[squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

12

[squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Lukas Renggli
I prepared a quick demo of the Squeak web site using Pier. My thanks
go to Danie and Karl, that provided me with the old image to migrate
the content. I did not adapt the CSS or the components of the page
yet, what you see is as Pier comes after the installation. As I
mentioned there are dozens of plugins ready that can be placed at any
part of the web-site:

     http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch

The password for an admin users with (almost all privileges) is:

     demo/demo

The design can be adapted when editing the "Environment" page. Some
system settings are available in "System".

Also try the HTML validator (note that some other pages fail to
validate, but that's because of some invalid hand crafted HTML in the
contents pages):

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsqueak.lukas-renggli.ch

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

stephane ducasse
This is cool!

Stef

On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:17 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I prepared a quick demo of the Squeak web site using Pier. My thanks
> go to Danie and Karl, that provided me with the old image to migrate
> the content. I did not adapt the CSS or the components of the page
> yet, what you see is as Pier comes after the installation. As I
> mentioned there are dozens of plugins ready that can be placed at any
> part of the web-site:
>
>     http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch
>
> The password for an admin users with (almost all privileges) is:
>
>     demo/demo
>
> The design can be adapted when editing the "Environment" page. Some
> system settings are available in "System".
>
> Also try the HTML validator (note that some other pages fail to
> validate, but that's because of some invalid hand crafted HTML in the
> contents pages):
>
>    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsqueak.lukas-renggli.ch
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Lukas Renggli
I added a right side-bar, with automatically aggregated news from "The
Weekly Squeak". The right sidebar also contains a freely editable
download area that can (in sub-pages for example) also be overridden
in subpages with other information.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Nikolay Suslov
Yes, it is great! no words..

But, next Demo, thinking, should be the Squeak.org powered by Lively Kernel (0.8)
for the true "Powered by Squeak" - philosophy meaning.
Site as a self exploratory environment for the Creative end-user, instead of just Informational - Presentational (from the word "preservative") space..
The time is not waiting!
and "Always Beta" - is the Web 2.0 paradigm, isn't it?...

Regards,
Nikolay Suslov

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

[squeak-dev] Re: Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Paolo Bonzini-2
Lukas Renggli wrote:
> I added a right side-bar, with automatically aggregated news from "The
> Weekly Squeak".

There are some problems with UTF-8 there.

Paolo

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Vladimir Pogorelenko

>     http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch

This site looks quite modern. I just played a little with the site and
added «See the SiteThoughts for the comments on Pier installment»
string on main page. Looks quite alive.
Everyone invited to leave his personal comment in this demo wiki :-)
before it will be installed on the squeak.org.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Pier demo of squeak.org ready

garduino
Same here.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz
http://www.arsol.net

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Martial Boniou
Nice job!

One year ago, I did a website I didn't use at all. It's based on Pier
and I added DHTML and CSS to offer a NeXTSTEP-ilke design. Reusing
Morphic halos' look and feel can be a good idea: News should be in a
kind of Tools-flap and each paragraph may be embedded in window-like
div with halos control to show/hide (X), see related links (=)... Just
a short brainstorming...

The link to the website I did: http://hondana.net

Long life to Squeak and its community! Shame to all Seasiders that
still use php/python for their own blog ;-)) [I am joking!]

--
Martial

At Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:17:35 +0100,
Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I prepared a quick demo of the Squeak web site using Pier. My thanks
> go to Danie and Karl, that provided me with the old image to migrate
> the content. I did not adapt the CSS or the components of the page
> yet, what you see is as Pier comes after the installation. As I
> mentioned there are dozens of plugins ready that can be placed at any
> part of the web-site:
>
>      http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch
>
> The password for an admin users with (almost all privileges) is:
>
>      demo/demo
>
> The design can be adapted when editing the "Environment" page. Some
> system settings are available in "System".
>
> Also try the HTML validator (note that some other pages fail to
> validate, but that's because of some invalid hand crafted HTML in the
> contents pages):
>
>     http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsqueak.lukas-renggli.ch
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Karl-19
Thank you for fast work.

I tested to upload a screenshot and link from a small to a big, but that
did not work right out of the box. I saw a Pier addon called PictureLink
in the SqueakSource Pier repository. Does that make screenshot stuff
easier ?

Karl

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I prepared a quick demo of the Squeak web site using Pier. My thanks
> go to Danie and Karl, that provided me with the old image to migrate
> the content. I did not adapt the CSS or the components of the page
> yet, what you see is as Pier comes after the installation. As I
> mentioned there are dozens of plugins ready that can be placed at any
> part of the web-site:
>
>      http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch
>
> The password for an admin users with (almost all privileges) is:
>
>      demo/demo
>
> The design can be adapted when editing the "Environment" page. Some
> system settings are available in "System".
>
> Also try the HTML validator (note that some other pages fail to
> validate, but that's because of some invalid hand crafted HTML in the
> contents pages):
>
>     http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fsqueak.lukas-renggli.ch
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Igor Stasenko
Thanks for providing a demo, Lukas.

I'm very like things like these:

+content+

!!!News
+news+
*Weekly Squeak>http://news.squeak.org/*

Some remarks..
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
Reports that to load page it requires to do 7 separate requests.

I don't know why FireFox don't want to cache css/scripts and loads
them every time page is loading.
You may take a look of what of
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ says:

----
Analysis and Recommendations

    * TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on
this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can
multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site
optimization.
    * TOTAL_OBJECTS - Caution. You have 7 total objects on this page.
Consider reducing, eliminating, and combining external objects
(graphics, CSS, JavaScript) to reduce the total number of objects, and
thus separate HTTP requests.
    * TOTAL_CSS - Caution. The total number of external CSS files on
this page is 3 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number.
Combine, refine, and optimize your external CSS files. Ideally you
should have one (or even embed CSS for high-traffic pages) on your
pages.
    * TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 142364
bytes, which will load in 29.77 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider
reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second
response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most
attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider
contacting us about our optimization services.
    * TOTAL_SCRIPT - Caution. The total number of external script
files on this page is 3 , consider reducing this to one or two.
Combine, refine, and optimize your external script files. Ideally you
should have one (or even embed scripts for high-traffic pages) on your
pages.
    * HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is
3561 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT
and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display
content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to
wait for a page to display without feedback.
    * SCRIPT_SIZE - Warning! The total size of external your scripts
is 127096 bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your scripts
for size, combining them, and using compression where appropriate for
any scripts placed in the HEAD of your documents.
    * CSS_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your external CSS is 11707
bytes, which is over 8K. Consider optimizing your CSS for size by
eliminating whitespace, using shorthand notation, and combining
multiple CSS files where appropriate.
    * MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your
external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.
--------

I know its well known issue of seaside & firefox. Do  you have any
thoughts how to optimize that? Because instead of loading content
only, Firefox does all hard work by loading scripts/css sheets each
time, which is suboptimal of course.

I can't provide same analysis of Janko's page for comparison -
something prevents webanalyzer to load this page. But it loads 2-3
times faster, despite that its contains multiple images/backgrounds.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Brad Fuller-4
Please move conversation to webteam mailing list!

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Lukas Renggli
>  >  > I added a right side-bar, with automatically aggregated news from "The
>  >  > Weekly Squeak".
>  >
>  >
>  > There are some problems with UTF-8 there.

This is a well known problem, also on seaside.st. The problem is that
all feeds are encoded differently and sometimes even incorrect. I
don't know why the detection of the encoding doesn't work for weekly
Squeak, but this should be possible to fix.

>  I tested to upload a screenshot and link from a small to a big, but that
>  did not work right out of the box. I saw a Pier addon called PictureLink
>  in the SqueakSource Pier repository. Does that make screenshot stuff
>  easier ?

I don't know that plugin. Currently pictures are always displayed as
is, unless you upload them resized or when using CSS (what is not
really nice).

> I know its well known issue of seaside & firefox. Do  you have any
> thoughts how to optimize that?

I don't know of that issue. Is there a bug report in the Seaside issue tracker?

> Because instead of loading content
> only, Firefox does all hard work by loading scripts/css sheets each
> time, which is suboptimal of course.

Currently the styles and the JavaScript (for the search) are all
served through the image. The files can be moved to Apache, like it is
done on my web-site and on seaside.st.

> The other issues are just cosmetic - like the size of fonts, etc.

I didn't work on the design. What Pier uses is BlueprintCSS, a
framework to get a cross-browser compliant base of styles with decent
font settings. It is can be easily configured to look more like
Squeak.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Webteam] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Karl-19
Lukas Renggli wrote:

>>  I tested to upload a screenshot and link from a small to a big, but that
>>  did not work right out of the box. I saw a Pier addon called PictureLink
>>  in the SqueakSource Pier repository. Does that make screenshot stuff
>>  easier ?
>>

> I don't know that plugin. Currently pictures are always displayed as
> is, unless you upload them resized or when using CSS (what is not
> really nice).
I did the same I did on Smallwiki with the screenshots and it seems to
work.

Are urls to uploaded files/images persistent or do they change ?

Karl

Re: [Webteam] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Lukas Renggli
>  Are urls to uploaded files/images persistent or do they change ?

Yes, they are uploaded through the image to collect some meta-data,
but then super efficiently served through a static Apache URL. So you
can upload huge pictures (or files in general) easily without putting
any load to the image. I already wanted to build some image processing
for a long time (at least the resizing part), but didn't find the time
to actually do so. Maybe today while traveling .... ;-)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [Webteam] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Pier demo of squeak.org ready

David Zmick
its very nice, very well done!!

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 2:30 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Are urls to uploaded files/images persistent or do they change ?

Yes, they are uploaded through the image to collect some meta-data,
but then super efficiently served through a static Apache URL. So you
can upload huge pictures (or files in general) easily without putting
any load to the image. I already wanted to build some image processing
for a long time (at least the resizing part), but didn't find the time
to actually do so. Maybe today while traveling .... ;-)

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

--
David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Tapple Gao
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:17:35AM +0100, Lukas Renggli wrote:
> I prepared a quick demo of the Squeak web site using Pier. My thanks
> go to Danie and Karl, that provided me with the old image to migrate
> the content. I did not adapt the CSS or the components of the page
> yet, what you see is as Pier comes after the installation. As I
> mentioned there are dozens of plugins ready that can be placed at any
> part of the web-site:
>
>      http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch

What I see there looks like nothing even remotely resembling a
web site. It looks like a random-string of non-ascii characters

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Bert Freudenberg

On 02.04.2008, at 21:00, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:17:35AM +0100, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> I prepared a quick demo of the Squeak web site using Pier. My thanks
>> go to Danie and Karl, that provided me with the old image to migrate
>> the content. I did not adapt the CSS or the components of the page
>> yet, what you see is as Pier comes after the installation. As I
>> mentioned there are dozens of plugins ready that can be placed at any
>> part of the web-site:
>>
>>     http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch
>
> What I see there looks like nothing even remotely resembling a
> web site. It looks like a random-string of non-ascii characters

Yeah, in Firefox. In Safari and Opera I see half of the source of an
xhtml web page ...

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

Philippe Marschall
2008/4/2, Matthew Fulmer <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:17:35AM +0100, Lukas Renggli wrote:
>  > I prepared a quick demo of the Squeak web site using Pier. My thanks
>  > go to Danie and Karl, that provided me with the old image to migrate
>  > the content. I did not adapt the CSS or the components of the page
>  > yet, what you see is as Pier comes after the installation. As I
>  > mentioned there are dozens of plugins ready that can be placed at any
>  > part of the web-site:
>  >
>  >      http://squeak.lukas-renggli.ch
>

> What I see there looks like nothing even remotely resembling a
>  web site. It looks like a random-string of non-ascii characters

No, it looks like a site website with UTF-32 little endian encoding.
Looks like someone broke something. Lukas might not be able to react
this week.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: [squeak-dev] Pier demo of squeak.org ready

timrowledge
Appears like a website to me in Safari 3.1.

tim
Useful random insult:- Can't program his way out of a for-loop.

2008/4/2, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:
> Appears like a website to me in Safari 3.1.

Lukas fixed it.

Cheers
Philippe

12