[squeak-dev] Re: Looking for reverse egineering from smalltalk to UML

[squeak-dev] Re: Looking for reverse egineering from smalltalk to UML

Stephan Eggermont-3
There is Dandelion, a tool to export XMI (older version).
Creating .xmi class diagram files is not difficult.
http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/stClasses/dandelion/index.html

There is also moose, the reengineering toolkit.
http://moose.unibe.ch

If you want to get better type information, you should
directly inspect  the running image, to see which instance
variables contain what classes of object.

Handling blocks is going to be fun (not).

Stephan

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Looking for reverse egineering from smalltalk to UML

Igor Stasenko
2009/2/16 Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]>:

> There is Dandelion, a tool to export XMI (older version).
> Creating .xmi class diagram files is not difficult.
> http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~umejava/smalltalk/stClasses/dandelion/index.html
>
> There is also moose, the reengineering toolkit.
> http://moose.unibe.ch
>
> If you want to get better type information, you should
> directly inspect  the running image, to see which instance
> variables contain what classes of object.
>
> Handling blocks is going to be fun (not).

I tried to use UML for modelling smalltalk classes & relations. But
then quit this idea quickly after trying multiple UML tools for it..
I don't understand why i need to specify a variable types, and types
method arguments & return types. All tools require type information
for all such entities (you can't leave them empty).
It seems that UML was designed for languages with static typing, and
does not fit for modeling smalltalk classes.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.