakMap + Blog + issue tracker + wiki + SqP to form
> something like squeak planet/world. But its a bit too ambitious :)
>

> > Best regards
> > Janko

Re: [squeak-dev] People.squeakfoundation.org still useful?

Gerardo Richarte
Ken Causey wrote:
> Community:  While Cees exaggerates a bit it is the case that only a
> handful of us are posting to people.squeakfoundation.org lately, and
> mostly me.  Are we, as a community, interested in maintaining this site?

SqueakNOS is using it too. It's the only place where we maintain
a precense (there's the wiki at wiki.squeak.org too, but it randomly
fails for me). We always post updates (when there are any), and
post articles (whenever we write them). During the last couple of
years we have not been active, but it's the only precense we have,
and it's where we went back to update with news after ESUG.

    If it's not going to be replaced by something similar with the
content automatically ported I really think we'll just loose everything
we wrote there... I'll try to make a backup, but that will make the
content available only to me, and that doesn't make much sence.

    Can we somehow have some usage stats on the site? not only
pageviews etc, but also how many new people subscribes and
updates his profile (with certifications and affiliations to projects)

    richie
    richie