[squeak-dev] Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists

[squeak-dev] Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists

Giuseppe
Hi all,

I don't know if this was suggested, much traffic this days on squeak-
dev, and no time to read it correctly.

I would like to propose, a squeak.org multilingual. This could be
important for promote Squeak. I can help with spanish translation.

Other propose, is, I would like to ask for a spanish official
maillist, something like squeak-es.

There are much maillist in spanish (smalltalking, clubsmalltalk,
squeakros, and so on), but, I think, is important to have one ampared
by squeak.org .

What do you think?

Cheers.

Re: [squeak-dev] Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists

Janko Mivšek
Hi Giuseppe,

I support your proposal to have squeak.org in many languages but only if
  every language sub-community will really maintain their content. Maybe
here a Wikipedia model can be followed, where for each topic you have
links to topics in other languages, but only those in which that topic
is explained. And what is important to note in Wikipedia case is that
topics are explained differently in each language, depending of the
perspective of the community behind. So, maybe we can introduce
something similar on squeak.org too, besides usual translations, of course.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

[squeak-dev] re: squeak-dev translations (was "Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists")

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

      While I appreciate the effort that non-native English-speaking
Squeakers put into their translations, I'd love to see messages from
them in their native languages. This would give me the option of doing
the translation to English myself. I often feel like something has been
lost, and I'd love to know what the writer meant in their most familiar
language, idioms and all.

-C

Re: [squeak-dev] re: squeak-dev translations (was "Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists")

Juan Vuletich-4
Ni a palos Craig!

Te vamos a volver loco en dos minutos!

(No way Craig! We'll drive you nuts in two minutes!)

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      While I appreciate the effort that non-native English-speaking
> Squeakers put into their translations, I'd love to see messages from
> them in their native languages. This would give me the option of doing
> the translation to English myself. I often feel like something has
> been lost, and I'd love to know what the writer meant in their most
> familiar language, idioms and all.
>

> -C

Re: [squeak-dev] squeak-dev translations

Michael van der Gulik-2
I welcome discussions in other languages, but I'm afraid many other people would consider it rude.

I think there are more non-native English speakers here now than native English speakers. Using other languages on this list is more inclusive; it allows people who can't understand English to also participate with translaters acting as intermediaries.

Alternatively, we could all learn Esperanto :-).

Gulik.

Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>

Re: [squeak-dev] re: squeak-dev translations (was "Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists")

Herbert König
Hello Craig,

CL>       While I appreciate the effort that non-native English-speaking
CL> Squeakers put into their translations, I'd love to see messages from
CL> them in their native languages. This would give me the option of doing

I think different in English than I think in German and my English
thoughts wouldn't translate to German. So in most of the cases I don't
do translation when writing in English.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: [squeak-dev] re: squeak-dev translations (was "Proposals for Squeak.org and maillists")

K. K. Subramaniam
On Saturday 22 March 2008 2:01:10 am Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi--
>
>       While I appreciate the effort that non-native English-speaking
> Squeakers put into their translations, I'd love to see messages from
> them in their native languages. This would give me the option of doing
> the translation to English myself. I often feel like something has been
> lost, and I'd love to know what the writer meant in their most familiar
> language, idioms and all.
Craig,

Good intentions but I doubt if it is feasible with the kind of mail agents
available today. English, warts and all, has evolved over the years into a
link language for exchanging ideas in an international context, particularly
in a technical context.

A day may come when mail agents translate on the fly between different
languages. Imagine waving a magic lens over a piece of text and see it
translated (slang and all) into the reader's native language! Until then, we
have to make do with plain ASCII.

Subbu

      Herbert writes:

 > I think different in English than I think in German and my English
 > thoughts wouldn't translate to German. So in most of the cases I don't
 > do translation when writing in English.

      Indeed, but I'd like to know how you "really think", so seeing the
German would be very useful to me. (Ideally I'd be able to see both;
being able to compare them would be enlightening too.)

      Subbu writes:

 > A day may come when mail agents translate on the fly between different
 > languages. Imagine waving a magic lens over a piece of text and see it
 > translated (slang and all) into the reader's native language! Until
 > then, we have to make do with plain ASCII.

      Well, I happen to have access to sufficiently good translation
tools and nearby friends who speak multiple languages. I don't mind
going to the effort. Given a message that had both original and English
versions, I expect I'd use the original version mostly to clarify the
parts of the English version that don't make sense.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist