[squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

[squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

richardsnow
I tried to build the sources and ran into a couple problems.  first it
was trying to use decgcc.  Fixed that in the configure script.

SqMain.c (i think) was trying to include sys/proc.h and I don't have that file.

http://mypals.info

Re: [squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

Alan Grimes-2
richard snow wrote:
> I tried to build the sources and ran into a couple problems.  first it
> was trying to use decgcc.  Fixed that in the configure script.

Dear god, man! where did you find such an incredible piece of hardware?

I feel like you're trying to drive me to drinking by reminding me yet
again of how beautiful CPUs could have been but aren't. =(

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.

Re: [squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

marcelo Cortez

richard

 may be emerge gentoo-sources can be help
best
mdc

> was trying to use decgcc.  Fixed that in the configure
> script.
>
> SqMain.c (i think) was trying to include sys/proc.h and I
> don't have that file.
>
> --
> http://mypals.info

Correo Yahoo!

Re: [squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 11:05:05PM -0500, richard snow wrote:
> I tried to build the sources and ran into a couple problems.  first it
> was trying to use decgcc.  Fixed that in the configure script.
>
> SqMain.c (i think) was trying to include sys/proc.h and I don't have that file.

You will find this #include directive in platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c,
which includes the proc.h header #if defined(__alpha__). Given that the
build procedure was also trying to use a DEC compiler, my guess is that
the the configure/make is trying to build for some other flavor of unix
on alpha. You may just need to convince the configure script that you
want to use a generic gnu linux running on Alpha.

You may want to ask your question on the vm-dev mailing list
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/vm-dev), where
someone more knowledgable can tell you if I'm guessing right. In any
case, any updates to support alpha hardware will certainly be welcome.

Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Alan Grimes <[hidden email]> wrote:
richard snow wrote:
> I tried to build the sources and ran into a couple problems.  first it
> was trying to use decgcc.  Fixed that in the configure script.

Dear god, man! where did you find such an incredible piece of hardware?

I feel like you're trying to drive me to drinking by reminding me yet
again of how beautiful CPUs could have been but aren't. =(

(slowly getting off-topic here :-) )

Is it only the x86 architecture that is ugly? I found the ARM and MIPS instruction set quite nice. The ES-40 looks like a rather large piece of equipment to have in your living room.

My latest materialistic desire: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/ - the TouchBook, which is based on the BeagleBoard and runs Linux. It uses an ARM CPU with a Cortex-A8 core; it includes support for the Thumb-EE instruction set which is specifically designed for running code generated by JIT compilers. There's potential there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#Thumb_Execution_Environment_.28ThumbEE.29

Realistically though, I have no use for it and Squeak runs fine on my old celeron-based desktop.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: [squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

Alan Grimes-2
> My latest materialistic desire: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/ - the
> TouchBook, which is based on the BeagleBoard and runs Linux. It uses an
> ARM CPU with a Cortex-A8 core; it includes support for the Thumb-EE
> instruction set which is specifically designed for running code
> generated by JIT compilers. There's potential there.

Bleh,

I'm only in the market for workstations.

Intel seems to have some mafia-like control over the chip industry and
has locked out all other ISA's from the workstation market, at any sane
price-point at least.

Last time I went shopping for an Alpha, I was quoted a price of $11,000
=(((((

Even still, much of the stuff on that board was out of date. =(

Now they don't even exist. =((

--
New president: Here we go again...
Chemistry.com: A total rip-off.
Powers are not rights.

Re: [squeak-dev] want to get squeak running on Gentoo Alpha architecture (compaq es-40)

richardsnow
I bought my Alpha for $750 on Ebay.  has 4 cpu ev67, 4GB ram

--
http://mypals.info