[squeak-dev] Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

[squeak-dev] Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

Torsten Bergmann
Played with a webcam on WinVista last night and found VideoFlow framework for Squeak.
(http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2411)

I tried the DShowVideoController examples. The captured frame is displayed correctly
but the update is really really slow (changes any 10 seconds) on a fast machine.

When I use the WebCamMorph (which used sqWebCam.dll) the video is
fast enough but the colors are totally screwed up.
Changine the display depth and endianess didn't help. Camera is working with
other programs. Must be a Squeak issue since using the MCI in C# works perfect.

Any ideas?
Thx
Torsten

Re: [squeak-dev] Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

johnmci
Take a look at the GStreamer work that I did

http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html

--
=
=

[squeak-dev] Re: Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

SergeStinckwich
John M McIntosh a écrit :
> Take a look at the GStreamer work that I did
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html

Looks promising. This is portable ?

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

Bert Freudenberg

On 04.06.2008, at 22:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> John M McIntosh a écrit :
>> Take a look at the GStreamer work that I did
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
>

> Looks promising. This is portable ?

GStreamer is available on all platforms. But compiling it is easiest
on Linux.

- Bert -

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

johnmci
I believe Qwaq is working on the Windows version.

You can run on os-x if you use MacPorts to install GStreamer.

But I need a Linux/Unix guy to help build static linked libraries for
the GStreamer logic on os-x, since that effort exceeds my
threshold of wanting to know how to produce statically linked unix
binaries that you can install in arbitrary places.

What has to happen is that when you start the GStreamer initialization
logic you tell it to load libraries and plugins from
some directory that is part of the GStreamer squeak plugin install.

--
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

johnmci
Forgot to mention there is code examples on the OLPC page to grab an
image from the camera on the OLPC
and turn into a JPEG or something. Your choices would be to make a
pipeline to grab an image, turn into a
JPG or PNG and have the pipeline write that to disk. In the Sunits I
actually use a GStreamer pipeline to
read from a URI and write to disk for example.

Otherwise you can create a pipeline and deposit the data into a squeak
Form. That is part of the Sunits, but
also part of the GStreamer Morphic Media player where it enables the
playback of Ogg video/audio in a player that was cloned
from the Squeak MPEG player

I note the GStreamer plugins I worked with are the ones that are pure
open source without patent encumbrances
The so called "GOOD" plugin set that is distributed by default.

You can of course load the "BAD" plugin sets which contain codec that
let you playback MPEG and other
video/audio encoding that normally you'd need a license or pay a fee
for...  I personally have not confirmed if
they would work, but I don't see why not since the entire theory of
the GStreamer effort is to isolate the programmer/user
from what the plugins have to do.

Lastly GStreamer C objects use reference counting for GC purposes and
are thus tightly coupled to their Smalltalk Instances and
Finalization, I *think* it all works, no complaint yet....

On Jun 4, 2008, at 1:05 PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> John M McIntosh a écrit :
>> Take a look at the GStreamer work that I did
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/GStreamer.html
>

> Looks promising. This is portable ?
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> http://blog.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] Webcam in Squeak (Videoflow)

Derek O'Connell-2
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I use the WebCamMorph (which used sqWebCam.dll) the video is
> fast enough but the colors are totally screwed up.
> Changine the display depth and endianess didn't help. Camera is working with
> other programs. Must be a Squeak issue since using the MCI in C# works perfect.

This will be because the video format is not RGB24. There is an option
in the halo menu to set the format but out of handful of cheap webcams
I own only one has RGB24.