[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] New FunSqueak 6

Klaus D. Witzel
Thank you Edgar :)

Before I forget it, during your stint outside of hyperspace, the squeak-ev
list (Squeak in Germania) asked about MathMorphs and the Squeakland
.image; do you have any Squeakland+MathMorphs status information which I
could forward to them?

TIA.

/Klaus

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:32:06 +0100, Edgar wrote:

> I put a new FunSqueak3.10alpha.6.image.
>
> To list of previous packages, I add VMmaker and SystemTracer2.
> For loading VMmaker , I first must load Speech-Klatt.st.
> Was last versions for 3.8, so take easy until owners update his packages.
> I remember FunSqueak 5 have
> RoelTyper,eCompletion,Scheduler,Seaside,Pier,Magritte.
> Server is running
>
> To web team ,  please update the info and links.
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/FunSqueak/FunSqueak3.10alpha.6.zip
>
> Enjoy and send feedback
>
> Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] New FunSqueak 6

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 3/24/08 9:08 AM, "Klaus D. Witzel" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Thank you Edgar :)
>
> Before I forget it, during your stint outside of hyperspace, the squeak-ev
> list (Squeak in Germania) asked about MathMorphs and the Squeakland
> .image; do you have any Squeakland+MathMorphs status information which I
> could forward to them?
>
> TIA.
>
> /Klaus

Don't know status of Squeakland, but MorphicWrappers and MathMorphs was
ported some time ago by Milan Zimmerman and me to 3.9
I do some correction recently and know people who created both in Smalltalks
2007 (in Buenos Aires) in person.

They could email me and try to help.
I bet no big problems for load and run, but I don't know any actual working
on it.

Cheers

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] New FunSqueak 6

Milan Zimmermann-2
On 2008 March 24, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Thank you Edgar :)
>
> Before I forget it, during your stint outside of hyperspace, the squeak-ev
> list (Squeak in Germania) asked about MathMorphs and the Squeakland
> .image; do you have any Squeakland+MathMorphs status information which I
> could forward to them?

Hi Klaus,

Edgar and I ported the original MathMorphs (and Morphicwrappers) to 3.9. the
main purpose was to convert the code to Monticello in hope it will invite
easier maintenance. The main part of MathMorphs code loads and is quite
complete, although more could always be done.

If someone is interested in using it, i would not mind maintaining it,
although the next 3 months my time will be tight. In fairness, before people
start using it, I would like to clarify the license. During the original port
to SqueakSource and follow up emails I attempted to make 2 points clear:
        - That the original work is from authors at the University of Buenos Aires
and others, we merely ported it and converted to Monticello.
        - I was trying (unsuccesfully) to find out/ask what the original licensing
was. As a result, no license is specified. If any of the original authors
read this, please let us know...

The main links are summarized here:

        Original Site and Code:
        http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~caniglia/mathMorphs.html

        SqueakSource
        http://www.squeaksource.com/MathMorphsRevival/

        Wiki, Books, and related info
        http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5855
        http://community.ofset.org/wiki/MathMorphs_Revival_Project
        http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/squeakbook/uploads/mathmorphs.pdf

Hope this helps as a start,

Milan

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:23:54 +0100, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 3/24/08 9:08 AM, "Klaus D. Witzel" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> Thank you Edgar :)
>>
>> Before I forget it, during your stint outside of hyperspace, the
>> squeak-ev
>> list (Squeak in Germania) asked about MathMorphs and the Squeakland
>> .image; do you have any Squeakland+MathMorphs status information which I
>> could forward to them?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> /Klaus
>

> Don't know status of Squeakland, but MorphicWrappers and MathMorphs was
> ported some time ago by Milan Zimmerman and me to 3.9
> I do some correction recently and know people who created both in
> Smalltalks 2007 (in Buenos Aires) in person.
>
> They could email me and try to help.

Thanks for the kind offer but, two problems: language barrier and
incompatible paradigma (they are users who translate SqueakLand .image for
use in their class room for the children).

> I bet no big problems for load and run, but I don't know any actual
> working on it.

Yeah I feared that (from Google's results list); the next thing would be:
would MathMorphs in the SqueakLand .image be maintained, etc.

Thanks again.

/Klaus> Cheers

> Edgar

[squeak-dev] Moving MathMorphs further [was: [ANN] New FunSqueak 6]

Klaus D. Witzel
Hey Milan,

on Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:57:50 +0100, you wrote:

> On 2008 March 24, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> Thank you Edgar :)
>>
>> Before I forget it, during your stint outside of hyperspace, the
>> squeak-ev
>> list (Squeak in Germania) asked about MathMorphs and the Squeakland
>> .image; do you have any Squeakland+MathMorphs status information which I
>> could forward to them?
>
> Hi Klaus,
>
> Edgar and I ported the original MathMorphs (and Morphicwrappers) to 3.9.
> the
> main purpose was to convert the code to Monticello in hope it will invite
> easier maintenance. The main part of MathMorphs code loads and is quite
> complete, although more could always be done.
>
> If someone is interested in using it, i would not mind maintaining it,
> although the next 3 months my time will be tight.

Nobody in squeak-ev (except perhaps some of their busy developers :) knew
nothing about those morphs until Edgar put the fun into his fun .image so,
no problem with waiting a bit more until things fall in place :)

> In fairness, before people
> start using it, I would like to clarify the license. During the original
> port
> to SqueakSource and follow up emails I attempted to make 2 points clear:
> - That the original work is from authors at the University of Buenos
> Aires
> and others, we merely ported it and converted to Monticello.
> - I was trying (unsuccesfully) to find out/ask what the original
> licensing
> was. As a result, no license is specified.

Waahhh, not this +"*%&/ license word again ;-)

> If any of the original authors
> read this, please let us know...

Yes please, and thank you very much Milan for the good news.

Sure, that is. Thanks again.

/Klaus