[squeak-dev] loading VM for the Mac

Trygve
Hi all,
I am expecting a visit from a Mac user and try to prepare for the installation of Squeak on his machine. The task proves too hard for my limited brain.

I go to http://www.squeak.org/Download/

First I try to download latest release for Mac. I get a Zip file with two directories:
    __MACOSX
and
   Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic

A subdirectory of the first is a different Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic. I find the other subdirectories utterly confusing.

Is this supposed to be the simplest entry into Squeak for a Mac user? Surely a README file would be useful here.

The Download page also has links into the individual files. I now have to choose between MacOSX (Universal) and MacOS 7.5.5 to 9.2. A Mac user would know what to choose here. I hope the choice isn't the latter, because MacOS 7.5.5 to 9.2 is a dead link. MacOSX (Universal) lead to the above mentioned two subdirectories, but with different contents?

May be all this is perfectly clear to a Mac user. I'll find out when my friend gets here.

Cheers
--Trygve

Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: [hidden email]

Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver

N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27

Norway

Re: [squeak-dev] loading VM for the Mac

Randal L. Schwartz

Trygve> I am expecting a visit from a Mac user and try to prepare for the installation
Trygve> of Squeak on his machine. The task proves too hard for my limited brain.

Trygve> I go to http://www.squeak.org/Download/

Trygve> First I try to download latest release for Mac. I get a Zip file with two
Trygve> directories:
Trygve>    __MACOSX
Trygve> and
Trygve>   Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic

You downloaded the link in the light green box in the right column, labelled
"mac"?

Trying that now.

I get a folder named ~/Downloads/Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic

and inside that, I see the vm, .image, .changes, and .sources file.

Maybe you have a bizarre unzipper.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: [squeak-dev] loading VM for the Mac

Javier Diaz-Reinoso
On 11/01/2009, at 11:27, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am expecting a visit from a Mac user and try to prepare for the
> installation of Squeak on his machine. The task proves too hard for
> my limited brain.
>
> I go to http://www.squeak.org/Download/
>
> First I try to download latest release for Mac. I get a Zip file
> with two directories:
>     __MACOSX
> and
>    Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic
>
> A subdirectory of the first is a different Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.
> I find the other subdirectories utterly confusing.
>
> Is this supposed to be the simplest entry into Squeak for a Mac
> user? Surely a README file would be useful here.
>
> The Download page also has links into the individual files. I now
> have to choose between MacOSX (Universal) and MacOS 7.5.5 to 9.2. A
> Mac user would know what to choose here. I hope the choice isn't the
> latter, because MacOS 7.5.5 to 9.2 is a dead link. MacOSX
> (Universal) lead to the above mentioned two subdirectories, but with
> different contents?
>
> May be all this is perfectly clear to a Mac user. I'll find out when
> my friend gets here.
>
> Cheers
> --Trygve
>
> --
> Trygve Reenskaug       mailto: [hidden email]
> Morgedalsvn. 5A         http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~trygver
> N-0378 Oslo               Tel: (+47) 22 49 57 27
> Norway

That is because you are expanding the .zip in Windows, the __MACOSX
directory is an invisible directory created by the Mac OS for extra
files used by the Finder.

The other directory is an .app, that is the VM is a "bundle", the
trick is in the mac the finder shows the bundle as one file not as a
directory.

So expand the .zip in a mac, don't bother with windows.

Re: [squeak-dev] loading VM for the Mac

johnmci

On 11-Jan-09, at 9:19 AM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso wrote:

>> The Download page also has links into the individual files. I now
>> have to choose between MacOSX (Universal) and MacOS 7.5.5 to 9.2. A
>> Mac user would know what to choose here. I hope the choice isn't
>> the latter, because MacOS 7.5.5 to 9.2 is a dead link. MacOSX
>> (Universal) lead to the above mentioned two subdirectories, but
>> with different contents?

I note

http://www.squeak.org/Download/

the link MacOS 7.5.5 to 9.2
is in fact broken
looks like some remove the file

http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/mac/Squeak%203.8.9beta7.app.sit

If someone can copy the sit file from

http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/FileSharing.html

that would be helpful.

Also I note the Squeak 3.8.20beta1U.app.zip
is the most current VM and I think can be distributed now, you can
find a copy at

ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/Squeak%203.8.20beta1U.app.zip

I note in one place (the green downloads pane) we point to the 3.10
directory
  http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/mac/Squeak3.10.2-7179mac.zip
which btw contains a Squeak 3.8.18beta3U.app.zip
but the
MacoSX (Universal) we point to http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/mac/Squeak%203.8.18beta1U.app.zip

I would think the MacoSX (Universal) should point to the 3.10 directory?
Also pointing and using the 3.8.20beta1U VM would be helpful

--
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] loading VM for the Mac

Raymond Asselin-3
Le 11/01/09, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> écrivait :

>ftp://ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/Squeak%203.8.20beta1U.app.zip
Hi John,

dont know what happens but when trying to download this file I got these messages

"
220 smalltalkconsulting.com NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
USER anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
PASS ********
230-You are user #2 of 8 simultaneous users allowed.
230-
230 Logged in anonymously.
NOOP
200 No-op okay. Your session will timeout in 44 minutes and 59 seconds.
TYPE I
200 Type okay.
SIZE /Squeak 3.8.20beta1U.app.zip
213 3070396
----
"

Is this having to do with the Unix permission of the file ?

I can download any other files except this one...

Thanks  and happy new year

Ray

Re: [squeak-dev] loading VM for the Mac

Giuseppe
Same here.

But since He solve it, you can download from his iDisk.

Cheers.

El 11/01/2009, a las 19:52, Raymond Asselin escribió:

[...]

Yes, a permissions problem, I've chmod the file so it should be
downloadable now

--
=
=