[squeak-dev] Squeak Forums (was: Our website in other languages too? (and forums?))

[squeak-dev] Squeak Forums (was: Our website in other languages too? (and forums?))

Giuseppe
Hi Janko, list..

On Mon, 26 May 2008 12:38:27 +0200
Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It could be that someone is more fan of forums like PhPBB while others
> are more used of pure mailing lists. With a right mail client you can
> organize your mails quite close to the forum like. Also in terms of
> priority I think the multilingual website is more important right now.

Yes, probably multilingual website is more important, but, an official Squeak Forum, can give  us a site, where all the community, in all the languages, are there. You don't need to subscribe to Squeak-Dev, Squeak-Announce, SqueakRos, v3dot10, Squeak-Beginners, Squeak-UI, and so on.

Probably, for much people, is better maillist. But Maillist is not more comfortable. You can put rules to a mail client and move the mails to folders. And configure again to read in other computer. I do this, but a web interface to read, reply, comment, and post, is more easy IMHO.

In maillist is harder to find something, or reply to more than one person. This without taking in count the digest. Reply to more than one mail with digest turned on is something like inferno.

Other advantage is for newbies. Newbies every day is more younger, and youngers, is more familiarized with forums rather than maillists. And, the use of a maillist could be a disadvantage for somebody new searching for support.

> But you have quite active Squeak in Spanish mailing list:
> http://www.nabble.com/Squeak-in-Spanish-f14188.html ?

I know I'm active, but this lists, is not official on SqueakFoundation. This, could be sound  stupid, but, not all people will search on Yahoo Groups for a spanish "official" community for Squeak.

As I said, this is only my opinion. I use it forums in other communities, and, really, is more easy and comfortable for the day by day.

--
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi <[hidden email]>
<http://www.lordzealon.com>

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Forums

Randal L. Schwartz

Giuseppe> Other advantage is for newbies. Newbies every day is more younger,
Giuseppe> and youngers, is more familiarized with forums rather than
Giuseppe> maillists. And, the use of a maillist could be a disadvantage for
Giuseppe> somebody new searching for support.

I've been in discussion with various parties about the possibility
of a "Perlmonks"-type site for Squeak, or perhaps Smalltalk in general.

As much fun as you might make of the whole idea of "experience points" given
for voting on good answers, and on being the one to post good answers, it has
resulted in a website where you have a few dozen people checking the site
minute-by-minute, wanting to be that first correct answer so that they get
voted on by the other people to raise their status.  Yes, it's meaningless,
but it has become a powerful tool in the Perl community.  It turns most
people's natural competition into contribution for all.

It would probably be under few man-months of effort to roll out a basic
Smalltalkmonk site using Seaside and perhaps GemStone/S to back it.

Yes, I personally prefer email, although I prefer email backed by NNTP so that
I can automatically have a back-catalog of postings.  (Thank you,
lists.perl.org for being a central hub!)  But a well-designed web forum with
perlmonks-style voting might be an interesting "watering hole" to get
Google-ranked Smalltalk info out there in the modern world.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Forums

keith1y

> Yes, I personally prefer email, although I prefer email backed by NNTP so that
> I can automatically have a back-catalog of postings.  (Thank you,

I was very impressed by the dovecot mailing list which is (as you might
expect) running on an imap server, giving you the best of local/remote
worlds.

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Forums

Jason Johnson-5
On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Randal L. Schwartz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been in discussion with various parties about the possibility
> of a "Perlmonks"-type site for Squeak, or perhaps Smalltalk in general.
>
> As much fun as you might make of the whole idea of "experience points" given
> for voting on good answers, and on being the one to post good answers, it has
> resulted in a website where you have a few dozen people checking the site
> minute-by-minute, wanting to be that first correct answer so that they get
> voted on by the other people to raise their status.  Yes, it's meaningless,
> but it has become a powerful tool in the Perl community.  It turns most
> people's natural competition into contribution for all.
>
> It would probably be under few man-months of effort to roll out a basic
> Smalltalkmonk site using Seaside and perhaps GemStone/S to back it.
>
> Yes, I personally prefer email, although I prefer email backed by NNTP so that
> I can automatically have a back-catalog of postings.  (Thank you,
> lists.perl.org for being a central hub!)  But a well-designed web forum with
> perlmonks-style voting might be an interesting "watering hole" to get
> Google-ranked Smalltalk info out there in the modern world.

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

I like the monk idea.  A good way to let people realize we are a
modern comunity is to look like it with those kind of forums.