squeak-(dev/web) browse protocol

Jimmie Houchin-3
Hello,

I am using the squeak-dev squeak-web images. Thank you Damien.

But I am not finding the browse protocol in the browser menu in some of
the browsers. I love using the browse protocol as it gives me all the
methods available to the class up to a chosen super class. So much nicer
than looking at each individual super class up the hierarchy.

I've notice some of the browser options have the browse protocol option,
some do not. It seems to me that it would be nice if all browsers
supported such.

When I open "class browsers" for the first time it presents me with the
options of Browser, PackagePaneBrowser, RefactoringBrowser and
OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.

When I select one it seems to become the default. How can I change the
default? Also, it seems that I always have the PackagePaneBrowser and
the RefactoringBrowser available in the "open" menu, but not the Browser
or the OBSystemBrowserAdaptor. Would it be reasonable to always have all
the browser options available in some menu, until such a time that we
have a consolidation of browsers or the selection of a chosen browser
which fulfills everyones desires. :)

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: squeak-(dev/web) browse protocol

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Jimmie,

2007/5/16, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>:
> I am using the squeak-dev squeak-web images. Thank you Damien.
>
> But I am not finding the browse protocol in the browser menu in some of
> the browsers. I love using the browse protocol as it gives me all the
> methods available to the class up to a chosen super class. So much nicer
> than looking at each individual super class up the hierarchy.

I don't know what is the browse protocol. Where did you find it before ?

> When I select one it seems to become the default. How can I change the
> default?

Just click on the icon, top-left of each browser. You have an option
to change the default.

> Also, it seems that I always have the PackagePaneBrowser and
> the RefactoringBrowser available in the "open" menu, but not the Browser
> or the OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.

OBSystemBrowser is named 'Image browser' in the open window.

>Would it be reasonable to always have all
> the browser options available in some menu, until such a time that we
> have a consolidation of browsers or the selection of a chosen browser
> which fulfills everyones desires. :)

I hope OBSystemBrowser will soon be that browser.

Damien Cassou

Re: squeak-(dev/web) browse protocol

Bert Freudenberg

On May 16, 2007, at 7:38 , Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi Jimmie,
>
> 2007/5/16, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>:
>> I am using the squeak-dev squeak-web images. Thank you Damien.
>>
>> But I am not finding the browse protocol in the browser menu in
>> some of
>> the browsers. I love using the browse protocol as it gives me all the
>> methods available to the class up to a chosen super class. So much
>> nicer
>> than looking at each individual super class up the hierarchy.
>

> I don't know what is the browse protocol. Where did you find it
> before ?

In any regular browser's class list press Cmd-p, or choose "browse
protocol" from the menu. I don't use it very often (because I know
the system well already) but when I need it, it is immensely useful.

- Bert -

2007/5/16, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> On May 16, 2007, at 7:38 , Damien Cassou wrote:
> > 2007/5/16, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>:
> >> I am using the squeak-dev squeak-web images. Thank you Damien.
> >>
> >> But I am not finding the browse protocol in the browser menu in
> >> some of
> >> the browsers. I love using the browse protocol as it gives me all the
> >> methods available to the class up to a chosen super class. So much
> >> nicer
> >> than looking at each individual super class up the hierarchy.
> >

> > I don't know what is the browse protocol. Where did you find it
> > before ?
>
> In any regular browser's class list press Cmd-p, or choose "browse
> protocol" from the menu. I don't use it very often (because I know
> the system well already) but when I need it, it is immensely useful.

I didn't about this. Sounds interesting. Is there any documentation
somewhere to know all possibilities? Someone is ready to implement
this in OmniBrowser ? It should be simple.

Damien Cassou

RE: squeak-(dev/web) browse protocol

Ramon Leon-5

> > In any regular browser's class list press Cmd-p, or choose "browse
> > protocol" from the menu. I don't use it very often (because
> I know the
> > system well already) but when I need it, it is immensely useful.
>
> I didn't about this. Sounds interesting. Is there any
> documentation somewhere to know all possibilities? Someone is
> ready to implement this in OmniBrowser ? It should be simple.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou

Whoa, cool, I didn't know about this browser either.  Another nice tool,
there's so much stuff hiding in the image.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: squeak-(dev/web) browse protocol

Duncan Mak-2
On 5/16/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
I didn't about this. Sounds interesting. Is there any documentation
somewhere to know all possibilities? Someone is ready to implement
this in OmniBrowser ? It should be simple.

I too only learned of this browser last week (thanks Scott).

I'm interested in implementating this browser using the OB framework, what would it take to get started?

Duncan.

2007/5/16, Duncan Mak <[hidden email]>:
> On 5/16/07, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm interested in implementating this browser using the OB framework, what
> would it take to get started?

- I advise you to use the last version of OmniBrowser which can be
found in the squeak-dev images for example.

- Then, you'd better read a bit about the framework:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Papers/Berg07cOmnibrowser.pdf
(take care when the paper talks about Actions or Actors because they
are deprecated. Commands replace them).

- You should try to understand simple examples like
http://www.squeaksource.com/FileOmnibrowser (which won't load in a new
image because it uses actors. Use a fresh 3.9 image to load it). You
can also have a look at the package OBUniverse and the class
OBUBrowser. They are present in the squeak-dev images.

- Now it's time to code :-) Ask questions in the mailing list to go faster.

Damien Cassou

On 5/16/07, Duncan Mak <[hidden email]> wrote:
I too only learned of this browser last week (thanks Scott).

I'm interested in implementating this browser using the OB framework, what would it take to get started?

Juraj Kubelka took the initiative yesterday and registered a project on SqueakSource:

After a bit of late night hacking from both of us, we present to you the first working version of OBProtocolBrowser!

Here's the release notes from the DM.6 (latest and greatest!) release:

First functional version of the OBProtocolBrowser

* It works from the class pane, protocol pane, method pane.
* It highlights the current protocol or method, as applicable.
* It shows all methods, along with its defining class name.

Missing features:

* Methods implemented by the current class should be made Bold.
* A filter toggle for protocols and methods are missing.

Colin says that there are substantial improvements in how filtering works in an upcoming release. We might wait for that before implementing these two missing features.

Duncan.

2007/5/20, Duncan Mak <[hidden email]>:

> On 5/16/07, Duncan Mak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I too only learned of this browser last week (thanks Scott).
> >
> > I'm interested in implementating this browser using the OB framework, what
> would it take to get started?
> >

> Juraj Kubelka took the initiative yesterday and registered a project on
> SqueakSource:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/OBProtocolBrowser.html
>
> After a bit of late night hacking from both of us, we present to you the
> first working version of OBProtocolBrowser!
>
> Here's the release notes from the DM.6 (latest and greatest!) release:
>
> First functional version of the OBProtocolBrowser
>
> * It works from the class pane, protocol pane, method pane.
> * It highlights the current protocol or method, as applicable.
> * It shows all methods, along with its defining class name.
>
> Missing features:
>
> * Methods implemented by the current class should be made Bold.
> * A filter toggle for protocols and methods are missing.
>
> Colin says that there are substantial improvements in how filtering works in
> an upcoming release. We might wait for that before implementing these two
> missing features.

I think Colin did that improvement some days ago.

Would you please create your own thread on this mailing list to
announce your browser and its features? And can you publish your work
on Universe to ease installation please? I can help you if you need.

Thank you for your work.

--
Damien Cassou