[squeak-dev] country code -> language

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi guys,
anybody knows where do I found a table to match ISO country codes to language
codes?
like:

US -> EN
UK -> EN
AU -> EN
BR -> PT
PT -> PT
ES -> ES
AR -> ES
and so on for all this planet?
thanks
sebastian
PD: I dont need klingon codes so far :^)

Re: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Adrian Lienhard
Hm, I wonder how you would map Switzerland. We have four official
languages... (and there are certainly many other countries that have
more than one language).

Adrian

On May 12, 2009, at 15:27 , Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Hi guys,
> anybody knows where do I found a table to match ISO country codes to
> language
> codes?
> like:
>
> US -> EN
> UK -> EN
> AU -> EN
> BR -> PT
> PT -> PT
> ES -> ES
> AR -> ES
> and so on for all this planet?
> thanks
> sebastian
> PD: I dont need klingon codes so far :^)

Re: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Frank Shearar
Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> Hm, I wonder how you would map Switzerland. We have four official
> languages... (and there are certainly many other countries that have
> more than one language).
>
> Adrian

Or South Africa, with our _eleven_ official languages.

frank

> On May 12, 2009, at 15:27 , Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>> anybody knows where do I found a table to match ISO country codes to
>> language
>> codes?
>> like:
>>
>> US -> EN
>> UK -> EN
>> AU -> EN
>> BR -> PT
>> PT -> PT
>> ES -> ES
>> AR -> ES
>> and so on for all this planet?
>> thanks
>> sebastian
>> PD: I dont need klingon codes so far :^)

Re: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Randal L. Schwartz

Frank> Or South Africa, with our _eleven_ official languages.

Does one of *those* include Klingon?

:-)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Brent Pinkney-2
On Tuesday 12 May 2009 17:05, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Frank> Or South Africa, with our _eleven_ official languages.
>
> Does one of *those* include Klingon?
No
Nee
Cha

Brent

RE: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Sebastian Sastre-2
I know some countries have more that one language.
I supose I'd choose the one culturally considered as predominant.
Among those four there is one around there?
sebastian

johnmci
Well the locale plugin messed about with this, so you want to view
ISO 3166
http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements

ISO 639
http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langcodes.html
http://www.w3.org/International/

On 12-May-09, at 6:27 AM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Hi guys,
> anybody knows where do I found a table to match ISO country codes to
> language
> codes?
> like:
>
> US -> EN
> UK -> EN
> AU -> EN
> BR -> PT
> PT -> PT
> ES -> ES
> AR -> ES
> and so on for all this planet?
> thanks
> sebastian
> PD: I dont need klingon codes so far :^)

--
=
=

RE: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Sebastian Sastre-2
> Or South Africa, with our _eleven_ official languages.
>
> frank
Hi Frank, sure but which one is the one reasonable to use for the industrialized
market?
sebastian

RE: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Sebastian Sastre-2
thanks for the references Jhon,
and all for the patience in this kind of off topic subject
cheers,
sebastian

Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>> Or South Africa, with our _eleven_ official languages.
>>
>> frank
>>
> Hi Frank, sure but which one is the one reasonable to use for the industrialized
> market?
> sebastian

Answering seriously, I'd have to say English (and not just because
that's my first language). Outside of South Africa, Afrikaans is
understandable by the Dutch & Belgians, but there are, as far as I know,
very few speakers of Xhosa, Zulu, Venda, etc.

frank

Re: [squeak-dev] country code -> language

Philippe Marschall
2009/5/12 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
> I know some countries have more that one language.
> I supose I'd choose the one culturally considered as predominant.

That has the potential of pissing of all the others, just saying.

Cheers
Philippe

Philippe> 2009/5/12 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>> I know some countries have more that one language.
>> I supose I'd choose the one culturally considered as predominant.

Philippe> That has the potential of pissing of all the others, just saying.

Yeah, pretty naive.

I mean, if you don't provide mx_es for the states of the US near the border,
you're already losing.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

[squeak-dev] Re: country code -> language

Paolo Bonzini-2
Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2009/5/12 Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]>:
>> I know some countries have more that one language.
>> I supose I'd choose the one culturally considered as predominant.
>
> That has the potential of pissing of all the others, just saying.

In Switzerland, definitely.  Some people may not even understand you if
you choose German as the default language for Switzerland.

Paolo