stream>>#nextPutAll: changed to return collection instead of the stream?

12

stream>>#nextPutAll: changed to return collection instead of the stream?

Rob Withers
This has completely broken SSL.  :-(

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll: changed to return collection instead of the stream?

cdavidshaffer
On 06/27/10 09:01, Rob Withers wrote:
> This has completely broken SSL.  :-(

I hit this as well.  Here's a patch (although you likely already fixed
it yourself).  BTW, when using SSL you definitely want the improvements
to Cryptography found on:

http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions

If someone is doing updates of Cryptography/SSL they might want to look
into getting this code into SqueakSource as having to search the
universe for a working SSL is kind of frustrating :-)

David

SSLClientHelloMsg-asByteArray.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll: changed to return collectioninstead of the stream?

Rob Withers
Hey David,

Yeah, I fixed it this way:

        writeStream := ByteArray new writeStream
                nextPutAll: self clientVersion asByteArray;
                nextPutAll: encodedCompressionMethods;
                yourself.

There is too much noise in the link you gave to find useful Crypto work.  I
found one package.   They should really integrate it into the Monticello
HTTP Crypto repository, which is where you will find SSL:

http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography

I'll need some time to make sure it is working correctly again.

Cheers,
Rob
----
The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

> I hit this as well.  Here's a patch (although you likely already fixed
> it yourself).  BTW, when using SSL you definitely want the improvements
> to Cryptography found on:
>
> http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions
>
> If someone is doing updates of Cryptography/SSL they might want to look
> into getting this code into SqueakSource as having to search the
> universe for a working SSL is kind of frustrating :-)
>
> David

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll: changed to return collectioninstead of the stream?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Rob Withers wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> Yeah, I fixed it this way:
>
> writeStream := ByteArray new writeStream
> nextPutAll: self clientVersion asByteArray;
> nextPutAll: encodedCompressionMethods;
> yourself.
>
> There is too much noise in the link you gave to find useful Crypto work.  I

There is if you don't browse it with MC.
http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions/Cryptography-mtf.13.mcz
http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions/SSL-jrd.11.mcz

Levente

> found one package.   They should really integrate it into the Monticello HTTP
> Crypto repository, which is where you will find SSL:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography
>
> I'll need some time to make sure it is working correctly again.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> ----
> The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

All Crypto except SSL and X509 passes unit tests - green.  The X509 tests
fail because the example certificates are expired.

Back to the return value of #nextPutAll:, I am surprised that such basic
protocol and classes are changing this late in the game.  How are we to know
that the current implementation is locked down and invariant?

just askin',
Rob

> writeStream := ByteArray new writeStream
> nextPutAll: self clientVersion asByteArray;
> nextPutAll: encodedCompressionMethods;
> yourself.
>
> There is too much noise in the link you gave to find useful Crypto work.
> I found one package.   They should really integrate it into the Monticello
> HTTP Crypto repository, which is where you will find SSL:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography
>
> I'll need some time to make sure it is working correctly again.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> ----
> The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

SWEET!   Somebody has been *seriously* using my SSL implementation.  I think
that's awesome!   I hope they found the basic framework useful.   Do you
know who jrd is?

We should get this into the Crypto repository forthwith.

Rob

----
The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

>> writeStream := ByteArray new writeStream
>> nextPutAll: self clientVersion asByteArray;
>> nextPutAll: encodedCompressionMethods;
>> yourself.
>>
>> There is too much noise in the link you gave to find useful Crypto work.
>
> There is if you don't browse it with MC.
> http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions/Cryptography-mtf.13.mcz
> http://croquet-src-01.oit.duke.edu:8886/Contributions/SSL-jrd.11.mcz
>

> Levente
>
>> found one package.   They should really integrate it into the Monticello
>> HTTP Crypto repository, which is where you will find SSL:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography
>>
>> I'll need some time to make sure it is working correctly again.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob
>> ----
>> The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

It was a simple protocol cleanup. Stream >> #nextPutAll: returned the
argument, but some subclasses didn't. Since Squeak 4.1 you can rely
on the return value of #nextPutAll:, since all implementors return the
argument.

Levente

On 06/27/10 10:28, Rob Withers wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> Yeah, I fixed it this way:
>
>     writeStream := ByteArray new writeStream
>         nextPutAll: self clientVersion asByteArray;
>         nextPutAll: encodedCompressionMethods;
>         yourself.
>
> There is too much noise in the link you gave to find useful Crypto
> work.  I found one package.   They should really integrate it into the
> Monticello HTTP Crypto repository, which is where you will find SSL:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography
>
> I'll need some time to make sure it is working correctly again.

As pointed out, this is an MC repo... AFAICT the most significant
changes are added ASN.1 types.  I don't think you can get SSL working
against most servers without these additions.  If you give me (cds)
write access I'd be happy to merge in the code.

David

On 06/27/10 10:59, Rob Withers wrote:
> SWEET!   Somebody has been *seriously* using my SSL implementation.  I
> think that's awesome!   I hope they found the basic framework
> useful.   Do you know who jrd is?
>
> We should get this into the Crypto repository forthwith.
>
> Rob

I don't know about others but your code is part of every image I use.
HTTP/S support is pretty much a requirement these days. :-)

David

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll: changedto returncollectioninstead of the stream?

Rob Withers
Fair enough.  It's good to be consistent.   I think I got all misusers in
the SSL code.

----
The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

>> All Crypto except SSL and X509 passes unit tests - green.  The X509 tests
>> fail because the example certificates are expired.
>>
>> Back to the return value of #nextPutAll:, I am surprised that such basic
>> protocol and classes are changing this late in the game.  How are we to
>> know that the current implementation is locked down and invariant?
>
> It was a simple protocol cleanup. Stream >> #nextPutAll: returned the
> argument, but some subclasses didn't. Since Squeak 4.1 you can rely on the
> return value of #nextPutAll:, since all implementors return the argument.
>

> Levente
>

>> just askin',
>> Rob

Sounds good.  I am tying to contact Ron, the admin, to add you.

Rob

----
The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

>>     writeStream := ByteArray new writeStream
>>         nextPutAll: self clientVersion asByteArray;
>>         nextPutAll: encodedCompressionMethods;
>>         yourself.
>>
>> There is too much noise in the link you gave to find useful Crypto
>> work.  I found one package.   They should really integrate it into the
>> Monticello HTTP Crypto repository, which is where you will find SSL:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography
>>
>> I'll need some time to make sure it is working correctly again.
>>

> As pointed out, this is an MC repo... AFAICT the most significant
> changes are added ASN.1 types.  I don't think you can get SSL working
> against most servers without these additions.  If you give me (cds)
> write access I'd be happy to merge in the code.
>
> David

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll:changed toreturn collectioninstead of the stream?

Rob Withers
>> SWEET!   Somebody has been *seriously* using my SSL implementation.  I
>> think that's awesome!   I hope they found the basic framework
>> useful.   Do you know who jrd is?
>>
>> We should get this into the Crypto repository forthwith.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> I don't know about others but your code is part of every image I use.
> HTTP/S support is pretty much a requirement these days. :-)
>
> David

That's awesome to hear!  What are you doing with it?  Squeak to squeak or
squeak to the world?  What kind of application?  Please tell me about it!

I don't know the state of the Squeak web browser.  It is a real shame that
someone didn't pick up alternative work that was done.  I was thinking a
JavaScript interpreter would be cool to have and then why not turn Squeak
into a browser, a la Chrome.

:-)

Rob

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll:changed toreturn collectioninstead of the stream?

cdavidshaffer

> That's awesome to hear!  What are you doing with it?  Squeak to squeak
> or squeak to the world?  What kind of application?  Please tell me
> about it!

We talk to Google Docs via the various APIs (DocumentsList, Spreadsheets
and a couple others) over https.  I believe that my AmazonAWS code also
uses https.  For a while we were also talking to an IBM Jazz server over
SSL but that project was put on the back burner.  I have a custom

> I don't know the state of the Squeak web browser.  It is a real shame
> that someone didn't pick up alternative work that was done.  I was
> thinking a JavaScript interpreter would be cool to have and then why
> not turn Squeak into a browser, a la Chrome.

:-)  I think there is a nearly complete Javascript interpreter for
Smalltalk somewhere.  Still, a decent web browser is hard to do.  I've
seen several attempts in various Smalltalks and most are slow and render
poorly (under Linux anyway).

David

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll:changed toreturn collectioninsteadof the stream?

Rob Withers
>> That's awesome to hear!  What are you doing with it?  Squeak to squeak
>> or squeak to the world?  What kind of application?  Please tell me
>> about it!
>
> We talk to Google Docs via the various APIs (DocumentsList, Spreadsheets
> and a couple others) over https.  I believe that my AmazonAWS code also
> uses https.  For a while we were also talking to an IBM Jazz server over
> SSL but that project was put on the back burner.  I have a custom

OH!  It seems your response got cutoff...   Sounds exciting, what you have
written.  Which image?  Croquet, Pharo?

>> I don't know the state of the Squeak web browser.  It is a real shame
>> that someone didn't pick up alternative work that was done.  I was
>> thinking a JavaScript interpreter would be cool to have and then why
>> not turn Squeak into a browser, a la Chrome.
>>

> :-)  I think there is a nearly complete Javascript interpreter for
> Smalltalk somewhere.  Still, a decent web browser is hard to do.  I've
> seen several attempts in various Smalltalks and most are slow and render
> poorly (under Linux anyway).

Yeah, doing a web browser would be hard.

Cheers,
Rob

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll: changed toreturn collectioninstead of the stream?

Josh Gargus
On Jun 27, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Rob Withers wrote:

> SWEET!   Somebody has been *seriously* using my SSL implementation.  I think that's awesome!   I hope they found the basic framework useful.   Do you know who jrd is?

John Dougan, lead Cobalt developer at Duke.

Cheers,
Josh

On 06/28/10 04:20, Rob Withers wrote:

> [...]
Oops, I think I meant to mention a "SSLSocketStream" wrapper but I
forgot to finish the e-mail.  Basically I wrap the HTTP or HTTPS socket
in a stream which is either a SocketStream or an SSLSocketStream.  That
way I don't need to worry about what kind of socket I'm interacting
with.  Or, maybe I was going to mention that I have my own HTTP/S client
library as well.  I'd like to see both of these make their way into the
community if my employer is willing.

For this work I've been using Squeak (3.9 most recently but now I'm
moving to 4.1).

David

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll: changedtoreturn collectioninstead of the stream?

Rob Withers
Hey Josh,

OpenCobalt looks great!   I can't tell you how happy it makes me that after
all the months of effort I put in to an SSL implementation, and it did take
some serious effort, that it is being used productively at Duke and by
David.  Two serious users!   Fantastic!

Cheers,
Rob

> On Jun 27, 2010, at 7:59 AM, Rob Withers wrote:
>
>> SWEET!   Somebody has been *seriously* using my SSL implementation.  I
>> think that's awesome!   I hope they found the basic framework useful.
>> Do you know who jrd is?
>
> John Dougan, lead Cobalt developer at Duke.
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>

>> We should get this into the Crypto repository forthwith.
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> ----
>> The Modern Whig Party of Virginia - http://vawhigs.org

David,

I'd love to see your SSLSocketStream if you feel comfortable and able in
sharing it.

Cheers,
Rob

>>> We talk to Google Docs via the various APIs (DocumentsList, Spreadsheets
>>> and a couple others) over https.  I believe that my AmazonAWS code also
>>> uses https.  For a while we were also talking to an IBM Jazz server over
>>> SSL but that project was put on the back burner.  I have a custom
>>
>> OH!  It seems your response got cutoff...   Sounds exciting, what you
>> have written.  Which image?  Croquet, Pharo?
>>
> Oops, I think I meant to mention a "SSLSocketStream" wrapper but I
> forgot to finish the e-mail.  Basically I wrap the HTTP or HTTPS socket
> in a stream which is either a SocketStream or an SSLSocketStream.  That
> way I don't need to worry about what kind of socket I'm interacting
> with.  Or, maybe I was going to mention that I have my own HTTP/S client
> library as well.  I'd like to see both of these make their way into the
> community if my employer is willing.
>
> For this work I've been using Squeak (3.9 most recently but now I'm
> moving to 4.1).
>
> David

Re: stream>>#nextPutAll: changed toreturn collectioninstead of the stream?

Rob Withers
David,

I got you added as a Developer on the Cryptography project.  Here is the MC
Repository info for you (just add your password):

MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography'
    user: 'cds'
    password: ''

Cheers,
Rob

>>     writeStream := ByteArray new writeStream
>>         nextPutAll: self clientVersion asByteArray;
>>         nextPutAll: encodedCompressionMethods;
>>         yourself.
>>
>> There is too much noise in the link you gave to find useful Crypto
>> work.  I found one package.   They should really integrate it into the
>> Monticello HTTP Crypto repository, which is where you will find SSL:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography
>>
>> I'll need some time to make sure it is working correctly again.
>>

> As pointed out, this is an MC repo... AFAICT the most significant
> changes are added ASN.1 types.  I don't think you can get SSL working
> against most servers without these additions.  If you give me (cds)
> write access I'd be happy to merge in the code.
>
> David

SqueakSource is down

David T. Lewis
I'm not sure if this information is of any use, but I think that the
failure occured in the process of doing a file upload.

Details: The failure apparently occured while I was doing an update
to the CommandShell project about two hours ago. Specifically, I was
doing a save on package CommandShell-base to create new version
CommandShell-Base-dtl.6.mcz.  The save procedure completed locally
(the new version is in my local package-cache), and then failed about
3/4 of the way through the upload to SqueakSource. The upload timed
out at that point, and SqueakSource has been down since that time.

Dave

12