squeak.org latest

Chris Cunnington
http://box3.squeak.org:8624

I've uploaded a new version of the site with a few changes. New welcome
text, a correction in the Innovation section, and a color taken from the
logo.

Chris

Re: squeak.org latest

Edgar De Cleene

On 11/30/12 7:12 PM, "Chris Cunnington" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>
> I've uploaded a new version of the site with a few changes. New welcome
> text, a correction in the Innovation section, and a color taken from the
> logo.
>
> Chris

Very nice and inspirational.
Could copy and suit for SqueakRos , our Bar and Coffee (Spanish group where
all was welcomed http://ar.groups.yahoo.com/group/squeakRos/)

Edgar

Re: squeak.org latest

timrowledge

On 30-11-2012, at 1:12 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>
> I've uploaded a new version of the site with a few changes. New welcome text, a correction in the Innovation section, and a color taken from the logo.

That's getting to look pretty nice I'd say.

Now all that's needed (in the spirit of 'first, build your moonbase') is well-written, up to date, concise material for the content. I know there's a lot of stuff around but last time I took a walk around it there was a *lot* of seriously out of date material. It's hard work to get right but without it there isn't much point in even having a website!

tim
Strange OpCodes: CSD: Charge Surreptitiously to DOE

Re: squeak.org latest

Casey Ransberger-2
And the whole look of the thing. Rude as it might be, the web site does't have the cheery mood that the system has. I really think, and I realize that I'm totally stepping on art that people have made, but the web site ought to tell us something about what we're installing, which in other words means it ought to be really *colorful,* and also FREAKING AWESOME. Like !!sonic screwdriver!! awesome.

Sorry everyone, they let me use a computer again tonight :/

But I did want to ask one thing: has anyone thought about using the colors from the system on the web site?

(Bunkering down against missile strikes from nice people who like the new standard bland!)

Re: squeak.org latest

timrowledge

On 30-11-2012, at 2:30 PM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (Bunkering down against missile strikes from nice people who like the new standard bland!)

The problem is that really strong colours make it really hard to read the content and that tends to obviate the purpose of a site. It *can* work if you have sufficient graphic design talent with sufficient time to do a great deal of work. In general it probably isn't beneficial to have a site that looks like it escaped from the 1970s
Like, for example
http://www.sixtiespress.co.uk/
http://www.pinesol.com/
http://www.supervideo.com/
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/worst-web-design-featured-on-web-pages-that-suck-in-2005.html
and most especially -
http://www.angelfire.com/super/badwebs/

tim
Abdicate (v.), to give up all hope of ever having a flat stomach.

Re: squeak.org latest

Casey Ransberger-2
Hahahahaha yeah I'm sure it doesn't help to have a site that barely escaped the 70s, same time, I'm rockin' some Tom Baker scarves, and here's the thing: Amanda Palmer did the same game, and raised a million dollars on Kickshit doing it.

I'm just sayin, colors are pretty...

On 2012-11-30 5:54 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>   Amanda Palmer did the same game, and raised a million dollars on Kickshit doing it.

Amanda Palmer is exactly what happens when you don't get outside
opinions.  The Dresden Dolls stuff is good. Her solo work? Eek.

The site is a moving target. We'll figure it out. I'd like people to
have opinions all weekend, but I'm going to put down tools until Monday.

Tim has convinced me we must have a scrolling welcome message. Awesome. ;)

Chris

Re: squeak.org latest

timrowledge

On 30-11-2012, at 4:10 PM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim has convinced me we must have a scrolling welcome message. Awesome. ;)

Only if we can have one like on http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/

tim
Strange OpCodes: PMT: Punch Magnetic Tape

SystemTracing updated on SqueakMap

David T. Lewis
I updated the SqueakMap entry for SystemTracing with a new release for
Squeak 4.4. This is the latest version that is being used to trace 64-bit
images on http://box3.squeak.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/

The script that is being used for the 64-bit image trace is
http://box3.squeak.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/ws/TraceTo64.st
and copied below for reference.

Dave

--- cut here ---

"TraceTo64.st - trace a 32-bit image to 64-bit object format"
"7 November 2012 dtl"

"Use a local copy of a Monticello source file for SystemTracer obtained
from the repository at http://www.squeaksource.com/SystemTracing"
systemTracerSource := 'SystemTracing-dtl.24.mcz'.

"Do everything in a temporary change set. This allows the change records
to be removed from the traced image after tracing is complete."
thisChangeSet := ChangeSet current.
workingChangeSet := ChangeSet basicNewChangeSet: 'SystemTracing-tmp'.
ChangeSet newChanges: workingChangeSet.

"Load system tracer. File the package in from a stream on the source contents
in order minimize changes to this image."
fs := FileStream oldFileNamed: systemTracerSource.
[zip := ZipArchive new readFrom: fs.
srcMember := zip members detect: [:e | e fileName = 'snapshot/source.st' ].
src := ReadStream on: srcMember contents.
src fileIn
] ensure: [fs close].

"Trace the image"
newImageName := (Smalltalk imageName copyUpToLast: $.), '-64.image'.
(Smalltalk at: #SystemTracer64)
        perform: #writeImage:interactive:
        with: newImageName
        with: false.

"Execution resumes here in the newly traced image"
Smalltalk wordSize = 8
        ifFalse: ["If word size is 4, we are in the original image, so quit now"
                        Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true]
        ifTrue: ["If word size 8, this is the new 64-bit image, so continue"].

"Remove system tracer from the image"
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'SystemTracing'.

"Return to the original change set"
ChangeSet newChanges: thisChangeSet.

"Remove the working change set, returning the image to its original state"
ChangeSet removeChangeSet: workingChangeSet.

"Clean up some garbage"
systemTracerSource := thisChangeSet := workingChangeSet := nil.
fs := src := newImageName := nil.
Smalltalk garbageCollect.