[squeak-dev] Updating from Squeak3.10.2-trunk.image stops at 'Merging System ar.131'

[squeak-dev] Updating from Squeak3.10.2-trunk.image stops at 'Merging System ar.131'

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I am curious to see the on-going work towards a version 3.11 (in
particular the new editor from CUIS and the fonts updates)

So I took

http://squeakvm.org/win32/release/Squeak-3.10.2-trunk.zip
and
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release/SqueakVM-Win32-3.11.3-bin.zip

and hit the "Load code updates" button.

The update process stopped . A window came up
   'Merging System ar.131'

(see screen shot)

Is this the intended behavior? What am I supposed to do at this point?

Thank you for this interesting work. I really like the font updates. The
screen looks crisp and clear.

Hannes

UpdatingSqueak3.10.2trunk.png (65K) Download Attachment

[squeak-dev] Re: Updating from Squeak3.10.2-trunk.image stops at 'Merging System ar.131'

Andreas.Raab
hannes.hirzel wrote:
> The update process stopped . A window came up
>   'Merging System ar.131'
>
> (see screen shot)
>
> Is this the intended behavior? What am I supposed to do at this point?

Yes, unfortunately this is the "intended" behavior. It's caused by the
Monticello bug I was asking about earlier (the issue with reordering
class var names). To proceed, just select the bold entry, hit "keep" (as
you already did in the picture) and then "merge" at the top. The process
will proceed just fine after that.

If you're interested, what you are seeing in this case is what you would
be seeing if you had done local modifications to the image. One of the
nicer things about the trunk is that you *can* update images with local
changes to it (I do this all the time). However, if there are
conflicting changes between what you have and what comes from the server
you need to decide what to do and this dialog comes up. Except that, in
this case it comes up because MC is confused about something that
doesn't actually constitute a change.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Updating from Squeak3.10.2-trunk.image stops at 'Merging System ar.131'

keith1y
Andreas Raab wrote:

> hannes.hirzel wrote:
>> The update process stopped . A window came up
>>   'Merging System ar.131'
>>
>> (see screen shot)
>>
>> Is this the intended behavior? What am I supposed to do at this point?
>
> Yes, unfortunately this is the "intended" behavior. It's caused by the
> Monticello bug I was asking about earlier (the issue with reordering
> class var names). To proceed, just select the bold entry, hit "keep"
> (as you already did in the picture) and then "merge" at the top. The
> process will proceed just fine after that.
>
> If you're interested, what you are seeing in this case is what you
> would be seeing if you had done local modifications to the image. One
> of the nicer things about the trunk is that you *can* update images
> with local changes to it (I do this all the time). However, if there
> are conflicting changes between what you have and what comes from the
> server you need to decide what to do and this dialog comes up. Except
> that, in this case it comes up because MC is confused about something
> that doesn't actually constitute a change.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
Then why not use MC1.5, or even 3.10-build as a starting point.

Keith

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Updating from Squeak3.10.2-trunk.image stops at 'Merging System ar.131'

Bert Freudenberg

On 12.08.2009, at 17:05, Keith Hodges wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> hannes.hirzel wrote:
>>> The update process stopped . A window came up
>>>  'Merging System ar.131'
>>>
>>> (see screen shot)
>>>
>>> Is this the intended behavior? What am I supposed to do at this
>>> point?
>>
>> Yes, unfortunately this is the "intended" behavior. It's caused by
>> the
>> Monticello bug I was asking about earlier (the issue with reordering
>> class var names). To proceed, just select the bold entry, hit "keep"
>> (as you already did in the picture) and then "merge" at the top. The
>> process will proceed just fine after that.
>>
>> If you're interested, what you are seeing in this case is what you
>> would be seeing if you had done local modifications to the image. One
>> of the nicer things about the trunk is that you *can* update images
>> with local changes to it (I do this all the time). However, if there
>> are conflicting changes between what you have and what comes from the
>> server you need to decide what to do and this dialog comes up. Except
>> that, in this case it comes up because MC is confused about something
>> that doesn't actually constitute a change.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
> Then why not use MC1.5, or even 3.10-build as a starting point.
>
> Keith

I proposed that 2 days ago :

On 10.08.2009, at 08:41, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Fix: Monticello-bf.281 (29 August 2006, 12:05:21 pm)
> - ignore order of class vars and pools when comparing class defs
>
> This version is missing in the trunk version ancestry, but present
> in the latest at
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/mc.html
>
> We should switch, but I have not tested how that version works with
> the updating process.
>
> - Bert -

Today I tried how hard it would be to switch but got problems loading
Monticello-kph.492.mcz so I only pulled the fix out and committed that.

But maybe for you it would be more easy to do? You have commit access
to the trunk, it would be great if we got the latest MC in there.

- Bert -