squeak wiki software

Gary Frederick
Howdy all,

I just started using squeak. I am interested in running a squeak wiki
on a Linux server. I see that there are various versions that I can
install. Can I get some input on the benefits of using swiki, pier and
any other choices?

We will be using the wiki to collaborate with kids that are learning
about computers.

Gary

Re: squeak wiki software

stephane ducasse
use swiki for now pier is not ready for 3min install.
:)

Stef

On 23 oct. 06, at 22:14, Gary Frederick wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I just started using squeak. I am interested in running a squeak wiki
> on a Linux server. I see that there are various versions that I can
> install. Can I get some input on the benefits of using swiki, pier and
> any other choices?
>
> We will be using the wiki to collaborate with kids that are learning
> about computers.
>
> Gary

Re: squeak wiki software

Gary Frederick
:-)

I tried swiki and it was easy to get started with. I'll see about
installing it in apache on linux (ubuntu) next weekend.

What is the state of pier? I can handle up to a 5.5 minute install
(once I'm done configuring my web/email server for virtual domains (a
2 month install at least ;-) )

Gary

On 10/24/06, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> use swiki for now pier is not ready for 3min install.
> :)
>
> Stef
>
> On 23 oct. 06, at 22:14, Gary Frederick wrote:
>
> > Howdy all,
> >
> > I just started using squeak. I am interested in running a squeak wiki
> > on a Linux server. I see that there are various versions that I can
> > install. Can I get some input on the benefits of using swiki, pier and
> > any other choices?
> >
> > We will be using the wiki to collaborate with kids that are learning
> > about computers.
> >
> > Gary

Re: squeak wiki software

keith1y
Hi Gary,

I have uploaded a preloaded image for pier. It is available on
www.squeak.org site in the downloads section.

Now that most of the features of pier can be controlled via a web-gui I
think that it is ready to have a go and see what you think.

1. gui for creating and renaming pier instances.
2. gui for managing users and groups.
3. gui for switching persistency schemes. (Null by default).
4. Clickable text scripts for starting and stopping the server (you can
edit the scripts to change the port)

Just download and go, should be less than 3 mins install time!

If you wish to customise the stylesheet then there is a how-to provided
with the image. One known issue is that if you have any problems with
this image freezing inexplicably then use a 3.6 VM. (this appears to be
a problem with my specific linux instalation)

Do let us know how you get on. Why not join the smallwiki mailing list.

best regards

Keith

Re: squeak wiki software

stephane ducasse
Thanks keith
this is was what missing to Pier.
ESUg was planning to ask lukas and netstyle for some features (back
end) and to give it to the community.
But these guys are working too much :)

Stef

On 24 oct. 06, at 17:56, keith hodges wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> I have uploaded a preloaded image for pier. It is available on
> www.squeak.org site in the downloads section.
>
> Now that most of the features of pier can be controlled via a web-
> gui I
> think that it is ready to have a go and see what you think.
>
> 1. gui for creating and renaming pier instances.
> 2. gui for managing users and groups.
> 3. gui for switching persistency schemes. (Null by default).
> 4. Clickable text scripts for starting and stopping the server (you
> can
> edit the scripts to change the port)
>
> Just download and go, should be less than 3 mins install time!
>
> If you wish to customise the stylesheet then there is a how-to
> provided
> with the image. One known issue is that if you have any problems with
> this image freezing inexplicably then use a 3.6 VM. (this appears
> to be
> a problem with my specific linux instalation)
>
> Do let us know how you get on. Why not join the smallwiki mailing
> list.
>
> best regards
>
> Keith
>

> Send instant messages to your online friends http://
> Beginners mailing list

Re: squeak wiki software

Gary Frederick
I joined the smallwiki list. I'll post there once I d/l and test.

Thanks.

Gary