[squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-12-03

[squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-12-03

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

-    Attending: Bert, Craig, Edgar, Igor, Randal, and Yoshiki. Absent:
      Giovanni. We meet on first and third Wednesdays.

-    Yoshiki reports progress from Matthew Fulmer on Squeak 4 (see [1]).

-    Randal says there's been no change on the "captcha" issue[2],
      because he's been too busy himself.

-    Craig received a recent invoice for Squeak's servers, hasn't
      finished taking over the payments.

-    Randal suggests changing the licensing page on the Squeak website
      to mention the unacceptability of the GPL for Squeak contributions.
      The consensus was to make it clear that we accept only MIT-licensed
      contributions, leaving discussion of all other licenses to a
      Frequently-Aaked Questions page (featuring heavy use of the word
      "no" :).

      We expect to formalize the license situation via future membership
      with the Software Freedom Conservancy, after we can deliver to them
      our impending attempt at a license-clean release, Squeak 4.

      thanks again,

-C

[1]

      Matthew, via Yoshiki:

      "I worked on this three days last week. I started with your 3.10
history image, made a file containing all the dirty methods, and
now I'm annotating it with every change you made to etoys, to
see what would still need relicensing after I applied your etoys
3.2 changes, and whether they would apply cleanly. So far, I
have gone through about 4 of your 10 etoys changesets.

      My plan is something like this:

-    Check to see what yoshiki's changesets don't cover (40% done)
-    Apply yoshiki's changesets to 3.10, carefully
-    Confirm and fix the licensing status of new modules in 3.10:
      -    Traits (almost certainly clean)
      -    Universes (probably clean)
      -    Monticello (yikes)
-    Do whatever I missed above

[2]

      From the 2008-11-19 meeting:

      Randal says there's been no progress mentioned by the web team,
since the last meeting, in setting up a "captcha" system for community
communication with the leadership team via web mail. He says he'll take
the lead on implementing it. In the meantime, please send agenda item
suggestions to Craig.

Re: [squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-12-03

Damien Cassou-3
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     Randal says there's been no progress mentioned by the web team, since
> the last meeting, in setting up a "captcha" system for community
> communication with the leadership team via web mail. He says he'll take the
> lead on implementing it. In the meantime, please send agenda item
> suggestions to Craig.

Some years ago, I implemented a Captcha system for SmallWiki
2. You can download it from http://www.squeaksource.com/SW2Captcha.
You won't be able to load it because it depends on SmallWiki 2, but
you should be able to file in the only class that might interest you:
LetterWrapper, based on Morphic. If you can't, please tell me and I
will do my best to send a st file.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: [squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-12-03

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 12/4/08 7:02 AM, "Damien Cassou" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Some years ago, I implemented a Captcha system for SmallWiki
> 2. You can download it from http://www.squeaksource.com/SW2Captcha.
> You won't be able to load it because it depends on SmallWiki 2, but
> you should be able to file in the only class that might interest you:
> LetterWrapper, based on Morphic. If you can't, please tell me and I
> will do my best to send a st file.

Could be used into Pier ?
I take a look, could find good ideas from you.

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-12-03

Janko Mivšek
Hi Damien,

Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>     Randal says there's been no progress mentioned by the web team, since
>> the last meeting, in setting up a "captcha" system for community
>> communication with the leadership team via web mail. He says he'll take the
>> lead on implementing it. In the meantime, please send agenda item
>> suggestions to Craig.
>
> Some years ago, I implemented a Captcha system for SmallWiki
> 2. You can download it from http://www.squeaksource.com/SW2Captcha.
> You won't be able to load it because it depends on SmallWiki 2, but
> you should be able to file in the only class that might interest you:
> LetterWrapper, based on Morphic. If you can't, please tell me and I
> will do my best to send a st file.

It is not problem the Captcha (which is already implemented), but lack
of few more time finishing the Contact Us scriblet. See how far it is
currently:

        http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si/ContactUs/

What we need to do yet is to add emailing to appropriate mailing lists.
Sounds simple but for this you need time too.

If anyone is willing to help, here is the code of entire SqueakSite:

        http://mc.bioskop.fr/SqueakSite

You can start basically from one-click Aida/Scribo beta image and load
SqueakSite on top. More on http://www.aidaweb.si, see Download and
Community subpages.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-12-03

Damien Cassou-3
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could be used into Pier ?

Not as such but could be adapted easily I think.

On 04/12/2008, at 10:02, Damien Cassou wrote:

Not as such but could be adapted easily I think.

Very thanks, good lead

Edgar

Re: [squeak-dev] leadership team meeting notes for 2008-12-03

Karl Ramberg
Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Damien,
>
> Damien Cassou wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>     Randal says there's been no progress mentioned by the web team,
>>> since
>>> the last meeting, in setting up a "captcha" system for community
>>> communication with the leadership team via web mail. He says he'll
>>> take the
>>> lead on implementing it. In the meantime, please send agenda item
>>> suggestions to Craig.
>>
>> Some years ago, I implemented a Captcha system for SmallWiki
>> 2. You can download it from http://www.squeaksource.com/SW2Captcha.
>> You won't be able to load it because it depends on SmallWiki 2, but
>> you should be able to file in the only class that might interest you:
>> LetterWrapper, based on Morphic. If you can't, please tell me and I
>> will do my best to send a st file.
>>

> It is not problem the Captcha (which is already implemented), but lack
> of few more time finishing the Contact Us scriblet. See how far it is
> currently:
>
>     http://squeaksite.aidaweb.si/ContactUs/
>
> What we need to do yet is to add emailing to appropriate mailing
> lists. Sounds simple but for this you need time too.
>
> If anyone is willing to help, here is the code of entire SqueakSite:
>
>     http://mc.bioskop.fr/SqueakSite
>
> You can start basically from one-click Aida/Scribo beta image and load
> SqueakSite on top. More on http://www.aidaweb.si, see Download and
> Community subpages.
>
> Best regards
> Janko

I don't know if it is a good idea but it used to be possible to mail out
directly from for example the debugger to the mailing list.
Could you just use that method  to sent the mail ?
Sounds kind of insecure and scary .... ;-)

Karl