[squeak-dev] towards Alien in trunk

Michael Haupt-3
Hi,

this has somehow been swept under the carpet, where it clearly doesn't belong.

I have uploaded Compiler-mha.76.mcz to the *Inbox* - please install it
in a safe place and check whether things break.

This patch contains an implementation of Parser >> #pragmaLiteral:
(once contributed by Eliot) and another change in the Compiler that
invokes this new method instead of the old one (which did not take any
arguments).

After that, I was able to install, without errors, the required Alien
packages in their most recent versions in an up-to-date *trunk* image.
This took place on a Mac using John's 4.2.1beta1U VM.

That is, install as follows:
1. install my Compiler patch
2. install Alien-Core-First
3. install Alien-Core
4. install Alien-Examples
5. install Alien-LibC
6. install Alien-CoreTest
7. install Alien-Last-Class-Initialize

The tests fail. I could not find any Alien libraries in the VM
resources, so probably that's the reason. John, what needs to be done
to get the library in there?

Alien would be nice to have, right?

Best,

Michael

[squeak-dev] Re: towards Alien in trunk

Michael Haupt-3
Hi again,

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Michael Haupt<[hidden email]> wrote:
> After that, I was able to install, without errors, the required Alien
> packages in their most recent versions in an up-to-date *trunk* image. ...

oh well. I was just informed that there was a package called
"AlienLoader" that would take care of loading the required things and
initialising them properly. Having tried this, it seems there is a
strong dependency on "ScriptLoader". Is that available in Squeak, or
is it a Pharo-only thing?

> I could not find any Alien libraries in the VM
> resources, so probably that's the reason. John, what needs to be done
> to get the library in there?

Heh. :-) I was looking for something that clearly said "I'm the Alien
library" - and IA32ABI.bundle didn't yell it at me. Which would have
been necessary, apparently. OK, so the VM is complete.

Best,

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: towards Alien in trunk

Tim Felgentreff

On 1 Sep 2009, at 23:33, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Michael Haupt<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> After that, I was able to install, without errors, the required Alien
>> packages in their most recent versions in an up-to-date *trunk*
>> image. ...
>
> oh well. I was just informed that there was a package called
> "AlienLoader" that would take care of loading the required things and
> initialising them properly. Having tried this, it seems there is a
> strong dependency on "ScriptLoader". Is that available in Squeak, or
> is it a Pharo-only thing?

ScriptLoader is available in the trunk repository, however, it is the
reason for a test failure with an undeclared symbol and apparently it
is being replaced by MCMUpdater. Don't know what the state of it is.

Regards, Tim

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: towards Alien in trunk

Igor Stasenko
Michael, can i ask you kindly, to try using installer to write an
installation script?
Or, if you don't want to use it,
can you send me a list of packages and the order they should be loaded?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: towards Alien in trunk

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Igor,

well, of course ScriptLoader is in the image. :-P (Never write e-mails
late at night.)

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Igor Stasenko<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Michael, can i ask you kindly, to try using installer to write an
> installation script?
> Or, if you don't want to use it,
> can you send me a list of packages and the order they should be loaded?

I'm not opposed to using Installer at all. Let's meet at ESUG today, shall we?

Best,

Michael

Re: [squeak-dev] towards Alien in trunk

johnmci
? I see that IA32ABI.bundle is in the mac 4.2.1beta1U VM's resource
folder.
If you alter the info.plist and flip SqueakDebug to 1  from zero
it will print lots of stuff related to loading of bundles to the
Console Log which might help tell us why
it doesn't work for you.

Still jet-lagged at ESUG, and busy with my Wed 17:00 speech, otherwise
I'd look..

Also anyone else try this, does fail for every mac user?

--
=
=

Re: [squeak-dev] towards Alien in trunk

Michael Haupt-3
Hi John,

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM, John M
McIntosh<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ? I see that IA32ABI.bundle is in the mac 4.2.1beta1U VM's resource folder.

yes, that was my fault. Sorry about that.

> If you alter the info.plist and flip SqueakDebug to 1  from zero
> it will print lots of stuff related to loading of bundles to the Console Log
> which might help tell us why it doesn't work for you.

I get this when I run all the Alien tests:

02.09.09 09:41:23 [0x0-0x414414].org.squeak.Squeak[11218] tryLoading
/Users/haupt/Squeak/Squeak
4.2.1beta1U.app/Contents/Resources/IA32ABI.bundle/Contents/MacOS/IA32ABI
02.09.09 09:41:23 [0x0-0x414414].org.squeak.Squeak[11218]
ioFindExternalFunctionIn(getModuleName, 2363536)

Best,

Michael

On 2-Sep-09, at 9:42 AM, Michael Haupt wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM, John M
> McIntosh<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ? I see that IA32ABI.bundle is in the mac 4.2.1beta1U VM's resource
>> folder.
>
> yes, that was my fault. Sorry about that.

Eliot is guilty for picking the name, I thnk it's short for intel
architecture 32 bit call interface.

>> If you alter the info.plist and flip SqueakDebug to 1  from zero
>> it will print lots of stuff related to loading of bundles to the
>> Console Log
>> which might help tell us why it doesn't work for you.
>
> I get this when I run all the Alien tests:
>
> 02.09.09 09:41:23 [0x0-0x414414].org.squeak.Squeak[11218] tryLoading
> /Users/haupt/Squeak/Squeak
> 4.2.1beta1U.app/Contents/Resources/IA32ABI.bundle/Contents/MacOS/
> IA32ABI
> 02.09.09 09:41:23 [0x0-0x414414].org.squeak.Squeak[11218]
> ioFindExternalFunctionIn(getModuleName, 2363536)

For diagnostic interpretation the 'tryLoading' line prints the path
were it tries to load the module.
Since it's found we don't bother looking in the dozen or so other
places it could be.
If there was a loader error then it would have printed the error code
and any error string from the unix dynamic loader api.
The ioFindExternalFunctionIn shows that we asked to resolve the name
'getModuleName' in the binary to get an entry point address.

--
=
=