[squeak-dev] The SOM Family

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

apologies for cross-posting ...

At ESUG, I gave a short presentation on the SOM family of virtual
machine implementations (in Java, C, C++, and Squeak), and also said
that the VMs were not yet available.

Well, *that* has changed now. They're available. They're MIT licensed.
They're fun. They're there for youse to use. ;-)

I have one request: if you use them, please let me know. I'm curious
in what scenarios they're deployed. Also, please let me know about any
problems, suggestions for improvement, and such.

Oh, ere I forget: http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/projects/som :-)

Best,

Michael

[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] The SOM Family

Igor Stasenko
2009/9/17 Michael Haupt <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> apologies for cross-posting ...
>
> At ESUG, I gave a short presentation on the SOM family of virtual
> machine implementations (in Java, C, C++, and Squeak), and also said
> that the VMs were not yet available.
>
> Well, *that* has changed now. They're available. They're MIT licensed.
> They're fun. They're there for youse to use. ;-)
>
> I have one request: if you use them, please let me know. I'm curious
> in what scenarios they're deployed. Also, please let me know about any
> problems, suggestions for improvement, and such.

Thanks Michael.
I will definitely take a look at it.
My "deployment" scenario is to look at design and what decisions were
made to solve certain problems, like object format, interpreter,
simulation logic
and implementation transparency which allows to easily translate the
VM code written in smalltalk
into low-level language, like C or C++.

> Oh, ere I forget: http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/swa/projects/som :-)
>
> Best,