[squeak-dev] What video capturing software do you use?

[squeak-dev] What video capturing software do you use?

David Faught
Andreas Raab wrote:
>Just a quick question: I know some of you have made videos of Squeak and
>I'd like to give that a shot myself (via Vimeo etc). What software do
>you use to create such videos? I'm in particular interested in anything
>that works on PCs and where you can do voice-overs afterwards (I'm not
>good at doing and talking at the same time when I need to concentrate ;-)

I use CamStudio for capturing video and the regular Windows Movie
Maker for assembling a finished product at whatever resoolution the
online service recommends.  It is better to capture at a higher or
equal resolution to what the finished product will be and downsize it
if necessary in the export from Movie Maker.  I believe that to
syncronize the voice audio in Movie Maker, it may be better to record
it in one long take.  You may have to fiddle with that a bit.  It is
definitely better to capture video with a dual core CPU so that the
capture process only minimally affects the playing process.

The book "The Art of Machinima" by Paul Marino recommends FRAPS for
capturing video, Windows Movie Maker for editing, and VirtualDub for
any final format conversion.  I believe that there is an online forum
for Mahinima that probably has more information, and this has been
discussed in the forums for CMU's Alice too, although the 2.2 version
of Alice has video capture built in.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] What video capturing software do you use?

Ian Trudel-2
2009/7/26 David Faught <[hidden email]>:
> I use CamStudio for capturing video and the regular Windows Movie
> Maker for assembling a finished product at whatever resoolution the
> online service recommends.  It is better to capture at a higher or
> equal resolution to what the finished product will be and downsize it
> if necessary in the export from Movie Maker.  I believe that to
> syncronize the voice audio in Movie Maker, it may be better to record
> it in one long take.  You may have to fiddle with that a bit.  It is
> definitely better to capture video with a dual core CPU so that the
> capture process only minimally affects the playing process.

It's also possible to properly mix audio with
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ . It's a great tool!

By the way, Andreas, CamStudio supports screen captions and you might
not have to talk at all! =)

Ian.
--
http://mecenia.blogspot.com/