[squeak-dev] how to extract the audio from .pr?

[squeak-dev] how to extract the audio from .pr?

Felipe López Toledo
Hi guys

I'm a newbie using squeak,
I'm having some troubles, perhaps you could help me :)

I would like to extract the audio files from a squeak Open Learning
Exchange Nepal activity (.pr file).

In the past I exported some images from the .pr file using the
"export" button. In the "sound library" I didn't find a way to do
that. could you please give me a hand?

thanks guys

felipe

Re: [squeak-dev] how to extract the audio from .pr?

Karl Ramberg
On 2009-07-12 18:56, Felipe López Toledo wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I'm a newbie using squeak,
> I'm having some troubles, perhaps you could help me :)
>
> I would like to extract the audio files from a squeak Open Learning
> Exchange Nepal activity (.pr file).
>
> In the past I exported some images from the .pr file using the
> "export" button. In the "sound library" I didn't find a way to do
> that. could you please give me a hand?
>
> thanks guys
>
> felipe

Hi,
there is no easy way to export these sounds, that I know of.
If you look at AbstractSound in category file i/o you will find methods
to file the sounds out.

Let me know if you need more help

cheers,
Karl

Re: [squeak-dev] how to extract the audio from .pr?

K. K. Subramaniam
On Sunday 12 Jul 2009 10:26:57 pm Felipe López Toledo wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'm a newbie using squeak,
> I'm having some troubles, perhaps you could help me :)
>
> I would like to extract the audio files from a squeak Open Learning
> Exchange Nepal activity (.pr file).
AFAIK, there are no ready-made methods to export sound in any compressed
formats. The sound library in SampledSound class stores sounds as raw 8-
bit/16-bit samples. The class has methods to read WAV and AIFF files but no
corresponding write methods :-(. You could write out raw samples from the
sound clip in the library and then use sound conversion utilities on the host
to convert samples to WAV, mp3 etc.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: [squeak-dev] how to extract the audio from .pr?

Felipe López Toledo
Hi Subramaniam

>You could write out raw samples from the
>sound clip in the library
Excellent!, I can convert it, the part that I didn't know was how to extract the audio. I'll try it using SampledSound class. Thanks.

felipe
2009/7/15 K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]>
On Sunday 12 Jul 2009 10:26:57 pm Felipe López Toledo wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'm a newbie using squeak,
> I'm having some troubles, perhaps you could help me :)
>
> I would like to extract the audio files from a squeak Open Learning
> Exchange Nepal activity (.pr file).
AFAIK, there are no ready-made methods to export sound in any compressed
formats. The sound library in SampledSound class stores sounds as raw 8-
bit/16-bit samples. The class has methods to read WAV and AIFF files but no
corresponding write methods :-(. You could write out raw samples from the
sound clip in the library and then use sound conversion utilities on the host
to convert samples to WAV, mp3 etc.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: [squeak-dev] how to extract the audio from .pr?

Stéphane Rollandin
SampledSound is a subclass of AbstractSound, so you get all its
#store... methods, such as #storeWAVOnFileNamed: or #storeAIFFOnFileNamed:

Stef