squeakland plugin for unix

Brad Fuller
a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone in
the know can answer:

Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
images?)

Is the vm different too? Or is the only difference the npspeak.so file
and the symbolic link it creates
(e.g. create symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox-1.5/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
`/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/npsqueak.so')

I'm afraid the squeakland vm will overwrite my current vm. True?
Can I run them independently (that is without changing directories and
creating links so they don't interfere in the "default" installation
process)

Re: squeakland plugin for unix

Brad Fuller
Brad Fuller wrote:

> a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone in
> the know can answer:
>
> Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
> images?)
>
> Is the vm different too? Or is the only difference the npspeak.so file
> and the symbolic link it creates
> (e.g. create symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox-1.5/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
> `/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/npsqueak.so')
>
> I'm afraid the squeakland vm will overwrite my current vm. True?
> Can I run them independently (that is without changing directories and
> creating links so they don't interfere in the "default" installation
> process)
BTW: I receive this error:
'Error loading ''http://www.squeakland.org/uploads/Weasel
Essay1.015/resource.10.form

 when loading the project on this page:
http://www.squeakland.org/whatis/a_essays.html

i imagine I should send this a Squeakland mailing list. Is there one?
And can someone forward this?

Re: squeakland plugin for unix

Matej Kosik-2
Hi Brad

Brad Fuller wrote:
> a few questions on the squeakland browser plugin for unix, if someone in
> the know can answer:
>
> Is the squeakland image special? (different from the regular ol' squeak
> images?)

You can find it yourself if you evaluate the following.

    SystemVersion current

I see:

    Squeakland 3.8-05 of 1 September 2005 update 546

so the image seems to be of 3.8 family. I guess that the source of the updates is also different than "normal" Squeak images (this is related to the `546' update number).

> Is the vm different too?

no, "Normal" Squeak, Squeak plugin as well as Croquet share the same virtual machine (at least I do not have problems running those different images upon the same virtual machine).

> Or is the only difference the npspeak.so file
> and the symbolic link it creates
> (e.g. create symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox-1.5/plugins/npsqueak.so' to
> `/usr/lib/squeak/3.7-7/npsqueak.so')

`npsqueak.so' is a plugin to firefox, mozilla etc. I am not aware of all the details (how things are mutually called and under what circumstances) but the code of `npsqueak.so' is able to check various things (where is the virtual machine binary, where is the plugin-image and if everything is all right, it `exec'-utes the virtual machine with proper parameters
- it tells it what image to use
- it tells it what X-window ID to use as a main window of Squeak world
and such things. `npsqueak.so' itself is not a virtual machine. It is but a glue.

> I'm afraid the squeakland vm will overwrite my current vm. True?
> Can I run them independently (that is without changing directories and
> creating links so they don't interfere in the "default" installation
> process)

Since in both cases the same vm is used, there is no conflict or problem with overwriting.
--
Matej Kosik