[squeak-dev] Re-liason proposal

12

Re: [squeak-dev] Bug reporting (was Re-liason proposal)

Janko Mivšek
John M McIntosh pravi:

>> In this case you make a couple of suggestions.  I grant you that, but
>> actually implementing them requires significantly more fleshing out of
>> the proposals.
>>
>> Ken
>

> What's missing is the simple part, I can see it as.
>
> (a) download a developer image
>
> (b) start it up, you get asked say you want to be a developer and
> contribute? Yes -> collect that information, MIT license agreement etc.
>
> (c) walkback/whatever -> send that information off to the Squeak Bug
> Czar?   At this point I don't care too much what the information is
> given (b) who ever sits in the role of the Bug Czar can email back to
> the person and collect more information.  As you've realized once
> you can talk to the person you can get them to do what is required.

Something like Firefox have to report crashes? This can be doable I
suppose and we'd collect at least statistically the problems Squeak
users have. But this need to go to a separate database, not to the
Mantis. So, Mozilla approach is to be studied a bit here ...

Next step would then be a more advanced reporting of a bug, from someone
who is skilled enough to describe what happened, why, where probably lie
the problem etc. This would go to Mantis directly.

Again such "one-click" reporting a bug would certainly be a big step
forward, current Mantis is just hard to grasp for newcomers, which is
the reason people avoid it, I'm sure. At least such is my experience
with it so far.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] Bug reporting (was Re-liason proposal)

Ian Trudel-2
2009/7/7 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Something like Firefox have to report crashes? This can be doable I
> suppose and we'd collect at least statistically the problems Squeak
> users have. But this need to go to a separate database, not to the
> Mantis. So, Mozilla approach is to be studied a bit here ...
>
> Next step would then be a more advanced reporting of a bug, from someone
> who is skilled enough to describe what happened, why, where probably lie
> the problem etc. This would go to Mantis directly.
>
> Again such "one-click" reporting a bug would certainly be a big step
> forward, current Mantis is just hard to grasp for newcomers, which is
> the reason people avoid it, I'm sure. At least such is my experience
> with it so far.

There are probably important differences for each approach: reporting
walkback is about reporting errors shown by the debugger while Firefox
reports crashes from the application. The latter would translate as
reporting crashes from the VM. Both could be useful.

This would be a real benefit to the community, statistics and
information about errors automatically reported (or using a push
button). How cool is that. In a deployment scenario, this could be
redirected to another server (for the project or a company's server)
and collect the data for a better support and maintenance. I like
that.

Regards,
Ian.

--