[squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

[squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

John Chludzinski
> I think that's a really old version (Michael, if I'm right can you
> update the SqueakMap entry?). Try loading the latest from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Jabber

I went to this site and downloaded: Jabber-jf.8.mcz. I noticed KomServices-jf.6.mcz listed. I'm currently using the latest Comanche (via SqueakMap) + Seaside (also via SqueakMap). Do I need to update Comanche (with KomServices-jf.6.mcz
)?

---John

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

Andrey Larionov
My 50 cents. Recently i start of extracting client library code for
XMPP. First i try to use Julian's code from SqueakSource. But then i'm
found more complete realisation in Cobalt. I try to adapt Cobalt code
to current Squeak and fail (i'm newbie), couse they use Scripting for
connection handling. And for more clarity i decide back to Julian's
code and make it run on Squeak and after it accuratly merge Cobalt
features.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 23:15, John Chludzinski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I think that's a really old version (Michael, if I'm right can you
>> update the SqueakMap entry?). Try loading the latest from
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Jabber
>

> I went to this site and downloaded: Jabber-jf.8.mcz.  I noticed
> KomServices-jf.6.mcz listed.  I'm currently using the latest Comanche (via
> SqueakMap) + Seaside (also via SqueakMap).  Do I need to update Comanche
> (with KomServices-jf.6.mcz
>
> )?
>
> ---John

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

Steve Wart
Was just chatting about this. There are a few points that might be useful to note:

* yes the Cobalt version is older than that on Squeaksource
* it works
* it depends on Tweak, but the UI and backend are separate, so if this is for a Seaside app it shouldn't be hard to integrate

Cheers,
Steve

<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think that's a really old version (Michael, if I'm right can you
>> update the SqueakMap entry?). Try loading the latest from
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Jabber
>

> I went to this site and downloaded: Jabber-jf.8.mcz.  I noticed
> KomServices-jf.6.mcz listed.  I'm currently using the latest Comanche (via
> SqueakMap) + Seaside (also via SqueakMap).  Do I need to update Comanche
> (with KomServices-jf.6.mcz

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

Andrey Larionov
Cobalt's backend also depends on Scripting package, which also missing
in latest Squeak images.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 23:44, Steve Wart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was just chatting about this. There are a few points that might be useful to
> note:
>
> * yes the Cobalt version is older than that on Squeaksource
> * it works
> * it depends on Tweak, but the UI and backend are separate, so if this is
> for a Seaside app it shouldn't be hard to integrate
>
> Cheers,
> Steve
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Andrey Larionov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> My 50 cents. Recently i start of extracting client library code for
>> XMPP. First i try to use Julian's code from SqueakSource. But then i'm
>> found more complete realisation in Cobalt. I try to adapt Cobalt code
>> to current Squeak and fail (i'm newbie), couse they use Scripting for
>> connection handling. And for more clarity i decide back to Julian's
>> code and make it run on Squeak and after it accuratly merge Cobalt
>> features.

>> > I went to this site and downloaded: Jabber-jf.8.mcz.  I noticed
>> > KomServices-jf.6.mcz listed.  I'm currently using the latest Comanche
>> > (via
>> > SqueakMap) + Seaside (also via SqueakMap).  Do I need to update Comanche
>> > (with KomServices-jf.6.mcz

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

John Chludzinski
Is there some place that describes how to set up a quick example of a Jabber IM session using this code?  I assume I need to start some server for this purpose like I start a Comanche server (WAKom startOn: 8080. or WAListener startOn: 8888.) for Seaside?  ---John

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 3:15 PM, John Chludzinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that's a really old version (Michael, if I'm right can you
> update the SqueakMap entry?). Try loading the latest from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Jabber

I went to this site and downloaded: Jabber-jf.8.mcz. I noticed KomServices-jf.6.mcz listed. I'm currently using the latest Comanche (via SqueakMap) + Seaside (also via SqueakMap). Do I need to update Comanche (with KomServices-jf.6.mcz
)?

---John

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

John Chludzinski
Just noticed this after some Googling about:

Too many easy things are hard and hard things are for all practical purposes impossible. Case in point - XMPP aka Jabber which has exploded into widespread use. Yes there are 2 Smalltalk Jabber clients available but they are sorely lacking. Secure authentication isn’t built-in and rolling your own with the Cryptography package is not trivial. In contrast, in the world of Ruby, the robust XMPP4R and the drop-dead easy Jabber::Simple built upon it have emerged as defacto standards from a pool of a half dozen or so implementations. However these problems are not due to some inherent flaw in Smalltalk but rather another facet of its Achilles Heel.

---John

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:33 PM, John Chludzinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there some place that describes how to set up a quick example of a Jabber IM session using this code?  I assume I need to start some server for this purpose like I start a Comanche server (WAKom startOn: 8080. or WAListener startOn: 8888.) for Seaside?  ---John

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 3:15 PM, John Chludzinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think that's a really old version (Michael, if I'm right can you
> update the SqueakMap entry?). Try loading the latest from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Jabber

I went to this site and downloaded: Jabber-jf.8.mcz. I noticed KomServices-jf.6.mcz listed. I'm currently using the latest Comanche (via SqueakMap) + Seaside (also via SqueakMap). Do I need to update Comanche (with KomServices-jf.6.mcz
)?

---John

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Jabber install problem?

Julian Fitzell-2
Hi John,

I posted this in response to your thread on the Seaside list but
thought I would add it here as well in case others were interested.
The closest I ever got to documenting the server-side code was this
mailing list post:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-August/094141.html

I added most of that content to the SqueakSource page so it can be
more easily found.

I truly apologize for leaving the code in such an unfinished state but
it was a case of working on something I thought I was going to use and
then I just ended up not using it and it fell too far down my priority
list to finish. I would really love if someone wants to get the
package polished up and make it more useable again. You might even
twist my arm into contributing occasionaly -  I still think having a
solid XMPP library in Squeak would be very cool; I just don't have the
brain bandwidth to drive it and don't see that changing any time soon.

Julian