[squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Randal L. Schwartz

The Squeak Leadership Team concluded in this week's meeting that we should be
moving forward on choosing the next technology for the core Squeak websites,
such as www.squeak.org.  I've been selected to put out a call for any
last-minute comments on the two proposals that have been offerred so far, or
soliciting any further proposals.

I won't repeat the comments already offered.  You can review the webteam
mailing list history for the past few months at places like
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/webteam/, particularly the
messages in March, April, and July.

Following the end of the comment period, the Leadership Team will evaluate the
proposals and comments, and select the path forward, and invite the
participants to begin and manage the migration work.

Please submit your comments to squeak-dev and/or webteam before
30 July 2008.  That will give us a week to absorb the info before our
next team meeting.

Thank you.

Randal, speaking on behalf of the leadership team.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Brad Fuller-4
When I read this, I thought to myself "what?" The board is going to
decide? Hmmm...

I'm on the website team, and I don't even think we should decide
either! My suggestion is that we should put it up to everyone here on
the list, just like everything else. If you're not interested, that's
ok.  If there is some disagreement, great! If there is a tie, then
maybe the board should break it. But I, for one, would like the
community to decide after discussion.

that's my take,

brad

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com

Re: [squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

timrowledge

On 17-Jul-08, at 5:02 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> When I read this, I thought to myself "what?" The board is going to
> decide? Hmmm...
>
> I'm on the website team, and I don't even think we should decide
> either! My suggestion is that we should put it up to everyone here on
> the list, just like everything else. If you're not interested, that's
> ok.  If there is some disagreement, great! If there is a tie, then
> maybe the board should break it. But I, for one, would like the
> community to decide after discussion.

Umm, y'don't think that perhaps asking for discussion and comments
sorta kinda adds up to pretty much that? Combined with, let's see, a
bit of "we elected you bums to sort this stuff out on our behalf" ?

tim
Implementation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Re: [squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Randal L. Schwartz

Brad> When I read this, I thought to myself "what?" The board is going to
Brad> decide? Hmmm...

Brad> I'm on the website team, and I don't even think we should decide
Brad> either! My suggestion is that we should put it up to everyone here on
Brad> the list, just like everything else. If you're not interested, that's
Brad> ok.  If there is some disagreement, great! If there is a tie, then
Brad> maybe the board should break it. But I, for one, would like the
Brad> community to decide after discussion.

OK, the discussion has been ongoing for four months.  Nothing came of it,
except for another recent burst of activity that looked like a step in the
right direction, and then died again.

We noticed the absence of closure in this week's meeting.  Thus it *is* time
to "call for the vote".  That's what's happening now, but with one final
comment period to make sure we take a proper pulse of today's community.

Really, I would rather that it simply "have happened".  But I'm happy to have
the board step in and say "ok, let's do *something*".

Also, keep in mind that the board *is* ultimately elected to be the
representatives of the community, so if the board asks the webteam to choose
solution A instead of B, it's ultimately the "community's choice".

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

[squeak-dev] Re: Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Andreas.Raab
tim Rowledge wrote:
> Umm, y'don't think that perhaps asking for discussion and comments sorta
> kinda adds up to pretty much that? Combined with, let's see, a bit of
> "we elected you bums to sort this stuff out on our behalf" ?

+1. Absolutely. In particular the part about you bums ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

[squeak-dev] Re: Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Klaus D. Witzel
Hi Randal,

on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:45:09 +0200, you wrote:

> The Squeak Leadership Team concluded in this week's meeting that we
> should be
> moving forward on choosing the next technology for the core Squeak
> websites,
> such as www.squeak.org.  I've been selected to put out a call for any
> last-minute comments on the two proposals that have been offerred so
> far, or
> soliciting any further proposals.

Really two proposals?

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-March/126558.html

Must have missed something [pun intended :-]

And, how about putting up some money for paying the pro's for migration;
I'm ready for a donation for that and, AFAICS the Squeak.org organization
has a full bank account.

And a similiar offer was mentioned (err, encrypted ;) by Andreas in
response to abovementioned message.

/Klaus

> I won't repeat the comments already offered.  You can review the webteam
> mailing list history for the past few months at places like
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/webteam/, particularly the
> messages in March, April, and July.
>
> Following the end of the comment period, the Leadership Team will
> evaluate the
> proposals and comments, and select the path forward, and invite the
> participants to begin and manage the migration work.
>
> Please submit your comments to squeak-dev and/or webteam before
> 30 July 2008.  That will give us a week to absorb the info before our
> next team meeting.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Randal, speaking on behalf of the leadership team.

Re: [squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Janko Mivšek
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Brad> When I read this, I thought to myself "what?" The board is going to
> Brad> decide? Hmmm...
>
> Brad> I'm on the website team, and I don't even think we should decide
> Brad> either! My suggestion is that we should put it up to everyone here on
> Brad> the list, just like everything else. If you're not interested, that's
> Brad> ok.  If there is some disagreement, great! If there is a tie, then
> Brad> maybe the board should break it. But I, for one, would like the
> Brad> community to decide after discussion.

> OK, the discussion has been ongoing for four months.  Nothing came of it,
> except for another recent burst of activity that looked like a step in the
> right direction, and then died again.

Speaking as webteam leader: this is not true, I set the end of July of a
date for proposals to be prepared and decision to be made. You just
repeated the same date and the same goal. Also, there is not yet end of
month and activities are indeed on the way.

And I agree with Brad's comments, our and the Leadership first
conclusion was that webteam decides first, then propose it to the
community, while Leadership step up only if agreement wouldn't be reached.

But on the other side a bit push from the Leadership never hurt :)

Best regards
Janko Mivšek

> We noticed the absence of closure in this week's meeting.  Thus it *is* time
> to "call for the vote".  That's what's happening now, but with one final
> comment period to make sure we take a proper pulse of today's community.
>
> Really, I would rather that it simply "have happened".  But I'm happy to have
> the board step in and say "ok, let's do *something*".
>
> Also, keep in mind that the board *is* ultimately elected to be the
> representatives of the community, so if the board asks the webteam to choose
> solution A instead of B, it's ultimately the "community's choice".

Re: [squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 7/17/08 8:45 PM, "Randal L. Schwartz" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>  I've been selected to put out a call for any
> last-minute comments on the two proposals that have been offerred

I wish you take five minutes and repeat the "two proposals"

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Igor Stasenko
2008/7/18 Klaus D. Witzel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Randal,
>
> on Fri, 18 Jul 2008 01:45:09 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> The Squeak Leadership Team concluded in this week's meeting that we should
>> be
>> moving forward on choosing the next technology for the core Squeak
>> websites,
>> such as www.squeak.org.  I've been selected to put out a call for any
>> last-minute comments on the two proposals that have been offerred so far,
>> or
>> soliciting any further proposals.
>
> Really two proposals?
>
> -
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-March/126558.html
>
> Must have missed something [pun intended :-]

Hmm, interesting, why/how i missed that proposal.
Yes, CMSBox is really cool thing, but its not free one.
Also i didn't seen much discussion about it or advocation. Looks like
this gem has slept community hands (or just mine?).
And there is no English version of site..

> And, how about putting up some money for paying the pro's for migration; I'm
> ready for a donation for that and, AFAICS the Squeak.org organization has a
> full bank account.
>
> And a similiar offer was mentioned (err, encrypted ;) by Andreas in response
> to abovementioned message.
>
> /Klaus
>
>> I won't repeat the comments already offered.  You can review the webteam
>> mailing list history for the past few months at places like
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/webteam/, particularly the
>> messages in March, April, and July.
>>
>> Following the end of the comment period, the Leadership Team will evaluate
>> the
>> proposals and comments, and select the path forward, and invite the
>> participants to begin and manage the migration work.
>>
>> Please submit your comments to squeak-dev and/or webteam before
>> 30 July 2008.  That will give us a week to absorb the info before our
>> next team meeting.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Randal, speaking on behalf of the leadership team.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Technology choice for the next generation of www.squeak.org and friends

Ken Causey-3
It seems to me that the exact technology used to implement a website is
primarily important to those who have to work with it and maintain it on
a daily basis.

On the Scribo/Aida side we have the Website Team leader, Janko Mivsek,
who created Aida and Scribo and has already demonstrated interest in
actively working on the website; I believe Nicolas Petton who has worked
with Aida in the past has also expressed willingness to work on the
website team.

Is there anyone who actively prefers Seaside for www.squeak.org
interested in dedicating at least a few hours each week for the next few
years?

Ken