[squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

Martin Bleichner-2
Hi together,

I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak application.
I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply that it won't work.
Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not really be the best language for my project, but as soon as I have the sound signal, squeak is perfect for my needs.

I also thought about using opencroquet or open cobalt, to record four microphones on four different computers and to integrate the input in a common world.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot
Martin

Re: [squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

Derek O'Connell-2
Do they have be separate inputs? If not you could mix them externally.
If they do have to be separate then a better idea of what you want to
do would allow alternative suggestions.

On 2/7/09, Martin Bleichner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi together,
>
> I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak
> application.
> I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply that it
> won't work.
> Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not really be the
> best language for my project, but as soon as I have the sound signal, squeak
> is perfect for my needs.
>
> I also thought about using opencroquet or open cobalt, to record four
> microphones on four different computers and to integrate the input in a
> common world.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Martin

Re: [squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

Martin Bleichner-2
Hi Derek,

they have to be separate. The idea is to control a cursor by sound.
Every direction (left, right, up, down) is supposed to be controlled by a different sound source.
Currently I am using one microphone and the SpectralAnalyzerMorph. The fft allows me to split up different frequencies. Consequently, by whisteling at specific frequencies one can control the cursor in different directions.

What I have in mind however are different sound sources having the same frequency content. The control of the cursor hence relies on amplitude.

One possibility would be to record four microphones, externally modulate the frequencies, combine the signals an pull them apart by the fft again.

I was hoping for something more out of the box :). But there apparently is no simple way to solve that problem

Best
Martin

2009/2/7 Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]>
Do they have be separate inputs? If not you could mix them externally.
If they do have to be separate then a better idea of what you want to
do would allow alternative suggestions.

On 2/7/09, Martin Bleichner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi together,
>
> I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak
> application.
> I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply that it
> won't work.
> Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not really be the
> best language for my project, but as soon as I have the sound signal, squeak
> is perfect for my needs.
>
> I also thought about using opencroquet or open cobalt, to record four
> microphones on four different computers and to integrate the input in a
> common world.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Martin

Re: [squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

johnmci
How about looking at the gsteamer support?

On 2/7/09, Martin Bleichner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> they have to be separate. The idea is to control a cursor by sound.
> Every direction (left, right, up, down) is supposed to be controlled by a
> different sound source.
> Currently I am using one microphone and the SpectralAnalyzerMorph. The fft
> allows me to split up different frequencies. Consequently, by whisteling at
> specific frequencies one can control the cursor in different directions.
>
> What I have in mind however are different sound sources having the same
> frequency content. The control of the cursor hence relies on amplitude.
>
> One possibility would be to record four microphones, externally modulate the
> frequencies, combine the signals an pull them apart by the fft again.
>
> I was hoping for something more out of the box :). But there apparently is
> no simple way to solve that problem
>
> Best
> Martin
>

> 2009/2/7 Derek O'Connell <[hidden email]>
>
>> Do they have be separate inputs? If not you could mix them externally.
>> If they do have to be separate then a better idea of what you want to
>> do would allow alternative suggestions.
>>
>> On 2/7/09, Martin Bleichner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi together,
>> >
>> > I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak
>> > application.
>> > I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply that
>> it
>> > won't work.
>> > Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not really be
>> > the
>> > best language for my project, but as soon as I have the sound signal,
>> squeak
>> > is perfect for my needs.
>> >
>> > I also thought about using opencroquet or open cobalt, to record four
>> > microphones on four different computers and to integrate the input in a
>> > common world.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot
>> > Martin

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>

Re: [squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

Herbert König
Hello Martin,

MB> I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak application.
MB> I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply that it won't work.
MB> Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not
MB> really be the best language for my project, but as soon as I have
MB> the sound signal, squeak is perfect for my needs.

just curious, which language would you use to capture 4 channels?
Squeak can do two channels as I wrote on the German list and I guess
every other language also would have to link into some dll to get
audio input from non standard pc sound hardware.

This could be done via FFI likewise. IMHO Squeak linux has an alsa
plugin a driver which is supported by modern multichannel soundcards.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: [squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

Martin Bleichner-2
Hi Herbert,

I don't know how the sound would be captured. I know that it is possible to record several microphones with specific hardware. But I don't know yet what happens from then on.

Best
Martin

2009/2/7 Herbert König <[hidden email]>
Hello Martin,

MB> I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak application.
MB> I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply that it won't work.
MB> Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not
MB> really be the best language for my project, but as soon as I have
MB> the sound signal, squeak is perfect for my needs.

just curious, which language would you use to capture 4 channels?
Squeak can do two channels as I wrote on the German list and I guess
every other language also would have to link into some dll to get
audio input from non standard pc sound hardware.

This could be done via FFI likewise. IMHO Squeak linux has an alsa
plugin a driver which is supported by modern multichannel soundcards.

Cheers,

Herbert

Re: [squeak-dev] Using Multiple Microphones

Hans-Martin Mosner
Martin Bleichner schrieb:
> Hi together,
>
> I try to use the input of multiple microphones (four) in a squeak
> application.
> I already asked this question on the German list and got the reply
> that it won't work.
> Does anybody has an idea for a workaround? Squeak might not really be
> the best language for my project, but as soon as I have the sound
> signal, squeak is perfect for my needs.
I have successfully used a combination of ExternalOSProcess and
/usr/bin/arecord in a recording software which takes 24-bit 2-channel
input at 44.1 kHz for live recording (and CD writing). That works very
well and uses only moderate amounts of processing power.
Using that approach, you should be able to access all ALSA input sources
available on your machine.
Alternatively, you could attach to the ALSA libraries using FFI - I just
was too lazy for doing that, and my performance requirements were easily
met by the arecord solution.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin