[squeak-dev] SqNumberParser refactoring

Nicolas Cellier-3
SqNumberParser speed up has been introduced a little prematurely in
3.10.1 image. I uploaded correction for a detail at
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6976

Now all the tests parsing gradual underflow Float should pass again
(round to the nearest Float as was the case before the speed up).

That's quite some time i spent correcting my own bugs with this
SqNumberParser!
- http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6976 speed up (harvested in 3.10.1)
   introduced the bug described above
- http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982 (not harvested)
   had a typo
- http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3512 (harvested in 3.9)
   introduced a bug in ScaledDecimal parsing
   (see http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7169)
- http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6779 (in minor fix unstable 3.10)
   duplicated this bug in another method
   so did http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982

Sorry for inconvenience (don't think any user but me bumped into these
problems however, given that Number readFrom: is far worse w.r.t.
nearest Float, and is still the official Number reader in the image).
Sorry for flooding maintainers too (I think the impact is bigger).

Looking at my own code i saw code duplications, not enough comment,
typos in comments.
Some will find that using inst var to save some of the parser state is
tricky, but that's another subject (Scanner and parser do the same).
This is the cost of efficiency. And that's why comments are necessary.

Anyway, i refactored a bit, cleaned duplications, added comments, and
added more speed again for LargeInteger using same kind of divide and
conquer trick as http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6887 (more in
another post)

All my tests are green. Now, i have a problem for publishing in mantis.
Since the refactoring does interfere with a lot of already published
patches some harvested, some not, some on the way to be harvested, It
might create some problems for harvesters (load order of Installer
mantis ensureFix:).

I like the small change sets for they can be adopted independantly in
several distributions, but there Monticello might be more appropriated.

What do you suggest?

Re: [squeak-dev] SqNumberParser refactoring

stephane ducasse
create a new entry and funnel all the other ones to the new one.
Nicolas what would be great is to have one change that group
everything else this is really difficult to find the right files
to file in together.

Stef

On Aug 31, 2008, at 4:46 AM, nicolas cellier wrote:

> SqNumberParser speed up has been introduced a little prematurely in
> 3.10.1 image. I uploaded correction for a detail at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6976
>
> Now all the tests parsing gradual underflow Float should pass again
> (round to the nearest Float as was the case before the speed up).
>
> That's quite some time i spent correcting my own bugs with this
> SqNumberParser!
> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6976 speed up (harvested in
> 3.10.1)
>  introduced the bug described above
> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982 (not harvested)
>  had a typo
> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3512 (harvested in 3.9)
>  introduced a bug in ScaledDecimal parsing
>  (see http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7169)
> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6779 (in minor fix unstable 3.10)
>  duplicated this bug in another method
>  so did http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982
>
> Sorry for inconvenience (don't think any user but me bumped into
> these problems however, given that Number readFrom: is far worse
> w.r.t. nearest Float, and is still the official Number reader in the
> image).
> Sorry for flooding maintainers too (I think the impact is bigger).
>
> Looking at my own code i saw code duplications, not enough comment,
> typos in comments.
> Some will find that using inst var to save some of the parser state
> is tricky, but that's another subject (Scanner and parser do the
> same). This is the cost of efficiency. And that's why comments are
> necessary.
>
> Anyway, i refactored a bit, cleaned duplications, added comments,
> and added more speed again for LargeInteger using same kind of
> divide and conquer trick as http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6887
> (more in another post)
>
> All my tests are green. Now, i have a problem for publishing in
> mantis. Since the refactoring does interfere with a lot of already
> published patches some harvested, some not, some on the way to be
> harvested, It might create some problems for harvesters (load order
> of Installer mantis ensureFix:).
>
> I like the small change sets for they can be adopted independantly
> in several distributions, but there Monticello might be more
> appropriated.
>
> What do you suggest?

Re: [squeak-dev] SqNumberParser refactoring

stephane ducasse
Of course if you have different concerns split them accordingly.

Stef

On Aug 31, 2008, at 8:25 AM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> create a new entry and funnel all the other ones to the new one.
> Nicolas what would be great is to have one change that group
> everything else this is really difficult to find the right files
> to file in together.
>
> Stef
>
> On Aug 31, 2008, at 4:46 AM, nicolas cellier wrote:
>
>> SqNumberParser speed up has been introduced a little prematurely in
>> 3.10.1 image. I uploaded correction for a detail at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6976
>>
>> Now all the tests parsing gradual underflow Float should pass again
>> (round to the nearest Float as was the case before the speed up).
>>
>> That's quite some time i spent correcting my own bugs with this
>> SqNumberParser!
>> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6976 speed up (harvested in
>> 3.10.1)
>> introduced the bug described above
>> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982 (not harvested)
>> had a typo
>> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=3512 (harvested in 3.9)
>> introduced a bug in ScaledDecimal parsing
>> (see http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7169)
>> - http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6779 (in minor fix unstable
>> 3.10)
>> duplicated this bug in another method
>> so did http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6982
>>
>> Sorry for inconvenience (don't think any user but me bumped into
>> these problems however, given that Number readFrom: is far worse
>> w.r.t. nearest Float, and is still the official Number reader in
>> the image).
>> Sorry for flooding maintainers too (I think the impact is bigger).
>>
>> Looking at my own code i saw code duplications, not enough comment,
>> typos in comments.
>> Some will find that using inst var to save some of the parser state
>> is tricky, but that's another subject (Scanner and parser do the
>> same). This is the cost of efficiency. And that's why comments are
>> necessary.
>>
>> Anyway, i refactored a bit, cleaned duplications, added comments,
>> and added more speed again for LargeInteger using same kind of
>> divide and conquer trick as http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6887
>> (more in another post)
>>
>> All my tests are green. Now, i have a problem for publishing in
>> mantis. Since the refactoring does interfere with a lot of already
>> published patches some harvested, some not, some on the way to be
>> harvested, It might create some problems for harvesters (load order
>> of Installer mantis ensureFix:).
>>
>> I like the small change sets for they can be adopted independantly
>> in several distributions, but there Monticello might be more
>> appropriated.
>>
>> What do you suggest?

Re: [squeak-dev] SqNumberParser refactoring

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 8/31/08 3:25 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> create a new entry and funnel all the other ones to the new one.
> Nicolas what would be great is to have one change that group
> everything else this is really difficult to find the right files
> to file in together.
>
> Stef

That's why in past we have only one person in charge , only a source of
review, discuss and at some point put in the stream.

Installer opens the Pandora Box, I was guilty on adopt it at the beginning
of 3dot10 release.

And I think the policy of having scripts external and in sites which is not
in control of Squeakers is , well, a disaster waiting to happen.

Or maybe Squeak is only for Masters now.

Edgar

[squeak-dev] Re: SqNumberParser refactoring

Nicolas Cellier-3
Edgar J. De Cleene a écrit :

> El 8/31/08 3:25 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> create a new entry and funnel all the other ones to the new one.
>> Nicolas what would be great is to have one change that group
>> everything else this is really difficult to find the right files
>> to file in together.
>>
>> Stef
>

> That's why in past we have only one person in charge , only a source of
> review, discuss and at some point put in the stream.

You are right, some form of inertia is needed to filter
proposed/incoming changes and harvesters have to sharpen and exercize
their criticism hard. This is a difficult job, because some problems are
detected lately only when patches are in use. That's why some kind of
quarantine provided by an Unstable branch is a good idea. It is
complementary to SUnitTests which should be the major tool, but I would
not engage the life of my son on the sole guarantee of SUnitTests
completeness, would you?.

> Installer opens the Pandora Box, I was guilty on adopt it at the beginning
> of 3dot10 release.

You are right on one point, it's too easy to introduce a typo in mantis
Installer hooks or PBWiki unstable branch scripts, making the overall
construction fragile (I made several myself). But that's only the first
stage of harvesting chain.

It seems to me that PBwiki does have some filter at next level, though I
did not understand exactly the process for moving changes from Unstable
to Stable branch.

And PBWiki relaxes a bit the hard job of reviewing/harvesting patches
from mantis, using a more collaborative way.
Installer and PBWiki are just tools for harvesters, like mantis is. They
help working around some of the mantis problems.

> And I think the policy of having scripts external and in sites which is not
> in control of Squeakers is , well, a disaster waiting to happen.

It is still possible to warn then blacklist any undesired person not
adhering the rules, isn't it, so things are (should be) under control.

> Or maybe Squeak is only for Masters now.

I don't understand this.
Concerning harvesting team, age and wisdom are required qualities for at
least one member, and having a master in such team would not hurt, would it?

> Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqNumberParser refactoring

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 8/31/08 11:06 AM, "nicolas cellier" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I don't understand this.
> Concerning harvesting team, age and wisdom are required qualities for at
> least one member, and having a master in such team would not hurt, would it?
I meaning in the past , many who begins with Squeak only need hit the
updates button.

Now , seems people need more.

You and lots of people do a terrific work in Mantis.
Mantis is a tool still all need learn how to use , until some better tool
arise.

> It seems to me that PBwiki does have some filter at next level, though I
> did not understand exactly the process for moving changes from Unstable
> to Stable branch.
>
> And PBWiki relaxes a bit the hard job of reviewing/harvesting patches
> from mantis, using a more collaborative way.
> Installer and PBWiki are just tools for harvesters, like mantis is. They
> help working around some of the mantis problems.

It's not bad do all kinds of experiments, I doing all the time.
When at some point we discover our mistakes, we should recognize and go back
to the right way.

But Squeak is about objects, I believe.
For scripting , many others languages like Perl exist.

Ralph teach me to avoid Doits and all should go to  Classes and Methods.

I made tons of mistakes in 3dot10 !
Take two releases all know Monticello could't manage a complete release.
I very confident in Monticello 2 and maybe some of DeltaStreams could do the
trick.

Sure Test is not a silver bullet, but is some useful.

And we are people , not computers , so at some point we should made hand
work.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqNumberParser refactoring

Igor Stasenko
2008/8/31 Edgar J. De Cleene <[hidden email]>:

> El 8/31/08 11:06 AM, "nicolas cellier" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> I don't understand this.
>> Concerning harvesting team, age and wisdom are required qualities for at
>> least one member, and having a master in such team would not hurt, would it?
> I meaning in the past , many who begins with Squeak only need hit the
> updates button.
>
> Now , seems people need more.
>
> You and lots of people do a terrific work in Mantis.
> Mantis is a tool still all need learn how to use , until some better tool
> arise.

Concerning Mantis. Take a look at Seaside people, who using a
code.google to track issues.
Choosing and migrating to new issue tracker could help , but only if
we will be sure that we will not end up with a tons of reported bugs
which no-one cares to fix and review.

One of idea to make use of Mantis more convenient is to create a bug
fixes hubs and collect all fixes in them, so instead of doing
search/filtering on issues by category, you simply open a report named
'fixes included into Squak X.Y.unstable', where everyone could see a
progress and ask to test/include own fix.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqNumberParser refactoring

keith1y
Dear Nicolas,
> You are right on one point, it's too easy to introduce a typo in
> mantis Installer hooks or PBWiki unstable branch scripts, making the
> overall construction fragile (I made several myself). But that's only
> the first stage of harvesting chain.
Indeed it is only the first step.
> It seems to me that PBwiki does have some filter at next level, though
> I did not understand exactly the process for moving changes from
> Unstable to Stable branch.
>
> And PBWiki relaxes a bit the hard job of reviewing/harvesting patches
> from mantis, using a more collaborative way.
> Installer and PBWiki are just tools for harvesters, like mantis is.
> They help working around some of the mantis problems.
The purpose of putting scripts on installer.pbwiki.com is so that those
scripts can be loaded into 'any' image with the minimum of Installer or
at best LPF loaded. This scenario is intended to enable the user to see
and select what to apply to their own images. Its a place to easily try
out and publish sets of fixes, temporarily, in lieu of a more formal
process which will need more than just Installer/LPF.

This is not the same as the more controlled formal process of building
the next (3.11) release. For details of this more formal process...

If you load into a 3.10 image...

Installer install: 'Tasks'.

You will find classes ReleaseAfterSqueak310 and
ReleaseAfterSqueak310Unstable, the method #taskBugFixes has your bug
fixes, as migrated from the original harvested
installer.pbwiki.com/MinorFixesUnstable-Squeak3:10 page. You can now
contribute your fixes to this package in repository:
http://www.squeaksource.com/Tasks package: Tasks-Squeak3.10"

To build a 3.11u (unstable test candidate) for yourself run the
following command line...

.../vm/squeak /Squeak/pr_next/Squeak3dot10.7159.image
http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st Installer
do="NextUnstableCandidate" SmalltalkImage save=Squeak3.11u2

This will soon be included in our automated build and testing tool
"Bob", but for now you can give it a go. It's not quite there yet since
the script doesnt run to completion as yet but you should get the
general idea. As the script runs, the mantis reports for every fix
loaded are collated and added to the instance side of
ReleaseAfterSqueak310Unstable as documentation.

best regards

Keith

El 8/31/08 12:40 PM, "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Concerning Mantis. Take a look at Seaside people, who using a
code.google to
> track issues.
Choosing and migrating to new issue tracker could help , but
> only if
we will be sure that we will not end up with a tons of reported
> bugs
which no-one cares to fix and review.
+1
> One of idea to make use of Mantis more convenient is to create a bug
fixes
> hubs and collect all fixes in them, so instead of doing
search/filtering on
> issues by category, you simply open a report named
'fixes included into Squak
> X.Y.unstable', where everyone could see a
progress and ask to test/include own
> fix.
+1

El 8/31/08 4:24 PM, "Keith Hodges" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> This is not the same as the more controlled formal process of building
> the next (3.11) release. For details of this more formal process...

I have SLII or Unofficial 3.11 running for months.
At this point I going to next step, build a complete app with this goals:

1) Provide a combination of today yahoo.groups have and we use like

2) Provide a enhanced wiki , like MediaWiki, SLII powered.

3) Provide a superset of today SqueakSource, which lets us have into some
like the directory I have on my computer

SqueakRepository
--Morph
--Sar
--Cs
--St
--Mcz
--Squeaklets
--SqueakBooks

As people like huge ready to run images, soon I put SLII-dev.image on ftp
server.
I have a 20 mb equivalent of 30 mb sq3.10.2-7179web08.08.1 of Damien running
now.
My own have a different tool set , as swiki page tell.

The recent publish of DCI docs by Trygve Reenskaug and Monticello 2 by Colin
Putney could change my current set, once I study his documents and learn
from real Masters.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqNumberParser refactoring

Alejandro F. Reimondo

> The purpose of putting scripts on installer.pbwiki.com is so that those
> scripts can be loaded into 'any' image with the minimum of Installer or
> at best LPF loaded.

The scripting idea is valuable when you want to "run" scripts (to
 produce output data) on a solid+fat+stable defined
 core of functions+components exposed by the scripting
 engine/compiler...
It is not the case for smalltalk systems, where any change can
 be done on the system, during an installation the intent is to
 produce change in the system, and the most valuable attribute
 of the system itself is it´s stability.
 (a very diferent scenario to where use of scripting has
 proven to be good)

>This scenario is intended to enable the user to see
> and select what to apply to their own images.

The real problem here is that "the user" (the owner of the
 system under my pov) must ask/respond without
 seen/understanding what will be injected and also without
 understanding some areas of the system that will be affected
 by the "script" (a script that is written by a person that do not
 know about the system it is been installed).

I consider that it is not enough to "see"/read the package
 intention, if the injection(ingestion?) of changes to the system
 is fast, "the user" will receive also more uncertaninty about
 the stability of the system .
Incremental (and fine grained) incorporation of pieces in a
 guided tour can be more effective; e.g. it is better to make
 incorporations of features as much slow as possible, to let
 the person learn about what is been incorporated and
 act/ask/reflect while understanding what is included.

If we let "smalltalk users" continue incorporating and using
 instant features, the effect is similar to copy&paste
 ("problems" appears when peolpe do not have time to
 think about it).

best,
Ale.

>> You are right on one point, it's too easy to introduce a typo in
>> mantis Installer hooks or PBWiki unstable branch scripts, making the
>> overall construction fragile (I made several myself). But that's only
>> the first stage of harvesting chain.
> Indeed it is only the first step.
>> It seems to me that PBwiki does have some filter at next level, though
>> I did not understand exactly the process for moving changes from
>> Unstable to Stable branch.
>>
>> And PBWiki relaxes a bit the hard job of reviewing/harvesting patches
>> from mantis, using a more collaborative way.
>> Installer and PBWiki are just tools for harvesters, like mantis is.
>> They help working around some of the mantis problems.
> The purpose of putting scripts on installer.pbwiki.com is so that those
> scripts can be loaded into 'any' image with the minimum of Installer or
> at best LPF loaded. This scenario is intended to enable the user to see
> and select what to apply to their own images. Its a place to easily try
> out and publish sets of fixes, temporarily, in lieu of a more formal
> process which will need more than just Installer/LPF.
>
> This is not the same as the more controlled formal process of building
> the next (3.11) release. For details of this more formal process...
>
> If you load into a 3.10 image...
>
> Installer install: 'Tasks'.
>
> You will find classes ReleaseAfterSqueak310 and
> ReleaseAfterSqueak310Unstable, the method #taskBugFixes has your bug
> fixes, as migrated from the original harvested
> installer.pbwiki.com/MinorFixesUnstable-Squeak3:10 page. You can now
> contribute your fixes to this package in repository:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Tasks package: Tasks-Squeak3.10"
>
> To build a 3.11u (unstable test candidate) for yourself run the
> following command line...
>
> .../vm/squeak /Squeak/pr_next/Squeak3dot10.7159.image
> http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/LPF.st Installer
> do="NextUnstableCandidate" SmalltalkImage save=Squeak3.11u2
>
> This will soon be included in our automated build and testing tool
> "Bob", but for now you can give it a go. It's not quite there yet since
> the script doesnt run to completion as yet but you should get the
> general idea. As the script runs, the mantis reports for every fix
> loaded are collated and added to the instance side of
> ReleaseAfterSqueak310Unstable as documentation.
>
> best regards
>
> Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqNumberParser refactoring

garduino
2008/8/31 Alejandro F. Reimondo <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
>> The purpose of putting scripts on installer.pbwiki.com is so that those
>> scripts can be loaded into 'any' image with the minimum of Installer or
>> at best LPF loaded.
>
> The scripting idea is valuable when you want to "run" scripts (to
> produce output data) on a solid+fat+stable defined
> core of functions+components exposed by the scripting
> engine/compiler...
> It is not the case for smalltalk systems, where any change can
> be done on the system, during an installation the intent is to
> produce change in the system, and the most valuable attribute
> of the system itself is it´s stability.
> (a very diferent scenario to where use of scripting has
> proven to be good)
>
>> This scenario is intended to enable the user to see
>> and select what to apply to their own images.
>
> The real problem here is that "the user" (the owner of the
> system under my pov) must ask/respond without
> seen/understanding what will be injected and also without
> understanding some areas of the system that will be affected
> by the "script" (a script that is written by a person that do not
> know about the system it is been installed).

+1

> I consider that it is not enough to "see"/read the package
> intention, if the injection(ingestion?) of changes to the system
> is fast, "the user" will receive also more uncertaninty about
> the stability of the system .
> Incremental (and fine grained) incorporation of pieces in a
> guided tour can be more effective; e.g. it is better to make
> incorporations of features as much slow as possible, to let
> the person learn about what is been incorporated and
> act/ask/reflect while understanding what is included.

Full, full agree. I think that the chaotic state of Squeak of our days
isn't good to nothing. Not ever going faster is the best option. And
other thing I'm asking in the last times, how many good things of
Squeak we are lossed? (See my mail about Movies stuff).

> If we let "smalltalk users" continue incorporating and using
> instant features, the effect is similar to copy&paste
> ("problems" appears when peolpe do not have time to
> think about it).

Sure.

> best,
> Ale.

Cheers.
Germán.

2008/9/1 Alejandro F. Reimondo <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
>> The purpose of putting scripts on installer.pbwiki.com is so that those
>> scripts can be loaded into 'any' image with the minimum of Installer or
>> at best LPF loaded.
>
> The scripting idea is valuable when you want to "run" scripts (to
> produce output data) on a solid+fat+stable defined
> core of functions+components exposed by the scripting
> engine/compiler...
> It is not the case for smalltalk systems, where any change can
> be done on the system, during an installation the intent is to
> produce change in the system, and the most valuable attribute
> of the system itself is it´s stability.
> (a very diferent scenario to where use of scripting has
> proven to be good)
>
>> This scenario is intended to enable the user to see
>> and select what to apply to their own images.
>
> The real problem here is that "the user" (the owner of the
> system under my pov) must ask/respond without
> seen/understanding what will be injected and also without
> understanding some areas of the system that will be affected
> by the "script" (a script that is written by a person that do not
> know about the system it is been installed).
>
> I consider that it is not enough to "see"/read the package
> intention, if the injection(ingestion?) of changes to the system
> is fast, "the user" will receive also more uncertaninty about
> the stability of the system .
> Incremental (and fine grained) incorporation of pieces in a
> guided tour can be more effective; e.g. it is better to make
> incorporations of features as much slow as possible, to let
> the person learn about what is been incorporated and
> act/ask/reflect while understanding what is included.
>
> If we let "smalltalk users" continue incorporating and using
> instant features, the effect is similar to copy&paste
> ("problems" appears when peolpe do not have time to
> think about it).

Sure, a mistake made by "smalltalk user" can lead to problems, which:
a) easy to reproduce , since scripts is provided
b) easy to fix , because of a)
c) easy to distribute fix, by fixing a script

and compare this to a mistake, done by a "master" who did something
which only he can understand, and which only he could fix, and as its
often happens, have no time/will/money to spend fixing the problem he
once introduced.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.