[squeak-dev] Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

[squeak-dev] Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

Matthias Berth-2
Hello,

can anyone tell me were to find the earliest available 3.9 alpha image?

I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
many of them opened.

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359

I am using the benchmark from Andreas. So far I see the problem in the
current squeak-dev 3.9.1, Squeak3.9b-7029.image. Browser speed is OK
in Squeak3.8-6665.image (Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip).

Cheers

Matthias

PS: Benchmark results on my machine:
"Run this several times, do not close browser windows."
win := Browser openBrowser topView.
win extent: 600@350.
br := win model.
br setClassOrganizer.
br systemCategoryListIndex: 2.
World doOneCycle.

Transcript cr; show: [1 to: 10 do:[:i|
       br classListIndex: i.
       World doOneCycle.
 ]] timeToRun.

sq3.9.1-7075dev08.04.1.image
1880
1591
1420
1860
2550
3341
3262
3821
4396
4802

Squeak3.9-final-7067.image  07-Nov-2006 11:07
1001
1410
1842
2353
2794
3273
3809
4440

Squeak3.9b-7029.image  04-May-2006 20:54
1161
1793
2421
3063
3565
4004
4556
4987

Squeak3.8-6665.image Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip   15-Jun-2005
942
918
930
945
975
985
1040
1076

[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

Sophie424
"Matthias Berth" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
> many of them opened.

thank you!

[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

Nicolas Cellier-3
Even a simple

        MessageTally spyOn: [Transcript cr; show:'hello'].

exhibits a factor 2x slowdown between 3.8 and 3.10

Nicolas

nice wrote:
> Even a simple
>
>     MessageTally spyOn: [Transcript cr; show:'hello'].
>
> exhibits a factor 2x slowdown between 3.8 and 3.10
>
> Nicolas

And the main difference lies in the drawing of the container, not the
contents as you can test it:

Smalltalk garbageCollect.
theTranscriptWindow := SystemWindow allInstances detect: [:e | e label =
'Transcript']. "(I know, bad code, but cannot remember correct API)"

Time millisecondsToRun: [theTranscriptWindow drawDropShadowOn: World
canvas].
        => 4 36
Time millisecondsToRun: [World canvas drawMorph: theTranscriptWindow ].
        => 4 21
Time millisecondsToRun: [theTranscriptWindow drawSubmorphsOn: World canvas].
        => 18 11

Scores are given in 3.8 and 3.9/3.10 (where they are dependent on
theTranscriptWindow bounds extent).
Notice the transparency and background gradient in 3.9/3.10...

Don't know how this connects to number of opened Browsers seriously
impacting speed, but maybe that's a clue...

Nicolas

> Matthias Berth wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> can anyone tell me were to find the earliest available 3.9 alpha image?
>>
>> I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
>> many of them opened.
>>

>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359
>>
>> I am using the benchmark from Andreas. So far I see the problem in the
>> current squeak-dev 3.9.1, Squeak3.9b-7029.image. Browser speed is OK
>> in Squeak3.8-6665.image (Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip).
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Matthias

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

Matthias Berth-2
I've found Squeak3.9a-6678.zip on
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.9alpha :)

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:51 PM, nice <[hidden email]> wrote:

> nice wrote:
>
> > Even a simple
> >
> >    MessageTally spyOn: [Transcript cr; show:'hello'].
> >
> > exhibits a factor 2x slowdown between 3.8 and 3.10
> >
> > Nicolas
> >

>  And the main difference lies in the drawing of the container, not the
> contents as you can test it:
>
>  Smalltalk garbageCollect.
>  theTranscriptWindow := SystemWindow allInstances detect: [:e | e label =
> 'Transcript']. "(I know, bad code, but cannot remember correct API)"
>
>  Time millisecondsToRun: [theTranscriptWindow drawDropShadowOn: World
> canvas].
>         => 4 36
>  Time millisecondsToRun: [World canvas drawMorph: theTranscriptWindow ].
>         => 4 21
>  Time millisecondsToRun: [theTranscriptWindow drawSubmorphsOn: World
> canvas].
>         => 18 11
>
>  Scores are given in 3.8 and 3.9/3.10 (where they are dependent on
> theTranscriptWindow bounds extent).
>  Notice the transparency and background gradient in 3.9/3.10...
>
>  Don't know how this connects to number of opened Browsers seriously
> impacting speed, but maybe that's a clue...
>

>  Nicolas
>

> > Matthias Berth wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >

> > > can anyone tell me were to find the earliest available 3.9 alpha image?
> > >
> > > I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
> > > many of them opened.
> > >

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359
> > >
> > > I am using the benchmark from Andreas. So far I see the problem in the
> > > current squeak-dev 3.9.1, Squeak3.9b-7029.image. Browser speed is OK
> > > in Squeak3.8-6665.image (Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip).
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Matthias

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

Karl-19
Matthias Berth wrote:
> Hello,
>

> can anyone tell me were to find the earliest available 3.9 alpha image?
>
> I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
> many of them opened.

Much of the slowdown is the pane resize handles from the look
enhancement. There is arguably a bug in Morph>>privateAddMorph: that
sometime adds submorphs to the top left corner of the screen instead of
to the
top left corner of the owner morph. This causes massive screen redraws.
Also the adding of the pane resizes causes
whole window redraws more frequently than before they were added.

Karl

>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general/108359
>
> I am using the benchmark from Andreas. So far I see the problem in the
> current squeak-dev 3.9.1, Squeak3.9b-7029.image. Browser speed is OK
> in Squeak3.8-6665.image (Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip).
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthias
>
> PS: Benchmark results on my machine:
> "Run this several times, do not close browser windows."
> win := Browser openBrowser topView.
> win extent: 600@350.
> br := win model.
> br setClassOrganizer.
> br systemCategoryListIndex: 2.
> World doOneCycle.
>
> Transcript cr; show: [1 to: 10 do:[:i|
>        br classListIndex: i.
>        World doOneCycle.
>  ]] timeToRun.
>

> sq3.9.1-7075dev08.04.1.image
> 1880
> 1591
> 1420
> 1860
> 2550
> 3341
> 3262
> 3821
> 4396
> 4802
>
> Squeak3.9-final-7067.image  07-Nov-2006 11:07
> 1001
> 1410
> 1842
> 2353
> 2794
> 3273
> 3809
> 4440
>
> Squeak3.9b-7029.image  04-May-2006 20:54
> 1161
> 1793
> 2421
> 3063
> 3565
> 4004
> 4556
> 4987
>

> Squeak3.8-6665.image Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip   15-Jun-2005
> 942
> 918
> 930
> 945
> 975
> 985
> 1040
> 1076

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Squeak 3.9 alpha image wanted

Tapple Gao
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 09:04:52PM +0200, Matthias Berth wrote:
> I've found Squeak3.9a-6678.zip on
> ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.9alpha :)

Thank you for finding that.

karl wrote:

> Matthias Berth wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> can anyone tell me were to find the earliest available 3.9 alpha image?
>>
>> I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
>> many of them opened.
>>

> Much of the slowdown is the pane resize handles from the look
> enhancement. There is arguably a bug in Morph>>privateAddMorph: that
> sometime adds submorphs to the top left corner of the screen instead of
> to the
> top left corner of the owner morph. This causes massive screen redraws.
> Also the adding of the pane resizes causes
> whole window redraws more frequently than before they were added.
>
> Karl

Thanks, that's helpfull.
This can be visualized with Preferences / debug / debugShowDamage

Nicolas

karl wrote:

> Matthias Berth wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> can anyone tell me were to find the earliest available 3.9 alpha image?
>>
>> I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
>> many of them opened.
>>

> Much of the slowdown is the pane resize handles from the look
> enhancement. There is arguably a bug in Morph>>privateAddMorph: that
> sometime adds submorphs to the top left corner of the screen instead of
> to the
> top left corner of the owner morph. This causes massive screen redraws.
> Also the adding of the pane resizes causes
> whole window redraws more frequently than before they were added.
>
> Karl

But does that explain that Browser get redrawed even if obscured?
Change the script a little to set the position near top left rather than
the extent:

        win position: 10@10.
br := win model.
br setClassOrganizer.
br systemCategoryListIndex: 2.
World doOneCycle.

Transcript cr; show: [1 to: 10 do:[:i|
        br classListIndex: i.
        World doOneCycle.
  ]] timeToRun.

very linear in 3.10:
1611
2459
3288
4122
4976
5820

slower downgrading in 3.8:
1258
1308
1367
1427
1483
1552
1627

Nicolas

nice wrote:

> karl wrote:
>> Matthias Berth wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> can anyone tell me were to find the earliest available 3.9 alpha image?
>>>
>>> I want to identify the cause of the slowdown of browsers when you have
>>> many of them opened.
>>>

>> Much of the slowdown is the pane resize handles from the look
>> enhancement. There is arguably a bug in Morph>>privateAddMorph: that
>> sometime adds submorphs to the top left corner of the screen instead
>> of to the
>> top left corner of the owner morph. This causes massive screen
>> redraws. Also the adding of the pane resizes causes
>> whole window redraws more frequently than before they were added.
>>
>> Karl
>
> But does that explain that Browser get redrawed even if obscured?
> Change the script a little to set the position near top left rather
> than the extent:
>
> win := Browser openBrowser topView.
>     "win extent: 600@350."
>     win position: 10@10.
> br := win model.
> br setClassOrganizer.
> br systemCategoryListIndex: 2.
> World doOneCycle.
>
> Transcript cr; show: [1 to: 10 do:[:i|
>        br classListIndex: i.
>        World doOneCycle.
>  ]] timeToRun.
>

> very linear in 3.10:
> 1611
> 2459
> 3288
> 4122
> 4976
> 5820
>
> slower downgrading in 3.8:
> 1258
> 1308
> 1367
> 1427
> 1483
> 1552
> 1627
>
> Nicolas

Here is a workaround to I made a while back. I'm not sure how much
speedup you will get.

Karl

BorderedMorph.kfr.2.cs.gz (1K) Download Attachment