[squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

12

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

Igor Stasenko
I can't imagine how such a minor mistake would make some people so angry.
What i see, is the lack of organization and fragile system design
which allows a single person to make substantional damage to public
resources, even by mistake.
Let's not blame each other on who did or what, lets better think
about, how to make better system be more protected from such mistakes
in future and yet still easy to manage in collaborative environment.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
In my country there is a game called "telefono descompuesto" (broken phone). Goes this way: a line of persons forms and 2 more persons are at the ends of the line. One of the persons at the endo of the line creates a complex message and says it in the ear of the first person of the line so the second person can't hear it. Then the first person pass this message to the second person, also in the ear. This process continue until the message arrives to the person at the other end of the line.
The message is always inexact, most times funny and has nothing in common with the original message.

So the phrase "esto ya parece teléfono descompuesto" (this is like a broken phone) applies to situations where something is misunderstood as a result of serveral persons repeating his own version of the original fact.

Cheers,
Miguel Cobá

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't imagine how such a minor mistake would make some people so angry.
What i see, is the lack of organization and fragile system design
which allows a single person to make substantional damage to public
resources, even by mistake.
Let's not blame each other on who did or what, lets better think
about, how to make better system be more protected from such mistakes
in future and yet still easy to manage in collaborative environment.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

RE: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

Gary Chambers-4
Wonders if everyboday is rather stressed!

[squeak-dev] Re: Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

Tapple Gao
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:58:26PM -0700, Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> Someone erased the contents of
> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/updates.list
>
> and replaced it with something Sapphire-related. That is just
> wrong. The update stream needs to be preserved.

It was pointed out to me that the phrase "That is just wrong"
could be taken in an accusatory tone. I'm sorry for saying that;
I should have written this email a little less hastily. Sorry
for any confusion.

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/24/08 12:08 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Contributions are valuable. They are not crap. Do not call them
> such.

I don't think any in Squeak or any honest contribution is crap.
But if you read this list , you could see some think this way.
Remember they said Nebraska is crap.
Still my students open wide his eyes showing how in 3.10 people could
connect two others computers and send simple morphs...

> Nobody here has this attitude. Please stop accusing people of
> bad motives. You are hurting people by saying things like this.
> Please stop

Well , I finish this. No point as bad players continue his ways and I can't
do nothing to change.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 06:50:03PM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/24/08 12:08 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribi?:
>
> > Contributions are valuable. They are not crap. Do not call them
> > such.
>
> I don't think any in Squeak or any honest contribution is crap.
> But if you read this list , you could see some think this way.
> Remember they said Nebraska is crap.

Nobody thinks "Nebraska is crap". Some have observed that
Nebraska does not currently work in 3.10, or that Nebraska would
be more appropriate as an add-on package, but that is not the
same as saying "It is crap". Don't take value judgments too
seriously. As the English saying goes: "One man's trash is
another man's treasure"

> Well , I finish this. No point as bad players continue his ways and I can't
> do nothing to change.

I don't believe we have these "bad players" of which you speak.
Try to view people in a more positive light. People are usually
nicer if you assume they are nice.

[squeak-dev] Re: Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

SergeStinckwich
Edgar J. De Cleene a écrit :

> El 4/23/08 9:58 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> Someone erased the contents of
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/updates.list
>>
>> and replaced it with something Sapphire-related. That is just
>> wrong. The update stream needs to be preserved.
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
>
> The Board should show some action.
> It's unthinkable some guy, whatever great is his name , take community
> resources for his own ego satisfaction.
>
> My work is free for Squeak and only for Squeak, any other use is NOT free.

BTW Edgar, if you are releasing your Squeak modifications under the MIT
licence, your work could be used in another Squeak fork without problem.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.free.fr/

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

stephane ducasse
No problema, I believe you :)
let us focus on good energy. All the energy we spent (sometimes
inadequately in the past) were for doing a better Smalltalk
to share with people. We will continue but we need more fun and freedom.

Stef

> Repeat, may be I send my mail in the wrong place, but I'm not
> insultating you nor neither other. The people who know me would
> testify I'm a respectful person.
>

> 2008/4/24 stephane ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> You know guys.
> I really hate to by insulted like that.
> When you will have done 5% of what I'm doing for Smalltalk I will
> let you freely insult me.
>
> Stef
>

> On Apr 24, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
> Bad things are happening, as I was reading on IRC. Some people
> believe to be the owner of  Squeak?.
>
> I think the Board must take action and put bridles on the access to
> the repositories of official versions. A concrete record of all the
> people with access should be completed (or another control method),
> but I think that is an urgence.
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2008/4/24 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
> On 24.04.2008, at 11:07, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>
> El 4/23/08 9:58 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Someone erased the contents of
> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/updates.list
>
> and replaced it with something Sapphire-related. That is just
> wrong. The update stream needs to be preserved.
>
> -- Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/
>
> The Board should show some action.
> It's unthinkable some guy, whatever great is his name , take community
> resources for his own ego satisfaction.
>
> My work is free for Squeak and only for Squeak, any other use is NOT
> free.
>

> "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
> stupidity."
>
> Stef, Alexandre, what's up with this?
>
> - Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

stephane ducasse
No problem matthew, your email was ok. I messed up with my unix scripts.
Igor the problem is that I messed up because I was maintainer of 3.9
and one file went in the wrong
folder. No more than that. I'm happy to know that there is a backup :)

Stef

>> Someone erased the contents of
>> http://ftp.squeak.org/updates/updates.list
>>
>> and replaced it with something Sapphire-related. That is just
>> wrong. The update stream needs to be preserved.
>
> It was pointed out to me that the phrase "That is just wrong"
> could be taken in an accusatory tone. I'm sorry for saying that;
> I should have written this email a little less hastily. Sorry
> for any confusion.
>
> --
> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

stephane ducasse
Edgar

We are not saying that nebraska is crap. It can be fun.
Now may be your students find it fun, however when I show squeak to
students I would like to be proud of it
and when they find Morph (with more than 1000 methods) or see that
compiler is dependent of the UI
then if they are smart they will think that I'm stupid, that Smalltalk
is shit....So I never lie to students and tell them
Smalltalk is a cool idea but Squeak needs some works to really shine
and that we are working on it. Smart guys can then
choose and do not consider Smalltalk = Squeak = Shit.
Now in Sapphire we simply do not ***accept*** anymore to lose our time
maintaining experiences from the past. I hate to see
halospec defined in Preferences, to see all the dependencies
introduced by etoy. Etoy is a cool experience and a successful one
(I translated in french the etoy book so I do not have to convince
anybody that I supported it)
but it does not mean that we have to live under its tyranny. We
maintained 3.9 paying attention to break as less as possible.
We removed dilaectStream and other tiles based experiences that
polluted all the AST. Experimenting is cool but when an experience
is done either it should be cleaned up and lead to production code or
we should drop it.
Now we are free (open-source :)). You do not have to use what we will
produce - just read our books :)
But we will not lie to people, with what we are doing: no etoy, no
nebraska, no experiences will be maintained.
It does not mean that people will not be able to work to load back
etoy into it but this is not our concerns.
The only constraint we fix to ourselves is that Seaside runs on it and
make sure that people will be able to develop and invent their
future with a clean and lean Smalltalk.

We always have in mind the quote of dan stating that a single man
should be able to understand Smalltalk, with a clean system
with beautiful interfaces this should be possible.

Stef

On Apr 24, 2008, at 11:50 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> El 4/24/08 12:08 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> Contributions are valuable. They are not crap. Do not call them
>> such.
>
> I don't think any in Squeak or any honest contribution is crap.
> But if you read this list , you could see some think this way.
> Remember they said Nebraska is crap.
> Still my students open wide his eyes showing how in 3.10 people could
> connect two others computers and send simple morphs...
>
>> Nobody here has this attitude. Please stop accusing people of
>> bad motives. You are hurting people by saying things like this.
>> Please stop
>
> Well , I finish this. No point as bad players continue his ways and
> I can't
> do nothing to change.

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

David Mitchell-10
Stef,

Appreciate what you are doing here. I think a fork can bring renewed
focus and energy.

--David

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:20 AM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> > El 4/24/08 12:08 PM, "Matthew Fulmer" <[hidden email]> escribió:
> >

> > > Contributions are valuable. They are not crap. Do not call them
> > > such.
> > >

> > I don't think any in Squeak or any honest contribution is crap.
> > But if you read this list , you could see some think this way.
> > Remember they said Nebraska is crap.
> > Still my students open wide his eyes showing how in 3.10 people could
> > connect two others computers and send simple morphs...
> >

> > > Nobody here has this attitude. Please stop accusing people of
> > > bad motives. You are hurting people by saying things like this.
> > > Please stop
> > >

> > Well , I finish this. No point as bad players continue his ways and I
> can't
> > do nothing to change.

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

keith1y
David Mitchell wrote:
> Stef,
>
> Appreciate what you are doing here. I think a fork can bring renewed
> focus and energy.
>
> --David

I think that this fork has a number of similar goals to those expressed
by the majority of those folks that I have met seeking to contribute to
3.11.

I think that the 3.11 effort is focussing upon tools to facilitate
carving things up carefully, while  the saffire approach of sacrificing
backwards compatibility upfront, enables carving to begin right away.

The 3.11 unofficial team has a goal to move things forward for all
squeak versions, in order to promote collaboratiion between the
different user communities.

I am hoping Saphire will come up with lots of ideas we can make use of...

regards

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?

Nikolay Suslov

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:20 PM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

But how then to understand these words from the interview with Alan Kay?
(http://www.acmqueue.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=273&page=4)

"Basically what happened is this vehicle became more and more a programmer's vehicle and less and less a children's vehicle—the version that got put out, Smalltalk '80, I don't think it was ever programmed by a child. I don't think it could have been programmed by a child because it had lost some of its amenities, even as it gained pragmatic power.

So the death of Smalltalk in a way came as soon as it got recognized by real programmers as being something useful; they made it into more of their own image, and it started losing its nice end-user features."

Regards,
Nikolay Suslov

[...]

End of misunderstanding (was Re: [squeak-dev] Update Stream Gone? Replaced with Sapphire? What?)

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/25/08 11:20 AM, "stephane ducasse" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Edgar
>
> We are not saying that nebraska is crap. It can be fun.
> Now may be your students find it fun, however when I show squeak to
> students I would like to be proud of it
> and when they find Morph (with more than 1000 methods) or see that
> compiler is dependent of the UI
> then if they are smart they will think that I'm stupid, that Smalltalk
> is shit....So I never lie to students and tell them
> Smalltalk is a cool idea but Squeak needs some works to really shine
> and that we are working on it. Smart guys can then
> choose and do not consider Smalltalk = Squeak = Shit.
> Now in Sapphire we simply do not ***accept*** anymore to lose our time
> maintaining experiences from the past. I hate to see
> halospec defined in Preferences, to see all the dependencies
> introduced by etoy. Etoy is a cool experience and a successful one
> (I translated in french the etoy book so I do not have to convince
> anybody that I supported it)
> but it does not mean that we have to live under its tyranny. We
> maintained 3.9 paying attention to break as less as possible.
> We removed dilaectStream and other tiles based experiences that
> polluted all the AST. Experimenting is cool but when an experience
> is done either it should be cleaned up and lead to production code or
> we should drop it.
> Now we are free (open-source :)). You do not have to use what we will
> produce - just read our books :)
> But we will not lie to people, with what we are doing: no etoy, no
> nebraska, no experiences will be maintained.
> It does not mean that people will not be able to work to load back
> etoy into it but this is not our concerns.
> The only constraint we fix to ourselves is that Seaside runs on it and
> make sure that people will be able to develop and invent their
> future with a clean and lean Smalltalk.
>
> We always have in mind the quote of dan stating that a single man
> should be able to understand Smalltalk, with a clean system
> with beautiful interfaces this should be possible.

Steph:

I apologize by bad temper.

I admire all your work and long support of Squeak and other duties Smalltalk
related.

Also I know Squeak need polish.

I do my best for help, sometimes I have too much passion and few brain,
excuse.

I could remove Etoys for 3.10, maybe not the cool way Juan do in his Morphic
3.0 image.

As seems rough to the time, Ralph decide keep Nebraska and Etoys one Squeak
version more and was a wise decision.

Nebraska have some glitches, also his successor in NetMorph works of Mashahi
Umesawa http://swikis.ddo.jp/NetMorph

Etoys could also have his successor in OLPC or others people work.

Both go away in 3.11 or any next Squeak and people should decide of enhance,
maintain or abandon they once we move to loadable versions in squeaksource.

Saying another Smalltalk version is best because could run Seaside is a
short goal.

Maybe Aida/Scribo could bet Seaside or another web framework arise and bet
both Aida and Seaside...

Having a good way for doing commercial web is not enough IMHO.

You say we should have fun, I try to have all in FunSqueak.

Could be better ? Oh yes, I waiting feedback and help.

Modular ? Small ? I try SqueakLight, both Pavel and Craig bet me in a way I
know never could do same as they do.

So I try to reshape Morph, in maybe 5 to 7 logical packages which could be
loaded on top of "Squeak 4.0" any this becomes.

And as Alan say , try to be part of the future.

Forks could be a good or bad thing , I don't know.
Linux have thousands and Squeak only few.

My last is again beg pardon.

Edgar

12