squeak on ubuntu linux

Liliana-2

Hi,

We have an Intel dual core 64 bit server where we installed Ubuntu 7.04

We are all new in Squeak/Smalltalk; but we managed to develop a small Seaside app in Squeak (on Windows XP) using Squeak 3.9 and Seaside 2.7 (latest).

We would now like to install this image on the linux server and run seaside there, under Apache.

I read quite a few of posts and Ramon Leon’s blog on how to get a squeak/seaside headless vm working on Linux; but we are all but confused; and didn’t manage to get anywhere.

Questions:

1.       Do we need x-windows, or not (we will not do development on the linux server)?

2.       Is there a squeak vm we can download  or do we have to build from source for Intel dual-core? ( we tried both versions and neither works)

The debian packages at:

 http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ stable main

don’t seem to work for linux running on intel dual core and we downloaded Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.tar from http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/

With this last one installed we get the error:

“could not find module vm-display-X11”

When we run:

squeak -headless groupinvestment.image

(where groupinvestment.image is our Windows build image containing seaside and our web site)

And when we run:

squeak -nodisplay groupinvestment.image

we get:

Segmentation fault

45396408 SmalltalkImage>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:

45396316 SmalltalkImage>snapshot:andQuit:

45396224 SmalltalkImage>saveSession

45396040 TheWorldMenu>doMenuItem:with:

45395948 [] in MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:

45395856 BlockContext>ensure:

45395764 Cursor>showWhile:

45395552 MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:

45395460 MenuItemMorph>mouseUp:

45395368 MenuItemMorph>handleMouseUp:

45395236 MouseButtonEvent>sentTo:

45395144 Morph>handleEvent:

45395052 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchDefault:with:

45394960 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:

45394868 Morph>processEvent:using:

45394776 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchDefault:with:

45394668 MorphicEventDispatcher>dispatchEvent:with:

45394536 Morph>processEvent:using:

45394444 Morph>processEvent:

45394352 MenuMorph>handleFocusEvent:

45394076 [] in HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:

45394168 [] in PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring:

45393984 BlockContext>on:do:

45393892 PasteUpMorph>becomeActiveDuring:

45393708 HandMorph>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:

45393616 HandMorph>sendEvent:focus:clear:

45393524 HandMorph>sendMouseEvent:

45393380 HandMorph>handleEvent:

45393072 HandMorph>processEvents

45393164 [] in WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:

45392980 SequenceableCollection>do:

45392888 WorldState>handsDo:

45392796 WorldState>doOneCycleNowFor:

45392704 WorldState>doOneCycleFor:

45392612 PasteUpMorph>doOneCycle

34840512 [] in >spawnNewProcess

34840696 [] in BlockContext>newProcess

Aborted

Thank you for any help you could give us

Liliana Ivan

[hidden email]

012 663 3140

Finworks

Re: squeak on ubuntu linux

Michael van der Gulik-3
Hi Liliana.

Liliana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an Intel dual core 64 bit server where we installed Ubuntu 7.04
>
> We are all new in Squeak/Smalltalk; but we managed to develop a small
> Seaside app in Squeak (on Windows XP) using Squeak 3.9 and Seaside 2.7
> (latest).
>
> We would now like to install this image on the linux server and run
> seaside there, under Apache.
>
> I read quite a few of posts and Ramon Leon’s blog on how to get a
> squeak/seaside headless vm working on Linux; but we are all but
> confused; and didn’t manage to get anywhere.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do we need x-windows, or not (we will not do development on the
> linux server)?

You should not need X-Windows.

> 2. Is there a squeak vm we can download or do we have to build from
> source for Intel dual-core? ( we tried both versions and neither works)
>
> The debian packages at:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ stable main
>
> don’t seem to work for linux running on intel dual core and we
> downloaded Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.tar from
> http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> With this last one installed we get the error:
>
> “could not find module vm-display-X11”

This means that the VM cannot find that module (to state the obvious...
sorry!); try copying that module (vm-display-X11.la or
vm-display-X11.so) into the same directory as the squeak executable.
Alternatively, you may be having linking problems because you're using
32-bit binaries. While Squeak won't use this plug-in, for some reason it
won't start unless it is present.

I would recommend trying the 64-bit binaries:
http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/. I have used this version of Squeak on
an AMD-64 machine without any problems.

Also note that Squeak currently can't use the dual cores; for now Squeak
can only make use of one core. I don't know about running multiple
images with a load balancer though to increase thoughput; I don't think
that Seaside would support this because it keeps stateful sessions.

> When we run:
>
> squeak -headless groupinvestment.image
>
> (where groupinvestment.image is our Windows build image containing
> seaside and our web site)
>
> And when we run:
>
> squeak -nodisplay groupinvestment.image
>
> we get:
>
> Segmentation fault

I will let somebody else on this list handle this. It may be related to
trying to run a 32-bit binary on a 64-bit machine.

Michael.

Re: squeak on ubuntu linux

Michael van der Gulik-3
Liliana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an Intel dual core 64 bit server where we installed Ubuntu 7.04
>
> We are all new in Squeak/Smalltalk; but we managed to develop a small
> Seaside app in Squeak (on Windows XP) using Squeak 3.9 and Seaside 2.7
> (latest).
>
> We would now like to install this image on the linux server and run
> seaside there, under Apache.
>
> I read quite a few of posts and Ramon Leon’s blog on how to get a
> squeak/seaside headless vm working on Linux; but we are all but
> confused; and didn’t manage to get anywhere.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do we need x-windows, or not (we will not do development on the
> linux server)?

Also - you'll need a way to manage Squeak remotely.

I recommend either using the Squeak VNC server (should be on SqueakMap?)
which many people have had success with, or the REPLServer which is a
telnet server that runs simple Smalltalk commands - an old version is on
SqueakMap, or I've made a nicer version at
http://www.squeaksource.com/SecureSqueak/REPL-mvdg.13.mcz.

Michael.

Re: squeak on ubuntu linux

Liliana-2
From: Michael van der Gulik <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Newbies] squeak on ubuntu linux

Hi Michael.

Thank you for your reply so far...

>>I would recommend trying the 64-bit binaries:
>>http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/. I have used this version of Squeak on
an AMD-64 machine without any problems.

This site has Squeak3.8g-6548...
I understand that our 3.9, 32bit, image should not run under this squeak
anyway?
We did try that build. I can't remember the errors we've got; but it didn't
work. We could try it again and report the errors if need be..

Kind regards,
Liliana

Re: squeak on ubuntu linux

Michael van der Gulik-2
> Hi Michael.
>
> Thank you for your reply so far...

>>I would recommend trying the 64-bit binaries:
>>http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/. I have used this version of Squeak on
> an AMD-64 machine without any problems.
>
> This site has Squeak3.8g-6548...
> I understand that our 3.9, 32bit, image should not run under this squeak
> anyway?
> We did try that build. I can't remember the errors we've got; but it didn't
> work. We could try it again and report the errors if need be..

Yes, please report those errors so we can help you further.

The VM version does not need to match the Image version. In fact, at the
moment I'm running a Squeak VM version 3.3 on my PDA with the 3.8 image,
and it works fine.

The 64-bit VM can run both 32-bit images and 64-bit images. Unfortunately,
I can't remember how this worked. If I remember correctly, you could compile
two binaries - one for 32-bit images and one for 64-bit images.

I also believe that the 64-bit VM was originally made because the 32-bit
VM didn't work at all on 64-bit architectures. Can anybody else confirm
this?

Also make sure that you have the ia32-libs Ubuntu package installed -
this may magically make the 32-bit VMs work.

Michael.