squeak.org - new version

Chris Cunnington
http://box3.squeak.org:8624

For one or two of those photos, I'm not sure of the provenance, so this
is a only a mock-up. I do think Randal capture the OLPCs quite well in
that picture from his flickr page.

Chris

Re: squeak.org - new version

Darius Clarke
Very nice. I don't have any suggests for improvement.

- Darius

Re: squeak.org - new version

timrowledge

On 11-12-2012, at 9:13 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://box3.squeak.org:8624

Me likey. Label the thumbnails and call that top part done.
Ooh, I guess the 'write once, run anywhere' bit ought to be in quotes since it is something of an industry scary-monster meme.

For the Download I suggest -
Download
Get Squeak for your computer, whether it's Windows, Mac, Linux, RISC OS, OS/2, CP/M, IBM 360 (etc) below

On The Download Page
{I don't know what packages are being built these days, so modify to suit}
The Bumper Box Assortment - all the basics plus many useful applications and tutorial components for newcomers
[list of machine/os combos]
The Basic Goodness - the basic developer system that you addd your own goodness to
[list of machine/os combos]
Expert specialities - minimal images, server setups, games bonanzas, whatever
[list of special versions, suggest packaging without VMs for simplicity]
[list of VMs]

In 'Take Part In the Innovation' I suggest dropping the redundant 'downloading...'

tim
Useful random insult:- During evolution his ancestors were in the control group.

Re: squeak.org - new version

Bert Freudenberg

On 2012-12-12, at 00:11, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11-12-2012, at 9:13 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>

> Me likey.

Yep.

> Label the thumbnails and call that top part done.

Not quite. Try making your window more narrow (or look at it on a mobile device). The blue bar doubles and there is a black button that I guess should hold the navigation info instead. Also, the margins in this narrow view are so wide that the screenshots become very tiny.

- Bert -

On 2012-12-12 3:37 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2012-12-12, at 00:11, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11-12-2012, at 9:13 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> http://box3.squeak.org:8624
>>
>> Me likey.
> Yep.
>
>> Label the thumbnails and call that top part done.
> Not quite. Try making your window more narrow (or look at it on a mobile device). The blue bar doubles and there is a black button that I guess should hold the navigation info instead. Also, the margins in this narrow view are so wide that the screenshots become very tiny.
>
> - Bert -

For sure. These are known problems. There are things about that top menu
bar I need to learn (i.e. why it doubles). And my grip of how it renders
in the smaller screens is imperfect. In short, I agree with you that
it's not done. There are lots of details I need to get under. But as a
basic idea for how the site will look, a homepage with a carousel seems
like the way to go.

I'm going to give it a break for a few days and then I'll try and work
out some of Bootstrap's finer points.

Chris

RE: squeak.org - new version

Angel "Java" Lopez-2
Hi people!

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but you could have a top menu, and
then, reserve the left menu to variable options, see example Bootstrap 2.0

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/components.html

Or you can have a top menu with dropdowns. So, more screen real estate is
available for content

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez
github:ajlopez

On 2012-12-12 4:10 PM, Angel "Java" Lopez wrote:

> Hi people!
>
> I don't know if it was mentioned before, but you could have a top menu, and
> then, reserve the left menu to variable options, see example Bootstrap 2.0
>
> http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/components.html
>
> Or you can have a top menu with dropdowns. So, more screen real estate is
> available for content
>
> Angel "Java" Lopez
> @ajlopez
> github:ajlopez
Yea, I initially wanted to push all the links up to the top menu and
remove the left menu altogether. But as said before, the top men is a
bit of a mystery to me at the moment. I figure the next version will do
that and we can see how it looks.

Chris

Re: squeak.org - new version

Chris Cunnington
Actually, prompted by these emails, I think I know why the top menu is
doubling. Well, this is a working theory, at least.

The CSS of Bootstrap is in conflict with the layout in Altitude. Similar
to Seaside, you have one div for each component/class. The squeak.org
prototype has two components, two columns: the menu bar on the left;
and, the content section on the right. Both of them, I bet, are creating
the top menu independently. It's being created twice and it appears when
the screen scale shrinks.

The solution, would be to use rows instead of columns. Then make the top
menu an Altitude component and the content section a component beneath
it. I look into it in day or two.

Chris