[squeak-dev] Re: Did Alice wander?

Gary Dunn

>From: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
>
> Gary Dunn wrote:
>> I was reading about SqueakMap and came across the Swiki page for Alice
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1861
>
> The Wiki is extremely outdated.
>
>> Is anyone actively using Alice in Squeak?
>
> I do work on some aspects from time to time. The most recent work can be
> found here: http://squeaksource.com/Balloon3D.html
>
> Cheers,
>    -
> Andreas

I am more interested in teaching with Alice than creating 3D images. Any educators here doing that? With the Saueak version rather than the Java version.
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]
Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Did Alice wander?

Igor Stasenko
2009/7/22 Gary Dunn <[hidden email]>:

>>From: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Gary Dunn wrote:
>>> I was reading about SqueakMap and came across the Swiki page for Alice
>>>
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1861
>>
>> The Wiki is extremely outdated.
>>
>>> Is anyone actively using Alice in Squeak?
>>
>> I do work on some aspects from time to time. The most recent work can be
>> found here: http://squeaksource.com/Balloon3D.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    -
>> Andreas
>
> I am more interested in teaching with Alice than creating 3D images. Any educators here doing that? With the Saueak version rather than the Java version.

Gary, i suppose you heard about Croquet/OpenCobalt. Why you don't want
to use them instead?

> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> [hidden email]
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

[squeak-dev] Re: Did Alice wander?

Andreas.Raab
Hi Gary -

The 3D modeling stuff comes on top of Alice. It can be used to create
some initial content more easily (scripting cubes and spheres is fun,
but it's even more fun to script *your* objects). In particular because
you can use photographs etc. and have the students really *be* their own
avatars. Try it some time and you'll see how much fun it actually is.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Gary, i suppose you heard about Croquet/OpenCobalt. Why you don't want
> to use them instead?

Because neither is geared towards teaching how to program. Unless you
are planning to give a course on how to build a replicated 3D
environment, the learning curve will be a bit steep ;-) There isn't even
any scripting to talk of in Croquet / Cobalt. Except from some initial
experiments we never got around to doing anything in that direction.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Did Alice wander?

Donna@hawcenter.org
Gary,

I went to an Alice seminar a couple of years ago and agree that it would be
great to have an Alice curriculum written in Squeak for learning Squeak. I
hope to be rallying some resources through my research institute (located in
Southern Caliofnria) towards getting this project moving forward sometime
next year.

Donna Schrokosch,
Founder, Hawthorne Center for Innovation

>> I was reading about SqueakMap and came across the Swiki page for Alice
>>
>> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1861
>
> The Wiki is extremely outdated.
>
>> Is anyone actively using Alice in Squeak?
>
> I do work on some aspects from time to time. The most recent work can be
> found here: http://squeaksource.com/Balloon3D.html
>
> Cheers,
>    -
> Andreas

I am more interested in teaching with Alice than creating 3D images. Any
educators here doing that? With the Saueak version rather than the Java
version.
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]
http://openslate.net/
http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Did Alice wander?

dcorking
Donna wrote:

> I ... agree that it would be
> great to have an Alice curriculum written in Squeak for learning Squeak.

The tutorials and demos I saw implied (to me) that the Alice language,
while powerful, is more or less self-contained.  What aspects of
Squeak could a student learn through an  Alice curriculum?

David