[squeak-dev] Prolog revived

Stéphane Rollandin
hello list,

I uploaded in SqueakMap a refactored version of Prolog (initially by
Mike Teng, ported to Squeak by Bolot Kerimbaev).

Prolog loading was broken since 3.7; this version loads fine in 3.8 and
3.10.

A lot of code has been changed, so it should be considered experimental.
I will add tests in future versions.

Re: [squeak-dev] Prolog revived

Ryan Mitchley
Hi Stef

I, for one, am very interested in this project!

How easy it is to extract the search and backtracking functionality for use in one's own classes? (i.e. bypass the Prolog scanning and parsing etc.). How easily do the Prolog terms map to Squeak constructions?

And then, out of curiosity, what are the differences from a standardish Edinburgh style Prolog (e.g. SWI or similar)?

Thanks a lot.

Ryan

Re: [squeak-dev] Prolog revived

garduino
Excellent news!

Thanks.

Ryan Mitchley a écrit :
> How easy it is to extract the search and backtracking functionality for use
> in one's own classes? (i.e. bypass the Prolog scanning and parsing etc.).
> How easily do the Prolog terms map to Squeak constructions?
>
> And then, out of curiosity, what are the differences from a standardish
> Edinburgh style Prolog (e.g. SWI or similar)?

these are exactly the things I plan to investigate :)

so far I have only been hacking the code superficially. I don't know how
it really works yet.

note that another working Prolog implementation exists:
http://www.zephyr.dti.ne.jp/~nishis/smalltalk/Squeak/goodies/index.html
(only the GUI is broken for newer images)

Re: [squeak-dev] Prolog revived

Stéphane Rollandin
note:

the new Prolog code is versioned 2.3 on SqueakMap.
the 1.1-2 version that seems newer is actually older: I mistakenly
erased it when uploading my code, then Marcus put it back on line.

Stef