[squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak 3.9 vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The problem is that I cannot type symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for those symbols I get "´a" "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can be a problem with UTF8.

Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak image I have to set the encoder ?

many thanks for the help,

Mariano

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

CdAB63
Mariano Martinez Peck escreveu:
Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak 3.9 vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The problem is that I cannot type symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for those symbols I get "´a" "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can be a problem with UTF8.

Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak image I have to set the encoder ?

many thanks for the help,

Mariano

Try:

#!/bin/bash
SQUEAK_ENCODING=UTF-8
SQUEAK_TEXTENC=UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="pt_BR" (or your language)...
export SQUEAK_ENCODING SQUEAK_TEXTENC LC_CTYPE

/usr/local/bin/squeak squeak.image

Copy and paste the following to a file named UnicodeInputSupport-jlrr.1.cs

'From Squeak3.10beta of 22 July 2007 [latest update: #7159] on 20 March 2008 at 4:57:46 pm'! KeyboardInputInterpreter subclass: #UTF32InputInterpreter instanceVariableNames: '' classVariableNames: '' poolDictionaries: '' category: 'Multilingual-TextConversion'! !Latin1Environment class methodsFor: 'subclass responsibilities' stamp: 'jlrr 3/20/2008 12:55'! inputInterpreterClass ^ UTF32InputInterpreter ! ! !UTF32InputInterpreter methodsFor: 'as yet unclassified' stamp: 'jlrr 3/20/2008 12:55'! nextCharFrom: t1 firstEvt: t2 ^ Character value: (t2 at: 6)! !

Then in the menu: open->files->install UnicodeInputSupport-jlrr.1.cs

As consequence you can get support for UTF-8 in Linux.

Best regards,

CdAB

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:16:19 -0200,
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak 3.9 vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The
> problem is that I cannot type symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for those symbols I get "´a"
> "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can be a problem with UTF8.
>
> Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak image I have to set the encoder ?
>
> many thanks for the help,

  First, you probably want to use 3.10 VM.  And, try the image in
http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/etoys-dev-4.0.zip and see what happens.
That should prove that it is possible.

-- Yoshiki

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Katerina Barone-Adesi
> Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak 3.9
> vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The problem is that I cannot type
> symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for those
> symbols I get "´a" "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can be a
> problem with UTF8.
>
> Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak image I
> have to set the encoder ?

Given that you get ´a, etc, I assume you're using deadkeys.  The only
way I know of to get deadkeys to work under Squeak is to use the OLPC
image; unfortunately, they don't appear to work in any of the
squeak.org images (3.9 or 3.10), or Damien Cassou's.  You can get it
from http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip .  I forget if
you need to use the OLPC vm too or not;
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys#Method_3_-_Install_RPMs_or_.deb.27s_.28Linux_Only.29
has instructions if just using the image with your current VM isn't
enough.

If you're not using deadkeys, the above should still work, but you
also have an alternative:  following the instructions at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5773 .  The page focuses on Russian
support, but the image that results from following it also works for
Spanish.  If you really want to use something based on Damien Cassou's
image and don't need deadkeys, try this (and tell me if it works for
you, and if not, what's wrong); otherwise, the OLPC instructions above
should be easier.

I hope this helps.
Regards;
Katerina Barone-Adesi

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Mariano Martinez Peck
Casimiro: Many thanks for the help. Ï did all you said I now I get "a?" "e?" "u?" and so on instead of "´a" "´e"....however, I didn't get "á", "é" and "ú". Any ideas? Ahh which would be the correct value for LC_CTYPE for english?  "pt_EN" ???

Katerina: I test the etoys image you said with the normal vm (not etoys vm) and there they work perfect the keys! What could be the difference? The problem is I would like to use Demian image, not etoys. So, the only thing I could do is the link you told me about the
russian support ?

many thanks for the help,

Mariano

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Katerina Barone-Adesi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak 3.9
> vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The problem is that I cannot type
> symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for those
> symbols I get "´a" "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can be a
> problem with UTF8.
>
> Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak image I
> have to set the encoder ?

Given that you get ´a, etc, I assume you're using deadkeys.  The only
way I know of to get deadkeys to work under Squeak is to use the OLPC
image; unfortunately, they don't appear to work in any of the
squeak.org images (3.9 or 3.10), or Damien Cassou's.  You can get it
from http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip .  I forget if
you need to use the OLPC vm too or not;
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys#Method_3_-_Install_RPMs_or_.deb.27s_.28Linux_Only.29
has instructions if just using the image with your current VM isn't
enough.

If you're not using deadkeys, the above should still work, but you
also have an alternative:  following the instructions at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5773 .  The page focuses on Russian
support, but the image that results from following it also works for
Spanish.  If you really want to use something based on Damien Cassou's
image and don't need deadkeys, try this (and tell me if it works for
you, and if not, what's wrong); otherwise, the OLPC instructions above
should be easier.

I hope this helps.
Regards;
Katerina Barone-Adesi

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Katerina Barone-Adesi
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Casimiro: Many thanks for the help. Ï did all you said I now I get "a?" "e?"
> "u?" and so on instead of "´a" "´e"....however, I didn't get "á", "é" and
> "ú". Any ideas? Ahh which would be the correct value for LC_CTYPE for
> english?  "pt_EN" ???

I use en_US.UTF-8
The format is (two letter language code)_(two letter country
code).(encoding), so pt_EN isn't valid; EN isn't the country code of a
Portuguese-speaking country (I'm oversimplifying slightly).

> Katerina: I test the etoys image you said with the normal vm (not etoys vm)
> and there they work perfect the keys! What could be the difference?

They've done a fair amount of work to get various input methods
working; I can't easily point you to specific changes they've made in
the code, but there are some.

> The
> problem is I would like to use Demian image, not etoys. So, the only thing I
> could do is the link you told me about the
> russian support ?

It's probably not the only thing, but it's probably the easiest thing,
unfortunately.

Tell me your keymap/input method, and I'll come up with a minimal set
of steps for Spanish/Portuguese support and update the wiki this
evening.  You shouldn't need to bother with freetype, and definitely
don't need to bother with cyrillic fonts.

Kat

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

CdAB63
Mariano Martinez Peck escreveu:
Casimiro: Many thanks for the help. Ï did all you said I now I get "a?" "e?" "u?" and so on instead of "´a" "´e"....however, I didn't get "á", "é" and "ú". Any ideas? Ahh which would be the correct value for LC_CTYPE for english?  "pt_EN" ???

Katerina: I test the etoys image you said with the normal vm (not etoys vm) and there they work perfect the keys! What could be the difference? The problem is I would like to use Demian image, not etoys. So, the only thing I could do is the link you told me about the
russian support ?

many thanks for the help,

Mariano

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Katerina Barone-Adesi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak 3.9
> vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The problem is that I cannot type
> symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for those
> symbols I get "´a" "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can be a
> problem with UTF8.
>
> Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak image I
> have to set the encoder ?

Given that you get ´a, etc, I assume you're using deadkeys.  The only
way I know of to get deadkeys to work under Squeak is to use the OLPC
image; unfortunately, they don't appear to work in any of the
squeak.org images (3.9 or 3.10), or Damien Cassou's.  You can get it
from http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip .  I forget if
you need to use the OLPC vm too or not;
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys#Method_3_-_Install_RPMs_or_.deb.27s_.28Linux_Only.29
has instructions if just using the image with your current VM isn't
enough.

If you're not using deadkeys, the above should still work, but you
also have an alternative:  following the instructions at
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5773 .  The page focuses on Russian
support, but the image that results from following it also works for
Spanish.  If you really want to use something based on Damien Cassou's
image and don't need deadkeys, try this (and tell me if it works for
you, and if not, what's wrong); otherwise, the OLPC instructions above
should be easier.

I hope this helps.
Regards;
Katerina Barone-Adesi

Ops...

I guess that unsing LC_CTYPE="en" will just kill your dead-letters. I'm using a US keyboard (no ç or anything like that in the keyboard) and I use the LC_CTYPE="pt_BR" for the sake of composing  ' +  c = ç and ' + a = á. So I think you should try LC_CTYPE="es". I agree about the strageness of using a pt_BR (should be a pt_EN). BTW, in Linux my keyboard is configured as : "USA Alternative international (former us_intl) (gnome preferences menu). Besides, the system language is set to Portuguese (Brasil) (Administration menu, Language settings. Must have root access).

As you are having trouble, perhaps your system idiom is not set to Spanish... or the system encoding is not set to UTF-8 (that should be the default). You can try to change SQUEAK_ENCODING and TEXTENC to "latin9" or "latin1" or ISO8859-1... Anyways, I think that character selection is something that must be perfected in squeak :(

BTW, I'm using Fedora rel 9. But my configuration should be the same to work in Ubuntu.

Abraços,

Casimiro

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

Bert Freudenberg

Am 24.10.2008 um 14:27 schrieb Casimiro de Almeida Barreto:

> [...]
> and I use the LC_CTYPE="pt_BR" for the sake of composing  ' +  c = ç
> and ' + a = á. So I think you should try LC_CTYPE="es". I agree
> about the strageness of using a pt_BR (should be a pt_EN). BTW, in
> Linux my keyboard is configured as : "USA Alternative international
> (former us_intl) (gnome preferences menu). Besides, the system
> language is set to Portuguese (Brasil) (Administration menu,
> Language settings. Must have root access).
>
> As you are having trouble, perhaps your system idiom is not set to
> Spanish... or the system encoding is not set to UTF-8 (that should
> be the default). You can try to change SQUEAK_ENCODING and TEXTENC
> to "latin9" or "latin1" or ISO8859-1... Anyways, I think that
> character selection is something that must be perfected in squeak :(
>
> BTW, I'm using Fedora rel 9. But my configuration should be the same

I'm not entirely sure what LC_CTYPE does. But on the OLPC no LC_*
variable was set, only LANG (e.g,, pt_BR.utf8 or en_EN.utf8). To have
composite input working correctly we now set LC_ALL to $LANG, too.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] UTF8 - squeak

José Luis Redrejo
Add the debian lenny repositories to your ubuntu installation, and install using apt-get or synaptic the package etoys .
You'll also get the squeak-vm package.
WIth both packages you'll have it working as Bert has explained.
Don't use the squeak-vm package from Ubuntu as it doesn't support dead keys.

Cheers
José L.

2008/10/24 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>

> [...]

As you are having trouble, perhaps your system idiom is not set to Spanish... or the system encoding is not set to UTF-8 (that should be the default). You can try to change SQUEAK_ENCODING and TEXTENC to "latin9" or "latin1" or ISO8859-1... Anyways, I think that character selection is something that must be perfected in squeak :(

BTW, I'm using Fedora rel 9. But my configuration should be the same to work in Ubuntu.

Abraços,

Casimiro

I'm not entirely sure what LC_CTYPE does. But on the OLPC no LC_* variable was set, only LANG (e.g,, pt_BR.utf8 or en_EN.utf8). To have composite input working correctly we now set LC_ALL to $LANG, too.

[squeak-dev] Re: UTF8 - squeak

Nicolas Cellier-3
Mariano Martinez Peck a écrit :

> Hi everybody! I am using Ubuntu 8.04, latin american keyboard, squeak
> 3.9 vm, squeak 3.10.2 of Damien Cassou. The problem is that I cannot
> type symbols like: "á" , "ó", "ú" and so on....If I press the keys for
> those symbols I get "´a" "´o" and "´u" respectively. So, I guess it can
> be a problem with UTF8.
>
> Does some know how can I fix this? is there somewhere in the squeak
> image I have to set the encoder ?
>
> many thanks for the help,
>
> Mariano

If you need only characters from iso-8859-1, you can simply try a 3.10
unicode VM and patch 3.10.2 image with
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7071

In image execute this:

   Installer mantis ensureFix: 7071.

Nicolas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: UTF8 - squeak

Mariano Martinez Peck
Many thanks to all of you. Finally I could have UTF8 in squeak in linux. The things I have to do are:

1) Run UnicodeInputSupport-jlrr.1.cs
2) SQUEAK_ENCODING SQUEAK_TEXTENC LC_CTYPE  were not necessary
3) This work perfect with the OLPC VM I compile by myself

However, It doesn't work with the other VM I have (installed trought apt-get if I rember ok). I think Jose Luis told me this. With this vm, if I want "á" I get an "a?".  And if I use this vm what with an image with UnicodeInputSupport-jlrr.1.cs no matter with key I press I get "[".

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Mariano