[squeak-dev] Spell Check

Gary Dunn
Is there a spell checker for text morphs? If not, has anyone tried implementing aspell? (http:/aspell.net)
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]
http://openslate.net/
http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Michael Rueger-6
Gary Dunn wrote:
> Is there a spell checker for text morphs? If not, has anyone tried
> implementing aspell? (http:/aspell.net)

You could check out the work done in Sophie :-)

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Gary Dunn
On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 23:23 +0200, Michael Rueger wrote:
> Gary Dunn wrote:
> > Is there a spell checker for text morphs? If not, has anyone tried
> > implementing aspell? (http:/aspell.net)
>
> You could check out the work done in Sophie :-)

Thanks! Great tip.

Sophie looks like it should play a key role in Open Slate, yet there are
aspects that bother me. One is the assumption that users will always
have a network connection. Another is that although it is written in
Squeak, the end user does not touch Squeak. They use a web browser, with
a plug-in. Squeak has no such animal, right? So while I applaud the use
of Squeak, I would prefer that Sophie be accessible from Squeak.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Lukas Renggli
Not exactly what you are looking for, but you might be interested into
this one:

  http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/spell-checker

Lukas

2009/7/28 Gary Dunn <[hidden email]>:
> Is there a spell checker for text morphs? If not, has anyone tried implementing aspell? (http:/aspell.net)
> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> [hidden email]
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Karl Ramberg
http://www.jvuletich.org/Squeak/Scrabble/ScrabbleEng.html

Karl

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Gary Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a spell checker for text morphs? If not, has anyone tried implementing aspell? (http:/aspell.net)
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]
http://openslate.net/
http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

johnmci
Ok,

(a) the macintosh spell checker  from Sophie was dragged into Pharo,
see subclasses of RBSpellChecker

(b) Don't be confused by the Sophie 1.0 which is based on squeak and
does not need the internet to read books unless you link out to
internet media
http://www.opensophie.org. New BSD license http://opensophie.org/en/about/license

(c) Sophie 2.0 http://www.sophieproject.org written by a different
group/organization in Java and based on a Java server in the cloud.

--
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Gary Dunn
On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:46:06 John M McIntosh wrote:

> (b) Don't be confused by the Sophie 1.0 which is based on squeak
[snip]

> (c) Sophie 2.0 http://www.sophieproject.org written by a different
> group/organization in Java

First Alice is lost to Java, now Sophie. What does Java have that Squeak doesn't have? Bigger biceps? A better tan? Whiter teeth? Dos Equis?
--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
[hidden email]
http://openslate.net/
http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Bert Freudenberg

On 31.07.2009, at 00:40, Gary Dunn wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:46:06 John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> (b) Don't be confused by the Sophie 1.0 which is based on squeak
> [snip]
>>
>> (c) Sophie 2.0 http://www.sophieproject.org written by a different
>> group/organization in Java
>
> First Alice is lost to Java, now Sophie.

Alice was never implemented in Squeak. You're confusing this with
Wonderland.

> What does Java have that Squeak doesn't have? Bigger biceps? A
> better tan? Whiter teeth? Dos Equis?

Money.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Randal L. Schwartz

Gary> First Alice is lost to Java, now Sophie. What does Java have that Squeak
Gary> doesn't have? Bigger biceps? A better tan? Whiter teeth? Dos Equis?

PHBs who "manage by magazine", seeing large ads from Sun for Java (at
least, in the past), but no such large ads for Smalltalk, and becoming
very nervous.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

johnmci
safety by numbers?...
But it's unfair to say Sophie is lost, since the entire 1.0 code base is open source and sitting there waiting for ownership...

First Alice is lost to Java, now Sophie. What does Java have that Squeak doesn't have? Bigger biceps? A better tan? Whiter teeth? Dos Equis?
Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>

Re: [squeak-dev] Spell Check

Trygve
Q: What does Java have that Squeak doesn't have?
A: A wide acceptance as a vehicle for professional programming.

Q: What does Squeak have that Java doesn't?
A: Objects.

ISO defines DATA as a representation of facts or ideas in a formalized manner capable of being
communicated or manipulated by some process.

Computers can transform, store, and move DATA.
An object encapsulates state and behavior.
Objects communicate in systems of interlinked objects.

Alice (as well as Ducasse's BotsInc) teaches the essential first steps of data transformation through the behavior of predefined figures:  sequence, loop, and branch.

The next step for Alice/Jave must be classes, essentially the packaging of state and behavior in isolated objects. The reason is that systems of interacting objects is outside the idea of a class.

The next step  for Alice/Squeak could better be to illustrate that the essence of object orientation is that objects communicate to achieve a common goal. Teach the students to build systems of interacting figures in gradually more complex interaction patterns, still keeping it concrete by showing objects as concrete figures.

Squeak could become the preferred environment for introducing students to the essential concepts of computing. It is important to do this before their brain is atrophied so that they can only think in terms of classes, i.e., isolated objects.

We could do an essential community service if the many squeakers that are targeting the novice would join forces and work towards a common goal.

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: [hidden email]

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway