[squeak-dev] Stuck again

laza
Somehow I'm stuck here. The latest vm that can handle a trunk image
won't run on my linux notebook and on the WindowXP notebook I get a
strange behavior. Although the image, changes and sources files are in
place, the vm keeps telling me, that it can't find the image file?! Is
it because I "only" have an admin account on that machine? All
permissions seem to be right.

Regards,
  Alex

[squeak-dev] Re: Stuck again

Andreas.Raab
Alexander Lazarevic' wrote:
> Somehow I'm stuck here. The latest vm that can handle a trunk image
> won't run on my linux notebook and on the WindowXP notebook I get a
> strange behavior. Although the image, changes and sources files are in
> place, the vm keeps telling me, that it can't find the image file?! Is
> it because I "only" have an admin account on that machine? All
> permissions seem to be right.

On Windows, you get this behavior if you have an old VM associated with
the .image extension and then double-click the image. Make sure you have
the 3.11.3 Windows VM and that you drag and drop the image onto that VM.
As for the UUID problem, this seems to be a known issue on some Linux
variants. I recommend removing the UUIDPlugin library if you can (I
don't know if it's built internal or external) and if you can't, comment
out the UUID>>primMakeUUID primitive.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Stuck again

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:15:12PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Alexander Lazarevic' wrote:
> >Somehow I'm stuck here. The latest vm that can handle a trunk image
> >won't run on my linux notebook and on the WindowXP notebook I get a
> >strange behavior. Although the image, changes and sources files are in
> >place, the vm keeps telling me, that it can't find the image file?! Is
> >it because I "only" have an admin account on that machine? All
> >permissions seem to be right.
>
> On Windows, you get this behavior if you have an old VM associated with
> the .image extension and then double-click the image. Make sure you have
> the 3.11.3 Windows VM and that you drag and drop the image onto that VM.
> As for the UUID problem, this seems to be a known issue on some Linux
> variants. I recommend removing the UUIDPlugin library if you can (I
> don't know if it's built internal or external) and if you can't, comment
> out the UUID>>primMakeUUID primitive.

Yes, the UUIDPlugin is built as an external plugin, so deleting
the plugin (i.e. remove file /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-6/UUIDPlugin)
is a workaround. It would be good if someone can think of a less
awkward workaround; perhaps it's possible to static link to a known
good version of libuuid?

Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Stuck again

laza
I installed Squeak for the first time on that machine, like on many
other WindowsXP machines, even in far more restricted environments,
and never had this kind of problem before. Direct Drag&Drop does not
help. On Drag&Drop the Windows FileChooser pops up, but not on the
directory the dropped image lives in, but on the last directory that
was chosen with this Dialog?! Selecting an image with it results in
the same error message...
Anyway I can play with the trunk image using the linux machine now
(once I get the updates via the flaky campground wifi :} ).

Regards,
 Alex