squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

David Goldstrom
Hi,
   I'm working through a beginner tutorial, and like what I see so far,
but I have a side question...

   Is there a wysiwyg editor for squeak? I guess I can live without
(and use LaTEX outside of Squeak) but it would be nice to have. I don't
need "Word" or "OpenOffice" but I'd like something more like "Wordpad."

  Is SqueakMap the place to look for something like that, or is there
someplace else?

  Are there enough tools to really 'live' in a squeak environment? One
example would be a web-browser inside Squeak so that I could access
google apps?

Thanks in advance,
David G.

Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

David Mitchell-10
Have you looked at Sophie? I don't think it is something that you
typically run in your dev image. Otherwise, I'm not aware of anything.

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 1:55 PM, David Goldstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm working through a beginner tutorial, and like what I see so far,
>  but I have a side question...
>
>    Is there a wysiwyg editor for squeak? I guess I can live without
>  (and use LaTEX outside of Squeak) but it would be nice to have. I don't
>  need "Word" or "OpenOffice" but I'd like something more like "Wordpad."
>
>   Is SqueakMap the place to look for something like that, or is there
>  someplace else?
>
>   Are there enough tools to really 'live' in a squeak environment? One
>  example would be a web-browser inside Squeak so that I could access
>  google apps?
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>  David G.

Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

Klaus D. Witzel
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:55:49 +0200, David Goldstrom wrote:

> Hi,
>    I'm working through a beginner tutorial, and like what I see so far,

Welcome David :)

> but I have a side question...
>
>    Is there a wysiwyg editor for squeak? I guess I can live without
> (and use LaTEX outside of Squeak) but it would be nice to have. I don't
> need "Word" or "OpenOffice" but I'd like something more like "Wordpad."
>
>   Is SqueakMap the place to look for something like that, or is there
> someplace else?

There's a video about Sophie in action, a Squeak wysiwyg application,

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag59IDi3dgQ

and Sophie's home page is here,

- http://sophieproject.org/

>   Are there enough tools to really 'live' in a squeak environment? One
> example would be a web-browser inside Squeak so that I could access
> google apps?

Look for Scamper, I think it's on SqueakMap (it may depend on your Squeak
version).

Enjoy Squeak :)

/Klaus

> Thanks in advance,
> David G.

Re: Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

David Goldstrom
Klaus,
  Thanks for the suggestion.  I found Scamper and installed it, but how
do you start it? I tried "Scamper open", start, etc... and "Do It" but
no luck :-). I'm sure it's obvious, but I haven't quite got it yet.

Thanks for pointing me to Sophie. I can navigate to the developers site
and the latest sources for sophie, but then I find myself wondering
which .mcz files to download and install?

Any suggestions are much appreciated :-). Thanks again,
David

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:48:44 +0200, David Goldstrom wrote:

> Klaus,
>   Thanks for the suggestion.  I found Scamper and installed it, but how
> do you start it? I tried "Scamper open", start, etc... and "Do It" but
> no luck :-). I'm sure it's obvious, but I haven't quite got it yet.

It should register itself in the World menu (open->) and also in the tools
flap (drag it out).

> Thanks for pointing me to Sophie. I can navigate to the developers site
> and the latest sources for sophie, but then I find myself wondering
> which .mcz files to download and install?

I think that Sophie brings a lot of stuff in its dedicated .image, just
download it (linked from the homepage) for your platform. They have also
docs for the developer,

- http://dev.sophieproject.org/?q=book

> Any suggestions are much appreciated :-). Thanks again,
> David

You're welcome :)

> --- "Klaus D. Witzel" wrote:
>> There's a video about Sophie in action, a Squeak wysiwyg application,
>>
>> - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag59IDi3dgQ
>>
>> and Sophie's home page is here,
>>
>> - http://sophieproject.org/
>>
>> Look for Scamper, I think it's on SqueakMap (it may depend on your
>> Squeak
>> version).
>>
>> Enjoy Squeak :)
>>
>> /Klaus
>>
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > David G.

Re: Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

Sven Schott
Sorry, another beginner here. :)

I've installed Scamper(12) several times (I'm on the 3.9.1-final-7075 image for Mac) but when I try to run it I get and UndefinedObject parse: error. I'm guessing that's the equivalent of my beloved NilObject thing in Ruby (message passed to a null reference).

Any ideas?

Also, I find that many of the libraries aren't updated for 3.9 yet (3.10 has been released so it don't inspire confidence). Is this just a hiccup or are many of the libraries not updated. Also, is stuff broken so quickly between releases?

- <a href="http://dev.sophieproject.org/?q=book" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://dev.sophieproject.org/?q=book

--- "Klaus D. Witzel" wrote:
There's a video about Sophie in action, a Squeak wysiwyg application,

- <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag59IDi3dgQ" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag59IDi3dgQ

and Sophie's home page is here,

- <a href="http://sophieproject.org/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://sophieproject.org/

Look for Scamper, I think it's on SqueakMap (it may depend on your
Squeak
version).

Enjoy Squeak :)

/Klaus

> Thanks in advance,
> David G.

Re: Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

Karl-19
Sven Schott wrote:

> Sorry, another beginner here. :)
>

> I've installed Scamper(12) several times (I'm on the 3.9.1-final-7075
> image for Mac) but when I try to run it I get and UndefinedObject
> parse: error. I'm guessing that's the equivalent of my beloved
> NilObject thing in Ruby (message passed to a null reference).
>

> Any ideas?
Scamper depends on Network-HTML. You need to load that.

Karl

David Goldstrom wrote:
> Hi,
>    I'm working through a beginner tutorial, and like what I see so far,
> but I have a side question...
>
>    Is there a wysiwyg editor for squeak? I guess I can live without
> (and use LaTEX outside of Squeak) but it would be nice to have. I don't
> need "Word" or "OpenOffice" but I'd like something more like "Wordpad."

You can use a Workspace. It has the nice side effect that all text is
executable, so code is just a DoIt away from testing. A downside is that
it has no support for multiple fonts and there are issues with aligning
embedded pictures to the text.

Karl

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:59:35 +0200, Sven Schott wrote:

> Sorry, another beginner here. :)

Welcome Sven :)

> I've installed Scamper(12) several times (I'm on the 3.9.1-final-7075
> image
> for Mac) but when I try to run it I get and UndefinedObject parse: error.
> I'm guessing that's the equivalent of my beloved NilObject thing in Ruby
> (message passed to a null reference).
>
> Any ideas?

Sure ;) In SqueakMap the packages usually list their dependencies, have
you checked that required packages are already loaded. If so then I'd
suggest you contact the package's maintainer, Scamper(12) says that it
runs in the 3.9 .images and I'm sure they can help you.

> Also, I find that many of the libraries aren't updated for 3.9 yet (3.10
> has
> been released so it don't inspire confidence). Is this just a hiccup or
> are
> many of the libraries not updated. Also, is stuff broken so quickly
> between releases?

There is a concerted initiative, Squeak-dev and Squeak-web .images
containing Universe, in which authors provide a one-click-load experience
for things to run out-of-the-box. You might want to check the most recent
releases,

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-April/127393.html

If you want to have another package added to that list I'd suggest you
consider contacting the package's maintainer.

> On 4/13/08, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:48:44 +0200, David Goldstrom wrote:
>>
>>  Klaus,
>> >  Thanks for the suggestion.  I found Scamper and installed it, but how
>> > do you start it? I tried "Scamper open", start, etc... and "Do It" but
>> > no luck :-). I'm sure it's obvious, but I haven't quite got it yet.
>> >

>> It should register itself in the World menu (open->) and also in the
>> tools
>> flap (drag it out).
>>
>>  Thanks for pointing me to Sophie. I can navigate to the developers site
>> > and the latest sources for sophie, but then I find myself wondering
>> > which .mcz files to download and install?
>> >

>> I think that Sophie brings a lot of stuff in its dedicated .image, just
>> download it (linked from the homepage) for your platform. They have also
>> docs for the developer,
>>
>> - http://dev.sophieproject.org/?q=book
>>
>>  Any suggestions are much appreciated :-). Thanks again,
>> > David
>> >

>> You're welcome :)

>> application,

Re: Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 4/13/08 6:59 AM, "Sven Schott" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Sorry, another beginner here. :)
>

> I've installed Scamper(12) several times (I'm on the 3.9.1-final-7075 image
> for Mac) but when I try to run it I get and UndefinedObject parse: error. I'm
> guessing that's the equivalent of my beloved NilObject thing in Ruby (message
> passed to a null reference).

You need load in order
http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos/Network-HTML-md.4.mcz (I put for
convenience here)
http://www.squeaksource.com/Scamper/Scamper-kfr.12.mcz

And then in Workspace Scamper open.

Was not registered into open menu or in Flaps, but works...

Another old friend for FunSqueak ?

Edgar

Re: Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

David Goldstrom
Thank you. I went back and loaded Network-HTML through SqueakMap and
then Scamper, and that resolved the problem, and put the webbrowser
option in the menu. I was assuming that the dependencies were loaded.
Based on the package description for 3.6 & above. Thanks again!
David G.

El 4/13/08 10:04 AM, "David Goldstrom" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Thank you. I went back and loaded Network-HTML through SqueakMap and
> then Scamper, and that resolved the problem, and put the webbrowser
> option in the menu. I was assuming that the dependencies were loaded.
> Based on the package description for 3.6 & above. Thanks again!
> David G.

In 3.9 ?
The recipe is for 3.10, so if loading from SqueakMap works, someone should
register in Universes.

Edgar

Re: Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

Sven Schott
Thanks Karl. I loaded Network-HTML and it worked without a problem.

Quick question: would it be difficult to get the package loader to auto-install dependancies?

       --- "Klaus D. Witzel" wrote:

           There's a video about Sophie in action, a Squeak wysiwyg
           application,

           - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag59IDi3dgQ" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag59IDi3dgQ

           and Sophie's home page is here,

           - <a href="http://sophieproject.org/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://sophieproject.org/

           Look for Scamper, I think it's on SqueakMap (it may depend
           on your
           Squeak
           version).

           Enjoy Squeak :)