[squeak-dev] StartUpList and ShutDownList

[squeak-dev] StartUpList and ShutDownList

Mark Volkmann
Looking at the code in SystemDictionary, it seems that StartUpList and
ShutDownList should be classes, but when I do a "find class..." it
doesn't find them. Where are those and how can I find out what's in
them?

---
Mark Volkmann

Re: [squeak-dev] StartUpList and ShutDownList

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Mark Volkmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking at the code in SystemDictionary, it seems that StartUpList and ShutDownList should be classes, but when I do a "find class..." it doesn't find them. Where are those and how can I find out what's in them?

They're "class pool variables", which are a sort of global variables. Look at the definition of SystemDictionary:

 IdentityDictionary subclass: #SystemDictionary
    instanceVariableNames: 'cachedClassNames'
    classVariableNames: 'LastImageName LastQuitLogPosition LowSpaceProcess LowSpaceSemaphore MemoryHogs ShutDownList SpecialSelectors StartUpList StartupStamp SystemChanges'
    poolDictionaries: ''
    category: 'System-Support'

To see how they're used, click on the "Class variables" button in the browser and select them. The most interesting use is in "SystemDictionary class initialize".

To actually inspect their values, open up an object explorer on "SystemDictionary" and navigate to "classPool".

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] StartUpList and ShutDownList

Rob Rothwell
If you look at Class SystemDictionary>>initialize, you will see that StartUpList is a class variable containing an OrderedCollection.  You can see it's contents with:

SystemDictionary classPool at: #StartUpList, which I believe contains Classes whose class-side startUp methods (or whatever it's called) should be invoked on startUp.

Shutdown is similar.

Rob