[squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

[squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Katerina Barone-Adesi
There has been a lot of excellent work done on Unicode in Squeak.
Unfortunately, not all of it works 'out of the box'.

I've started working on trying to figure out how to enable the basic
operations (input, display, and copy/paste) for several languages.
With the kind help of several Russian squeakers, I've managed to
create relatively simple instructions on how to do so for Russian,
which I've posted here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5773 ; I've
personally tested the 3.10 instructions under Linux.  However, getting
to this point involved days of experimentation, including quite a lot
of image hangs.  The reason I created the documentation was that,
despite reading everything on squeak.org and the mailing list archives
about Russian and Cyrillic support, I still couldn't get it working -
it took combining the instructions of two people who had had similar
experiences, and the patches of two others, to have everything work,
although there are some problems with garbage characters with
copy/paste sometimes.

A side effect of these instructions is that various accented European
characters (such as à, å, ò, ö, ĵ, ñ, ç, č, ć, š, đ, etc - everything
I've tried) work.  This cursory testing suggests that
Italian/French/German/Spanish/Swedish/Esperanto/Slovenian/etc
operations also work after following the Russian instructions; they do
not work by default.  Perhaps more interestingly, Thai and Greek also
work; Arabic nearly does, but only displays in its 'general Unicode'
form (rather than correctly changing what appears based on the
position of each letter in the word: see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_alphabet for a better
description).

I'm now going through the same process for Japanese.  Installing
'Japanese Environment Installer' (JEI) from SqueakMap only gave me a
working display of Japanese characters, without working input or
copy/paste.  Possibly interestingly, direct input while using a
Japanese keymap (with no input method) to type kana works with the
Russian patches, but not with the JEI patches.

Nothing using extra input method software works anywhere in Squeak in
any configuration I've tried.  Deadkeys also don't work.

I would like to request help from all Squeakers who can input,
display, and copy/paste text in languages which have characters or
writing systems that don't appear in the languages mentioned above,
and especially of those who have everything working with Japanese.
Any instructions on how you did it would be greatly appreciated.  I
intend to keep documenting the simplest ways to currently set things
up, which will hopefully have the side effect of making a baseline set
of patches to have things Just Work become clear.  Any reports of
errata in the documentation, platform differences, or bugs are also
extremely welcome.

Thank you;
Katerina Barone-Adesi

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Bert Freudenberg

Am 03.09.2008 um 22:44 schrieb Katerina Barone-Adesi:

> [...]
> Japanese keymap (with no input method) to type kana works with the
> Russian patches, but not with the JEI patches.
>
> Nothing using extra input method software works anywhere in Squeak in
> any configuration I've tried.  Deadkeys also don't work.
>
> I would like to request help from all Squeakers who can input,
> display, and copy/paste text in languages which have characters or
> writing systems that don't appear in the languages mentioned above,
> and especially of those who have everything working with Japanese.
> Any instructions on how you did it would be greatly appreciated.  I
> intend to keep documenting the simplest ways to currently set things
> up, which will hopefully have the side effect of making a baseline set
> of patches to have things Just Work become clear.  Any reports of
> errata in the documentation, platform differences, or bugs are also

We fixed many of these shortcomings in the OLPC Linux VM and image.
Keyboard input works with dead keys, compose keys, and XIM. Clipboard
works with unicode, formatted/rich text and images (this builds on the
Sophie guys' work). There is rendering of various text scripts via
Pango, including e.g. Devanagari with correct glyph shaping (Nepal is
one of the pilot countries).

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Katerina Barone-Adesi
> We fixed many of these shortcomings in the OLPC Linux VM and image. Keyboard
> input works with dead keys, compose keys, and XIM. Clipboard works with
> unicode, formatted/rich text and images (this builds on the Sophie guys'
> work). There is rendering of various text scripts via Pango, including e.g.
> Devanagari with correct glyph shaping (Nepal is one of the pilot countries).

I've tried the OLPC Squeak image, using the instructions at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys#Method_1_.28Easiest.29_-_Use_Squeakland_installation_and_the_OLPC_image
and the link to what it says is the newest image:
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip .  The results were
mixed.

Successes:
- Accented Latin characters work immediately.
- Japanese support partially works: switching to Japanese, fonts are
successfully loaded, and Japanese is displayed.

Problems:
- Deadkeys don't work.
- Anthy + SKIM didn't work.
- typing kana by using a Japanese keymap shows up as '?', even when
etoys is showing up properly in Japanese.

- Missing fonts and broken 'choose language' support:
--typing Arabic only shows '?', and selecting Arabic as a language
doesn't change that; nothing seems to happen.
--selecting 'Persian' translates the user interface into a series of
'?', with a tiny bit of English for the strings that aren't
translated; the necessary font is missing, and there is no prompt to
add it.  This also applies to Singhalese and Urdu.  Turkish has a much
more minor version of this problem - most letters are there, but a few
are missing.
--typing Greek only shows '?'.  Selecting Greek as a language says
"This language needs additional fonts.  Do you want to install the
fonts? Yes / No".  Selecting 'yes' brings up a debugger, because the
.sar file for Greek fonts is missing.  This also applies to Russian,
Chinese, and Romanian.
-- Selecting Korean as a language brings up a debugger: "Error: My
subclass should have overridden #leadingChar".

I didn't evaluate Marathi, Mongolian, Nepali, Pushto, or Telegu, since
I don't have my system set up to input in them and none of the strings
that I happened to have on my screen were translated when I switched
to them.  I also didn't evaluate copy/paste for anything.

So: the situation is slightly better than what
http://www.nabble.com/3.10---Mac-OS-X-Leopard---accent-chars-and-keyboard-input-td15332280.html
led me to believe.  Accented Latin characters, when typed directly
(ie, without deadkeys/input methods) work out of the box in the OLPC
image, which I hope makes it into the basic Squeak image soon.
However, there are definitely still problems left as well.

If any of this is user error on my part, I'd be very glad. Assuming at
least some of it is not, while the OLPC image is a step in the right
direction - and probably would make a better baseline than the 'basic'
Squeak image - I'm still left with several of the problems my previous
email mentioned, and still very glad to hear about any successes
people have had with them.  Some of this stuff has clearly worked for
some people at some point, which is part of what makes the current
situation and its regressions so unexpected.

Regards;
Katerina Barone-Adesi

Am 04.09.2008 um 00:36 schrieb Katerina Barone-Adesi:

> [...]
> led me to believe.  Accented Latin characters, when typed directly
> (ie, without deadkeys/input methods) work out of the box in the OLPC
> image, which I hope makes it into the basic Squeak image soon.
> However, there are definitely still problems left as well.
>
> If any of this is user error on my part, I'd be very glad. Assuming at
> least some of it is not, while the OLPC image is a step in the right
> direction - and probably would make a better baseline than the 'basic'
> Squeak image - I'm still left with several of the problems my previous
> email mentioned, and still very glad to hear about any successes
> people have had with them.  Some of this stuff has clearly worked for
> some people at some point, which is part of what makes the current
> situation and its regressions so unexpected.

You also absolutely need the OLPC VM, which has the Pango plugin,
ExtendedClipboard plugin, XIM support and fixes to the keyboard
handling. This will be integrated in the official VM but that has not
been released yet. See

        http://etoys.laptop.org/

You will find RPMs there, or you have to build the VM yourself from
SVN sources (pay attention to the configure output so you are not
missing to build essential plugins).

I failed to mention before that we also made much more of the system
translatable, and switched to gettext. You can see the translation
progress here (and the translation does not cover Etoys only but the
whole system):

        https://dev.laptop.org/translate/projects/etoys/

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Thu, 4 Sep 2008 00:36:35 +0200,
Katerina Barone-Adesi wrote:

> - Deadkeys don't work.
> - Anthy + SKIM didn't work.
> - typing kana by using a Japanese keymap shows up as '?', even when
> etoys is showing up properly in Japanese.

  We have an extra option to the VM (we couldn't really clean the code
paths to eliminate it):  if you specify -compositioninput to the
display-X11 module, you should be able to input Japanese text from
SCIM.

> - Missing fonts and broken 'choose language' support:
> --typing Arabic only shows '?', and selecting Arabic as a language
> doesn't change that; nothing seems to happen.

> --selecting 'Persian' translates the user interface into a series of
> '?', with a tiny bit of English for the strings that aren't
> translated; the necessary font is missing, and there is no prompt to
> add it.  This also applies to Singhalese and Urdu.  Turkish has a much
> more minor version of this problem - most letters are there, but a few
> are missing.
> --typing Greek only shows '?'.  Selecting Greek as a language says
> "This language needs additional fonts.  Do you want to install the
> fonts? Yes / No".  Selecting 'yes' brings up a debugger, because the
> .sar file for Greek fonts is missing.  This also applies to Russian,
> Chinese, and Romanian.

  In the very latest image (you need to fetch updates), and the Pango
library is installed, you should see better than ? marks.

> -- Selecting Korean as a language brings up a debugger: "Error: My
> subclass should have overridden #leadingChar".

  Ah, that should be fixed.

  Thank you!

-- Yoshiki

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Katerina Barone-Adesi
I've tried using the OLPC VM [1] and
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-dev.zip (with all 239 updates).  The
results are improved, but still mixed:

What works:
- dead keys (as long as I run squeak -vm-display-X11 -compositioninput
etoys-dev.image).

What half-works:
- Japanese input.  I can type with Anthy+Skim and see hiragana
correctly, but as soon as I press space or enter, everything but the
first character turns into gibberish (not Kanji - accented Latin
characters and unicode missing-character boxes).  I don't think it's a
font problem, as it looks ok while I'm inputting it, and when I switch
to Japanese, all of the menus show up properly in Japanese.

What doesn't work:
- Russian input.  It mainly shows unicode boxes as well, even if I
change the font to Deja Vu (using World -> Open -> File List, loading
the TTF, then World -> Appearance -> System fonts -> Code font, then
opening a new workspace).

Running with or without -encoding UTF-8 -textenc UTF-8 seems to make
no difference.

Also, oddly, there are many less language options: only German,
English, Spanish, French, Japanese and Portuguese.  The rest have
disappeared.

I've prepared a screenshot.  The result of typing using a Russian
keymap is in the left workspace; the right one shows the result of
typing in Japanese with anthy+skim.  The top two lines on the right
are what happened after pressing enter; the properly-displaying
hiragana are what I see while I'm still typing.

Do you have any advice for how I can troubleshoot this and/or what I'm
doing wrong?

[1]: http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/squeak-vm-3.10-3olpc10.i386.rpm and
squeak -version:
3.10-3 #1 Fri Aug 29 19:30:22 CEST 2008 gcc 4.1.2
Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 [latest update: #7159]
Linux fedora7 2.6.23.17-88.fc7 #1 SMP Thu May 15 00:35:10 EDT 2008
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.10-3/*.so

Regards;
Katerina Barone-Adesi

bad-input-cropped.png (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Ken Causey-3
Thank you for continuing to pursue this and especially for sending out
these periodic progress reports.  I don't have any particular use for
the result at this time, but it is interesting nonetheless and is an
issue of importance to many people.

Ken

Am 06.09.2008 um 16:35 schrieb Katerina Barone-Adesi:

> I've tried using the OLPC VM [1] and
> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-dev.zip (with all 239 updates).  The
> results are improved, but still mixed:
>
> What works:
> - dead keys (as long as I run squeak -vm-display-X11 -compositioninput
> etoys-dev.image).
>
> What half-works:
> - Japanese input.  I can type with Anthy+Skim and see hiragana
> correctly, but as soon as I press space or enter, everything but the
> first character turns into gibberish (not Kanji - accented Latin
> characters and unicode missing-character boxes).  I don't think it's a
> font problem, as it looks ok while I'm inputting it, and when I switch
> to Japanese, all of the menus show up properly in Japanese.
>
> What doesn't work:
> - Russian input.  It mainly shows unicode boxes as well,

Were the (few) translated strings correctly displayed in Cyrillic?
E.g., in the Supplies flap the book morph should be labeled
"книга".

If not, then the fonts on your system are not set up correctly (it
works fine on the XO). If the Cyrillic is shown there however then you
might have discovered a bug. Possibly there is a clash between unicode-
input and latin-5 or so ...

>  even if I
> change the font to Deja Vu (using World -> Open -> File List, loading
> the TTF, then World -> Appearance -> System fonts -> Code font, then
> opening a new workspace).

That is completely independent of Pango rendering. Pango fonts cannot
be selected explicitly yet. This stuff is brand new.

> Running with or without -encoding UTF-8 -textenc UTF-8 seems to make
> no difference.
>
> Also, oddly, there are many less language options: only German,
> English, Spanish, French, Japanese and Portuguese.  The rest have
> disappeared.

That is indeed odd. Apparently it does not find the .mo files in the
locale directory next to etoys.image.

> I've prepared a screenshot.  The result of typing using a Russian
> keymap is in the left workspace; the right one shows the result of
> typing in Japanese with anthy+skim.  The top two lines on the right
> are what happened after pressing enter; the properly-displaying
> hiragana are what I see while I'm still typing.
>
> Do you have any advice for how I can troubleshoot this and/or what I'm
> doing wrong?

Hmm. I'm not sure. The VM version is correct. You might try finding
out if the input or the rendering is broken - look at the code point
of the generated characters, and tey to construct a string to print
made for Cyrillic Unicode values.

- Bert -

> [1]: http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/squeak-vm-3.10-3olpc10.i386.rpm and
> squeak -version:
> 3.10-3 #1 Fri Aug 29 19:30:22 CEST 2008 gcc 4.1.2
> Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 [latest update: #7159]
> Linux fedora7 2.6.23.17-88.fc7 #1 SMP Thu May 15 00:35:10 EDT 2008
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> default plugin location: /usr/lib/squeak/3.10-3/*.so
>
> Regards;
> Katerina Barone-Adesi
> <bad-input-cropped.png>

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Katerina Barone-Adesi
> Thank you for continuing to pursue this and especially for sending out
> these periodic progress reports.  I don't have any particular use for
> the result at this time, but it is interesting nonetheless and is an
> issue of importance to many people.

Gladly.  In turn, I'd like to thank everyone who's worked on Squeak
i18n, and everyone who's helped me try to get a working setup.

An addendum to my previous email: copy-paste behavior is extremely
strange with the OLPC vm and updated OLPC image.  I can copy text in
Russian or Japanese (for instance, from wikipedia) into Squeak, and it
displays perfectly.  I can copy the 'gibberish' that I typed and
showed in the screenshot in my previous email into other programs, and
it displays correctly in the other programs.  However, if I try to
copy correctly-display Japanese or Russian from Squeak into other
programs, it simply doesn't work: the clipboard seems to be empty, and
nothing is pasted when I click 'paste'.

Kat

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Katerina Barone-Adesi
>> What doesn't work:
>> - Russian input.  It mainly shows unicode boxes as well,
>
> Were the (few) translated strings correctly displayed in Cyrillic? E.g., in
> the Supplies flap the book morph should be labeled "книга".

No, because Russian wasn't one of the language options, so I didn't
have any translated strings.  However, copying text from wikipedia in
Russian into the workspace showed it correctly.   Japanese was an
option, and the translated strings displayed correctly.

>> Also, oddly, there are many less language options: only German,
>> English, Spanish, French, Japanese and Portuguese.  The rest have
>> disappeared.
>
> That is indeed odd. Apparently it does not find the .mo files in the locale
> directory next to etoys.image.

There are no .mo files (and there is no locale directory) in
etoys-dev.zip; it contains   QuickGuides/index.pr,
QuickGuides/preload-index.sexp.data.gz, Gallery.020.pr,
EtoysActivity.004.pr, EtoysV3.sources, Tutorials.009.pr,
etoys-dev.image, etoys-dev.changes, and po/etoys/, which contains 29
po files.

> Hmm. I'm not sure. The VM version is correct. You might try finding out if
> the input or the rendering is broken - look at the code point of the
> generated characters, and tey to construct a string to print made for
> Cyrillic Unicode values.

See my previous email (sent right after you sent this one) - it
appears to be input which is broken, because rendering text I copy
from other programs and paste into Squeak works correctly.

Kat

Am 06.09.2008 um 22:45 schrieb Katerina Barone-Adesi:

>>> What doesn't work:
>>> - Russian input.  It mainly shows unicode boxes as well,
>>
>> Were the (few) translated strings correctly displayed in Cyrillic?
>> E.g., in
>> the Supplies flap the book morph should be labeled "книга".
>
> No, because Russian wasn't one of the language options, so I didn't
> have any translated strings.  However, copying text from wikipedia in
> Russian into the workspace showed it correctly.   Japanese was an
> option, and the translated strings displayed correctly.
>
>>> Also, oddly, there are many less language options: only German,
>>> English, Spanish, French, Japanese and Portuguese.  The rest have
>>> disappeared.
>>
>> That is indeed odd. Apparently it does not find the .mo files in
>> the locale
>> directory next to etoys.image.
>
> There are no .mo files (and there is no locale directory) in
> etoys-dev.zip; it contains   QuickGuides/index.pr,
> QuickGuides/preload-index.sexp.data.gz, Gallery.020.pr,
> EtoysActivity.004.pr, EtoysV3.sources, Tutorials.009.pr,
> etoys-dev.image, etoys-dev.changes, and po/etoys/, which contains 29
> po files.

That is correct, you should get etoys-image-and-pr.zip.

>> Hmm. I'm not sure. The VM version is correct. You might try finding
>> out if
>> the input or the rendering is broken - look at the code point of the
>> generated characters, and tey to construct a string to print made for
>> Cyrillic Unicode values.
>
> See my previous email (sent right after you sent this one) - it
> appears to be input which is broken, because rendering text I copy
> from other programs and paste into Squeak works correctly.

Thanks. We have not had any feedback from Russian Linux users yet. I
added these two issues to the bug tracker:

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8339
https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8340

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] The state of Squeak I18n support: let's improve it

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Sat, 6 Sep 2008 16:35:38 +0200,
Katerina Barone-Adesi wrote:

> What half-works:
> - Japanese input.  I can type with Anthy+Skim and see hiragana
> correctly, but as soon as I press space or enter, everything but the
> first character turns into gibberish (not Kanji - accented Latin
> characters and unicode missing-character boxes).  I don't think it's a
> font problem, as it looks ok while I'm inputting it, and when I switch
> to Japanese, all of the menus show up properly in Japanese.

  For this, I made an image side patch.  I can't think of anything
that has changed since when I was testing stuff on Fedora 7 (and it
worked) and Fedora 9 (I observed the problem you described), so this
behavior may be depending on different version of Anthy and/or SCIM.
But it seems to be working (and looks logical) with this patch.

  Please try it and let me know how it goes.

-- Yoshiki

jaInputDec8-yo.1.cs (2K) Download Attachment