[squeak-dev] Polymorph in a trunk image

Casey Ransberger
What's different about the way Monticello decides how big it's system
windows should be when new ones are open from the way the system
browser does it?

With Polymorph in a trunk image, something is quite wrong with the
system browser that isn't wrong with Monticello. I'm hoping this is a
clue to the bug.

If you're interested, see the affixed image.

To be clear:

I have loaded:

Polymorph-Widgets-gvc.97.mcz
Polymorph-ToolBuilder-gvc.10.mcz

Gut says it's related to something in the ToolBuilder. I'm going to
start looking at what changed there in the package.

Ron

[squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Casey Ransberger
Whoops, forgot the image

--
Ron

Picture 2.png (66K) Download Attachment

[squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Andreas.Raab
I've seen this before. Check if there are overrides in any of the
buildWith: methods (very likely) and revert them to see if that fixes
it. In addition check Polymorph's ToolBuilder>>open: method and compare
it to MorphicToolBuilder's version. It's got to be one of those.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Ronald Spengler wrote:

> What's different about the way Monticello decides how big it's system
> windows should be when new ones are open from the way the system
> browser does it?
>
> With Polymorph in a trunk image, something is quite wrong with the
> system browser that isn't wrong with Monticello. I'm hoping this is a
> clue to the bug.
>
> If you're interested, see the affixed image.
>
> To be clear:
>
> I have loaded:
>
> Polymorph-Widgets-gvc.97.mcz
> Polymorph-ToolBuilder-gvc.10.mcz
>
> Gut says it's related to something in the ToolBuilder. I'm going to
> start looking at what changed there in the package.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Casey Ransberger
I'm not seeing changes to either such method, but I am certain that
the problem happens somewhere inside of
Polymorph-ToolBuilder-gvc.10.mcz, because (after tiny bit of hacking)
I can load Polymorph-Widgets-gvc.97.mcz, and the problem doesn't
reproduce.

I'm going to have to keep looking.

Ron

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Casey Ransberger
Bingo -- I think.

Polymorph-ToolBuilder-Morphic introduces PSToolBuilder>>buildPluggableWindow:

This does has one sender, PluggableWindowSpec>>buildWith:

Removing PSToolBuilder>>buildPluggableWindow: makes the browser open
to a proper size again.

It's looking like you were on the money, Andreas:)

Only catch is, I'm not sure what the method did or why because I
removed it without quarter. I'm going to play around with trying to
figure out what it was doing and why.

Ron

Ronald Spengler wrote:
> Polymorph-ToolBuilder-Morphic introduces PSToolBuilder>>buildPluggableWindow:
>
> This does has one sender, PluggableWindowSpec>>buildWith:
>
> Removing PSToolBuilder>>buildPluggableWindow: makes the browser open
> to a proper size again.

Ah, now it's getting clear. Here is what you need to add to
PSToolBuilder to fix things:

        widget bounds: (RealEstateAgent
                initialFrameFor: widget
                initialExtent: (aSpec extent ifNil:[widget initialExtent])
                world: self currentWorld).

The method in Squeak is time stamped 7/28/2009 so very recent (which
explains why I had seen the problem before).

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Casey Ransberger
Awesome! Yeah, that fixes the bug.

It looks like we have a subclass of ToolBuilder doing some of the
lifting in Polymorph. Is there any documentation / mailing list
threads / etc that I might go-to before sending mail to the list other
than?

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5607

Ron

Ronald Spengler wrote:
> Awesome! Yeah, that fixes the bug.
>
> It looks like we have a subclass of ToolBuilder doing some of the
> lifting in Polymorph. Is there any documentation / mailing list
> threads / etc that I might go-to before sending mail to the list other
> than?

Nope. This is the place ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5607
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ronald Spengler wrote:
>>> Polymorph-ToolBuilder-Morphic introduces
>>> PSToolBuilder>>buildPluggableWindow:
>>>
>>> This does has one sender, PluggableWindowSpec>>buildWith:
>>>
>>> Removing PSToolBuilder>>buildPluggableWindow: makes the browser open
>>> to a proper size again.
>> Ah, now it's getting clear. Here is what you need to add to PSToolBuilder to
>> fix things:
>>
>>        widget bounds: (RealEstateAgent
>>                initialFrameFor: widget
>>                initialExtent: (aSpec extent ifNil:[widget initialExtent])
>>                world: self currentWorld).
>>
>> The method in Squeak is time stamped 7/28/2009 so very recent (which
>> explains why I had seen the problem before).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Casey Ransberger
Here's some irony: after a night of hacking the fat out of Polymorph,
PSToolBuilder no longer has any class refs.

Ron

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Casey Ransberger
In fact, if one removes all the themes except the (old?) "standard"
and "soft," and then removes every unused class and method in the two
required Polymorph packages, the Polymorph ToolBuilder category goes
away. In the course of this, I've probably horribly broken every theme
except maybe (old?) "standard" Squeak, so one can hardly call it
Polymorph afterward.

I know some folks frown on forking, but I seem to have forked tonight.

Ron

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Chris Hogan
That reminds me of a t-shirt I once saw.

"Spooning leads to forking"

Ronald Spengler wrote

Ron

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Polymorph in a trunk image

Gary Chambers-4
I don't think there ever were any direct class refs to PSToolBuilder...
check ToolBuilder class>>default as to why.

Regards, Gary

--
Ron